Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peavey Classic 30 redesigned?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Peavey Classic 30 redesigned?

Hello,

I am seriously thinking about selling my Vox ad50vt for an all tube amp around 30/50 watts.
    I have heard nothing but good for the Peavey Classics and wondered if the new redesigned classics were a let down or are still as good as the previous version?

Any insght on this?

I want a nice tube amp around the 400 dollar range? Any suggestions I will even consider an older Fender that may need some repair. I want a nice clean sound like a Fender.

Thank you for your time and help.

M29

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

You could get a used Fender Deluxe Reverb. 22 watts of pure heaven. The Hot Rod Deluxe has some great clean tones too.

Or a Reverend Hellhound/Kingsnake.

I guess those may be just over your budget, but not by much.
    Last edited by Robert; April 20th, 2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spelllin
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Robert, I am so confused. I have been looking for quite a while now and there are a lot of very nice amps in that range but I don't know what to do. I want a super clean Fender clean but then again I want to be able to drive the tubes hard at lower levels. I suppose I can do that with a pedal but there is nothing like doing it with the amp. Then again I have my Valve Junior for the low level playing. Shoot maybe a ratted out Marshall 50 watt would do it if I could find one cheap enough. But that is not Fender clean although I do like the Marshall sound.

It is so confusing, I don't know what to do...

Thanks for the help Robert.
    M29

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you get a nice clean Fender tube amp? It's nice to have lots of headroom in an amp for big clean tones. As you say, you still have the Epi Valve Jr to get cranked tones out of.

You can never go wrong with a good Fender amp. I'd stay away from the bigger Fenders like Twins though (unless you are giggin), because those you wanna crank up a bit to get a good tone, and man they get LOUD!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I played the new C-30 in GC, and I think it compared fine. I did not have the two side by side to truly compare. But, I think it is more of a looks thing, plus I they added a tube guard, and maybe something to cure tube rattle, which can occur. Ebay has good used C-30s for around $300 (plus or minus) plus shipping all the time. I got mine on Craigslist in excellent shape for $300 plus shipping from SLC. I think the C-30 is a really excellent option in the price range and would not hesitate to recommend it. Does clean really well and warm, and can dirty up just fine. Can do anything from clean up to good, hard, rock, but doen't really do true metal from what I understand. The only metal I have played is Robert's Back in Black lesson, which, other than the faults in my playing, sounds fine through the amph. I tried out a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and it was really nice. But for my purposes, the C-30 for a good deal less was the way to go. The difference went into pedals and such. It sounds good clean at low volumes too. Clean channel, set at 3, use the guitar to control volume. (got that approach from Sr. Spud!)
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

How would the Classic 30 do with a band as far as being loud enough with a fairly loud drummer? I have two 12 inch speakers I can add. I am really interested in this amp

M29

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't play in a band so can't help you there. I do think it gets really loud though and should be able to keep up with a drummer. Here are a couple links to old threads discussing the amp in detail, and the second I know includes some nice clips from StingX using just his guitar and the amp.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...ghlight=peavey

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...ghlight=peavey

I think the comments indicate it is loud enough for band use.

Oh, and to be clear, when I am playing at home, I usually set the amp on clean channel, volume at 3, and add a Boss DS-1 and a Bad Monkey, or sometimes just the monkey. Then I use the guitar volume to control my volume. That is the approach I got from Spud. I think Tone may do it most of the time opposite, dirty channel, amp turned up quite a bit, no pedals, and using the volume knob on the guitar. Backing off the volume to clean it up. I have not used that method much yet and may have it wrong. Tone, let me know if I have that wrong. I think StingX is a mostly a guitar straight into amph guy too.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Hello,

How would the Classic 30 do with a band as far as being loud enough with a fairly loud drummer? I have two 12 inch speakers I can add. I am really interested in this amp

M29
    The C30 is more than capable of of competing against the loudest of drummers. I have never had an issue in this regard.

The C30 is an animal. Without any mods other than a complete tube swap to JJs, I can get great tonal variation from it. The sweet spot on the clean channel is around "5" where the tube break up will make you melt. Push it a bit harder and use your volume control knob to go from beautiful cleans to in your face growl.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I had not got to a search on this yet and this is very helpful. I am now sold on the Classic 30 I just have to decide if I should get an older version or if a new one will be good enough. I don't know if I will trade my Vox in or sell it. It is always better to sell outright and that is probably what I will do.

Thanks again all.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Someone has a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for sale out by me for 375.00. Do you think I should look into this? I will give them a call tonight to get more info. I have heard mixed reviews on this amp. Any thoughts?

Thank you
    M29

Post Thanks / Like

I'll say it again....the Classic 30 is a neat little sucker. It's loud enough and it has surprisingly good tone. If all you had was $300 or $400 bones to play with and you found one for that price, go for it.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will stick with the Peavey. I found a guy with a Classic 30 for 350.00 but it was not on ebay it was on a craigs list. I am not sure about buying from him, I never bought off of a Craig's list, I would like to have more of a guarantee. Has anyone bought like this?

M29

Post Thanks / Like

I have not bought off of Craigslist but I just recently sold a fly rod for $300 using it. Ask to do business with Pay Pal just as you would on an Ebay auction and things should go smoothly. Email the dude several times and ask him for pics etc....even if his ad already had pics. Ask again. Good communication should make it a good deal.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think I will stick with the Peavey. I found a guy with a Classic 30 for 350.00 but it was not on ebay it was on a craigs list. I am not sure about buying from him, I never bought off of a Craig's list, I would like to have more of a guarantee. Has anyone bought like this?

M29
    That is how I bought mine. Craigslist from SLC, about a 4.5 hour drive. I paid with paypal. My item was delivered on time and in excellent condition. I had corresponded in detail with the guy first, seeing lots of pics and discussing packaging, etc. From our communication, I could tell the guy was a true guitar enthusiast and tone freak. He had purchased a Vox AC30 and did not need the Peavey. I got a good feel and went for it.
    I am not exactly sure what the protection is on paypal when it is craigslist and not ebay. I think there is some. I did not have to find out though. I am sure you will love the C30. I had debated between getting the AD50VT and the Peavey. I do not regret getting the C30 at all! If I add a smaller or extra amp, or when my son needs one, I may consider getting an AD30VT.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Someone has a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for sale out by me for 375.00. Do you think I should look into this? I will give them a call tonight to get more info. I have heard mixed reviews on this amp. Any thoughts?

Thank you
    M29
    Get both! The HRD has a little more swat and higher clean headroom if you need it. If not you will be quite happy with the C30. I have both and use them accordingly.

More breakup at lower volume - C30.
    Fender shimmer and sparkly clean headroom - Hot Rod Deluxe
    Best of both worlds - get both.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I just wrote the guy on the 30 and asked for pics and where he lived and what condition it is in. There was nothing listed with it I have no idea what it is like. I did not get that good a feeling with him. He wrote my first email back and said yeah you can have it for 350 and no other info. You think he would give me a little speel or something...

On another note I can get a display model combo at the local GC for 500.00. I have 400 so I would have to put it in layaway but I might go that way. I just don't know what was redesigned on the new models. They advertise the chassis as redesigned but is that with cheap integrated tube sockets and cheaper hardware? I can't imagine a redesign that would be in he consumers favor. I like the idea of getting new one though.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

What about Ebay have you checked there? I would seriously wait for one on Ebay. If you don't have a good gut feeling from that guy on Craigslist follow your instincts. Don't spend too much on the Classic I know you can get one for $300 or so just be a little patient.

Also check out the other Classic 30s listed on Craigslist there are a couple more of them out there right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Craigslist is local. Why not make arrangements to see it and if you like it after inspecting then buy it. Some people are not good at selling their stuff or just can't be bothered to hype the sale. That's how most people are. I deal with North Jersey Craigslist transactions all the time. I actually prefer it over Ebay...no shipping and most of the time a cash transaction on the cheap. If you need to, bring a more experienced person along to inspect it.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

He might have seen a C30 from another city it sounds like. All the better if you found one locally. Take sting's advice and ask to check it out in person. If you did a google search for it and they're from other cities then keep asking questions for pics and info. Which one of the C30s are you interested in...where is it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast