Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
DVM's Screamin Banshee OD Pedal

Thread: DVM's Screamin Banshee OD Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVM's Screamin Banshee OD Pedal

Ive had this thing since about Wednesday, and since then Ive been playing alot more! But mostly Ive been tinkerin with my tone with my amp(VOX ad30vt) and my new pedal. I think Ive got my amp somewhat dialed in...but now Im playing with the different opamps. I played with the TS808 for the first 2 days, but yesterday I swapped it for the TS9...and Im really diggin it! A little moreso than the other, Id describe it as less "ching-y" and more clean drive.
    Im kinda anxious to try the other opamps but Im totally diggin where Im at now...has anybody tried the others yet? Observations???

BTW DVM, everybody who has seen or played this has loved it...even the bass player. Whens the next batch???

PS check your PM box DVM.

Post Thanks / Like

No opamp notes? Compairisons?

Post Thanks / Like

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DVM...how many of those Zonkers did you sell? I guess everybody just uses the one you plugged in for em? *shrug*

Post Thanks / Like

I sold five of them. I'm pretty sure Tone2theBone has played around some with his opamps....

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you dont mind me quoting your PM...
    Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    One other thing--none of the opamps I included with your Banshee are what I'd call a "TS-9 chip". Most TS-9's were made with the same JRC4558D opamp as the TS-808. The key differences are elsewhere, in a couple of resistor ratings. Some TS-9's do come with a rather inferior opamp called the TA75558P, but I certainly wouldn't include one of those. So I'm curious--which one are you referring to as the "TS-9" chip?
    I guess I just assumed that it was the TS-9 by the description given as well as the 9 in the number
    its first cousin, the TI RC4559P
    But thats which one Im using currently.

Post Thanks / Like

By "first cousin", I was refering back to the RC4558P chip, which is used by several boutique pedal builders for Tube Screamer clones. The RC4559P is one of my favorite TS chips. To my ear, it's a tad grittier and fuller sounding than the stock JRC4558D chip, but a little more articulate than the RC4558P. These are pretty subtle differences, though.

My current favorite TS chip is the TI TLC2272ACP, which I bought after my original batch of ZYS IC's. It seems to do everything well. Very nice single note clarity for soloing, while still maintaining a nice grind for chord work. $1.55 each at Mouser.com.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I have played around with the opamps yeah but I'm currently using the STM LM833N. Voodoo says it's tailored to high gain/low noise applications. I don't play with high gain per se but I do like that bit of edge on the pedal and I'll use my guitar volume knob backed off to clean up the sound. I like the way it hits the amp that way. My guitar volume knob is seldom ever turned up all the way, it's usually backed off to about 7 or so. I run treble bleeds on my guitars and I like the way it behaves with the knob on 7/8.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, the LM833N is a bit less noisy when using the ZYS's high gain setting, which is about 4x the stock TS gain. Since the Banshee uses the stock gain range, I didn't include the LM833N among the opamps for that pedal, substituting the RC4559P instead.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Got home and fired everything up, but when I fired up the OD pedal everything went all muddy,the bass was farty sounding...it was so bad I had to double check my bass setting(maybe my cat tweaked it)...everything was fine, then I got to thinking maybe I drove the speaker to an untimely death...then for some reason I decided to replace the 9 volt it put in the pedal days ago, BIG surprise! That was it! Im a total dumass and should have known better...Its been years since Ive had individual foot pedals, I guess for some reason I thought things were different.

BTW I also swapped out/tried the boutique opamp...sounds nice, but the difference is even more subtle than the last swap.