Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Which pickup would you use? BIGTIME Pickup quandary
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which pickup would you use? BIGTIME Pickup quandary

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which pickup would you use? BIGTIME Pickup quandary

Im assuming the higher the resistance the hotter the pickup. With that said, I want something that will sound better than that stock mexi strat pickups

The price on these pickups are unbeatable and Im going to buy a set, I just need some advice on which one.

Heres my quandary

Vintage? <- not hot enough for hard rock???
    http://store.guitarfetish.com/vistsewhwobl.html

Overwound? <- possibly too hot to keep a surfy sound???
    http://store.guitarfetish.com/ovstserewowh.html
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Probably doesn't matter much, 'cuz even the overwound one isn't super-hot, but keep this in mind: It's easy enough to add gain/distortion through amps and pedals, but awfully hard to clean up what's already dirty! Kind of like trying to take salt out of your soup....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Off Topic A Bit
    I know this'll probably sound stupid, but is it OK to put regular right-handed pickups in my left-handed guitar? Do you just install them rotated 180° so the correct pole is under the correct string?
    Back To Topic
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Probably doesn't matter much, 'cuz even the overwound one isn't super-hot, but keep this in mind: It's easy enough to add gain/distortion through amps and pedals, but awfully hard to clean up what's already dirty! Kind of like trying to take salt out of your soup....
    I hear what your saying, Thats my quandary.

Would you think that the overwounds are comparable to the Texas Specials? and the Vintage maybe equivalent to the Fat 50s?

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WackyT
    Off Topic A Bit
    I know this'll probably sound stupid, but is it OK to put regular right-handed pickups in my left-handed guitar? Do you just install them rotated 180° so the correct pole is under the correct string?
    Back To Topic
    I would think that you would need to get lefty pickups because of the reversed poles., I dont know though.

Guitars:

Amps:

Pedals:

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered the overwounds, If I dont like the sound they make Im only out 21.00

Guitars:

Amps:

Pedals:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Rob
    I would you think that the overwounds are comparable to the Texas Specials? and the Vintage maybe equivalent to the Fat 50s?
    Something like that, I would expect.

I ordered a set of the overwounds myself. Couldn't pass up that deal!! The desciption said they sounded "sweet & vintagey", so they can't be super-hot.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WackyT
    Off Topic A Bit
    Back To Topic
    Yes, just mount them upside-down. Physical orientation doesn't affect their electromagnetic polarity.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, just mount them upside-down. Physical orientation doesn't affect their electromagnetic polarity.
    Thanks DVM.
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

Something like that, I would expect.

I ordered a set of the overwounds myself. Couldn't pass up that deal!! The desciption said they sounded "sweet & vintagey", so they can't be super-hot.
    21 dollars plus change is too good a deal to pass up. And like I said, If I dont like em, I can always put on my stocks

Guitars:

Amps:

Pedals:

Post Thanks / Like

I'll just post here what my MIM Tele has right now:

Bridge

A very hot and BOLD ALNICO vintage Tele bridge pickup with TONE, TONE, TONE!! A cool and unique pickup- priced right.

I've installed a couple of these and been blown away by how full and rich they sound, and yet how damn snappy they are. You know the problem with Tele bridge pickups- you've got the "vintage" Tele bridge pickups that usually sound just a bit too thin and have just a bit too little output for modern needs- and the "Beefed Up" Tele pickups that sound more like humbuckers. I think the Hot TC Alnico strike a nice balance. Big, fat and warm, but with the kind of focused Tele intensity that really drives an amp. The copper baseplate gives you a tremendously nice balance between tele "Snap" and P90 growl- The overwound coil clocks in at around 10K, which gives this pickup a bit more OOMPH.

The "Hot TC Alnico" bridge pickup is built to rock- sweet correct vintage styled Alnico 5 magnets- flat cut polepieces, cool vintage cloth coil wrap, ultra thin vintage style copper windings, all beautifully vacuum impregnated with genuine Paraffin wax.

Neck

The World's Best, biggest, snapiest and most toneful Tele Neck Pickups!! You know the problem with Tele neck pickups- The great looking and vintage correct chrome covered pickups tend to sound dead and totally bassy- And even if you get them overwound there's still no string snap- Hey- why should the Strat players have all the fun??

Back in the 80's I used to make these by hand- I'd start with a set of Strat fiber bobbins, carefully shave them down with an exact knife- drill out the holes to accomodate P Bass polepieces, the lacquer dip em, wind with 42 gauge Formvar wire on my sweet 1/2 HP Baldor motor pickup winding rig, wax dip the whole thing and dress it up with correct vintage black cord.

The HUGE polepieces looked amazing, and my tele had the kind of string snap and presence that NO TELE ON EARTH HAD. I played all over the place with that guitar, and due to popular request I sold a bunch for $90, even sold a few to some then-famous rock stars.

15 years later I finally had the scratch to have a proper run of these made, using my exact formula- I gotta say- these are amazing! These are ALNICO polepieces, all corect vintage everything, even cloth covered wires. I promise you- there is no better tele neck pickup on the planet if you're after bg, bold tone.

As always, your mileage might vary, but I find this combination pretty cool, preserving twang on the bridge, while adding a lot of beef to the neck.

And here's a pic of my Tele just for fun.

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice tele! Should I assume that you put the stock cover on the pickup?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Alnico Fatbody in my Tele Special neck position. It sounds more like a Strat pickup. So if that is what you want it's a good pickup for it. Otherwise, IMHO it doesn't sound Tele any more.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Nice tele! Should I assume that you put the stock cover on the pickup?
    Thanks, and yup.

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

I was toying with the idea of getting some Fatboys for my Charvel. Any clips?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Rob
    Overwound? <- possibly too hot to keep a surfy sound???
    http://store.guitarfetish.com/ovstserewowh.html
    the overwound set has a texas bridge (hot) and a warmed over middle with a vintage neck.... nice overall sound...
    Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, anybody know who the "major manufacturer" who makes these is? Seymour Duncan? DiMarzio? Somebody else?

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I sent them an email asking who it was and heres what Jay sent me back this reply

Our description on the item page is all the info we can disclose.

Jay
    Last edited by Big_Rob; May 4th, 2007 at 07:37 AM. Reason: DOH!

Guitars:

Amps:

Pedals:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big K
    the overwound set has a texas bridge (hot) and a warmed over middle with a vintage neck.... nice overall sound...
    Sweet!!! That makes me so stoked that I bought them.

Guitars:

Amps:

Pedals:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast