Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Anyone get to try the new deluxe Squiers?

Thread: Anyone get to try the new deluxe Squiers?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone get to try the new deluxe Squiers?

Has anyone tried any of the new models yet? Man I keep drooling at the Squier webpage!

My B&C may have to go... I can't stop looking!
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen one in a store yet here at the North Pole.

I think I am done Squiers for a little while - I want a higher end Strat next, not sure yet what it will be.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tremoloman
    Has anyone tried any of the new models yet? Man I keep drooling at the Squier webpage!

My B&C may have to go... I can't stop looking!
    You and me both. I love that Vintage Modified SSS in sunburst, but I can't part with 299 clams at this point.

I did buy one of the Squier Standard Strats (Amber Trans Satin -- the color is too electric, though) and it plays like a dream. I can't believe the quality coming out of Indonesia.
    Guitars: Ibanez SCA220BP, Modded Squier Bullet Strat, Ibanez ARX100CA

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

Videos/messing around with gear:
    http://www.youtube.com/wwwdwhite
    My Music:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=498962

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, the new SSH Squier Vintage Modified Tele got a pretty mediocre review among about 35 other guitars under $500 by Guitar Player mag. They specifically pointed out the pickups, esp. the bridge and middle, as being bland/weak, which surprised me for Duncan pickups. So I'd definitely suggest "try before you buy", which most of us around here would anyway....

BTW, MF has both the SSS and HSS VM Strats in stock, though not in all colors.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Luvin' my Vintage Modified SH. The pickups are "Duncan Designed" not SD proper, so that may have something to do with the lackluster reviews. I think they are pretty good, though I may upgrade them down the road. The middle position (neck + bridge) is kinda useless, but the neck and bridge settings are decent enough for me. I'm thinking of adding a 5-way super strat switch to give me some more options (tap the neck 'bucker etc.) a la the Fat Tele. The pots are pretty scratchy and I think there may be a ground issue that I'll deal with the next time I change strings. Nothing I didn't expect for an off-shore model, though for the price ($350 CDN) I had hoped for a bit more quality control.

That said, the neck is absolutely dreamy, tuners are tight and stable, intonation was spot on right off the rack.

Did I say I love the neck?

Has anyone tried out one of the thinline tele's yet?
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... I tried one of the new Vintage Modified Strats (Onlymic White) when I was making a payment on my Bass VI. My God, the neck was PERFECT and worlds better than any Squier I'd ever seen. I'd say the neck felt exactly as they Japan Pink Paisley / Blue Floral models feel - very nice!

I didn't plug it in before I got any stupid ideas... :P
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tremoloman
    I've played both of the Vintage Modified Squier Jazz basses, and unfortunately, I was not highly impressed.

The fretless model did not either feel or sound as nice as my SX. It sure looked nice in all of its "Jaco" trim (lined fretless, burst finish, no pickguard), but it did not deliver the goods. The '70s style natural was the one I really, really wanted to like. I've been wanting a natural finish Jazz bass, and the block inlay neck just made it so much more cool. Unfortunately, it too did not measure up in the pickup department, plus, on the one I got to sample, the frets were downright painful at the edges. A few runs and the fingers on my left hand were beginning to resemble sandpaper. I also played a Highway 1 Fender Jazz, plus a couple of Warwick Rockbass guitars that day (Streamer Std and Corvette Basic). The Squier instruments were left in the dust.

I guess that if I get a natural jazz style bass, I'll be calling up Kurt at Rondo.

Edited: I should mention that I ended up buying a Squier Bronco bass from this same store later, and just for giggles, I checked it out in comparison to the natural Jazz (I really did want that one), and I thought the Bronco was the higher quality of the two.
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass