Thread: New Strat Experience-- Amber Satin Trans Standard Squier

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Strat Experience-- Amber Satin Trans Standard Squier

This guitar was $149.99 at Sam Ash.com. I bought it with the purpose of swapping the neck and keeping the rest stock. The 24- hour outcome was as follows:

• I loved the playability and tone of the guitar.
    • It played smoothly, the neck profile was perfect for me.
    • The pickups sounded full and Stratty.
    • The trem was smooth and kept the guitar in tune with minor use.
    • However, the Satin Amber Trans color was horrendous. It was more of an electric yellow that highlighted the flaws of the five-piece sandwich body wood.
    • Every time I looked at the color, it made me feel uncomfortable and was intolerable.

So I decided to exchange it for an Antique Burst Squier Standard.

The Standard Squier Strat (Indonesia) really is an excellent value guitar and every bit a Strat. Even the 70's fat headstock wasn't as much of an issue as I previously thought. The tone of the Alnico pickups oozed Strat and the neck was so smooth, thin, and natural in my hand that I had to upgrade the price ($50.00) and get the Antique Burst, which is beautiful. I will keep the neck on the next one -- it was that good.

I'll post pics when I get the new one.
    Last edited by Sblack; April 25th, 2007 at 07:58 AM.
    Guitars: Ibanez SCA220BP, Modded Squier Bullet Strat, Ibanez ARX100CA

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

Videos/messing around with gear:
    http://www.youtube.com/wwwdwhite
    My Music:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=498962

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the Squiers are great value. It's nice to have a few cheaper guitars - then it's not a heart attack happening if something happens to it. If I actually had a nice Suhr guitar (2-3 grand), I'd be paranoid about taking it to bar gigs! Once I had a drunken biker chick fall on the mike stand, which in turn slammed right on top of my guitar neck. I have a nice "neck dent memory" from that gig...
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Yeah, the Squiers are great value. It's nice to have a few cheaper guitars - then it's not a heart attack happening if something happens to it. If I actually had a nice Suhr guitar (2-3 grand), I'd be paranoid about taking it to bar gigs! Once I had a drunken biker chick fall on the mike stand, which in turn slammed right on top of my guitar neck. I have a nice "neck dent memory" from that gig...

I actually laughed out loud when I read this. The drunk biker chick is a classic bar gig tale, Robert. Kudos!

I am all about cheap guitars that play and sound great -- so many bargains out there as you have flawlessly demonstrated many times on your site.

Back to the Squier Strat . . . I am actually debating on keeping the ugly yellow-colored guitar due to its awesome playability and tone. I just can't get it out of my hands. I can always spray paint the body a tolerable color, right?
    Guitars: Ibanez SCA220BP, Modded Squier Bullet Strat, Ibanez ARX100CA

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

Videos/messing around with gear:
    http://www.youtube.com/wwwdwhite
    My Music:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=498962

Post Thanks / Like

I am surprised your Amber Satin Strat seems so "yellow." Mine doesn't give me that impression. The neck was fairly bowed when I received it, but tightening the truss rod resolved it and I have since been very happy with it.
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I had the same sort of thing happen when playing for the end of the year employee party in Yellowstone Park, except it was a 260 lb drunk dude. He hit the mic stand which then hit my finger and then onto the guitar neck popping out one end of a fret and leaving a huge ding in the neck of my Ibanez RG450. Ted Kellison of Kellison Guitars in Billings Montana fixed it for me. I still have a mic stand that is permanently bent sort of like there was a goose neck on the top. That was one big mass of drunk man flying through the air. I just wish it would have been me that tossed him.

Not in the price range of a Suhr but it hurts nonetheless.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.