Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Does Epiphone count?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Epiphone count?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does Epiphone count?

My buddy just bought a Vintage Faded SG 400 from MF, first ones neck was broke...2 weeks later(even I lost sleep!) he got another...thing is BADNESS!!! But hes hardheaded and the the setup is terrible. He brought it to "jam night" and I played a couple tunes on it...as I was playing "the Rover" I could hear the intonation...action high, trying to accomodate the truss rod adjustment, rear humbucker raised and slanted. I offered my services...even offered a new set of Elixcers(hes never tried em) to try and get my hands on to rectify the (set up)situation...but this guy knows more about nothing, and nothing about something...hes helpless and for no good reason!

Well since(I talked him into financing his) Ive had my eye on these....I even found a great SG forum...Ive been drooling seriously! Did you know ALL of these are NITRO'd?!? Ive gotta have one! Ive even considered that this is a 5 week pay period!! BUT today, to my surprise, I found Ive paid off a credit card...and am seriously considering financing one of these...but I dont want the "vintage" but the BLACK SG 400 Epi...even the Goth model has my attention.

Im really trying to vent some GAS, but I think Im gonna bite the bullet...any opinions, ideas or suggestions. Im kinda findin it strange that the SG 400 is $100 more than the "vintage"...but I gotta have that BLACK!!! And no matter the model...Im thinkin Toni Iommi's, so the pups and pots arent an issue and easily remidied in the not so distant future.

PS I have no intentions to mail order this!
    Last edited by ShortBuSX; May 7th, 2007 at 08:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Now Im itchin for en Epiphone Les Paul...maybe a Standard or Plain top...I dunno...but Im feelin a new Epiphone in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBuSX
    Now Im itchin for en Epiphone Les Paul...maybe a Standard or Plain top...I dunno...but Im feelin a new Epiphone in the near future.

Which leads me right back into the Epi vs. Agile vs. Samick LP deal. Gotta save up for a nice one and then decide.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Short, methinks you need one of THESE....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Hey, Short, methinks you need one of THESE....
    Yeah, I NEED one of those...but I was thinking more along the lines of THIS

MY buddy's set up was so bad that I couldnt play it long, he didnt have a strap so I had to play it seated...but after reading a couple reviews, I get the impression that its neck heavy, so Im kinda second guessing that choice...kinda makes the Les Paul even more desireable.

Post Thanks / Like

Play an SG with a strap on standing up before you buy one. They can be neck heavy which makes playing them a bummer sometimes. Just some advice.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Play an SG with a strap on standing up before you buy one. They can be neck heavy which makes playing them a bummer sometimes. Just some advice.
    Nothing worse than a neck heavy guitar, no matter how cool it is.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

So does anybody here have an SG?

The Epiphone LPs that Im interested in are the Standard and the Standard plain top...any opinions would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

No SG, but I do have an Epi Elitist LP Standard that is a sweet guitar. Plays as well as any Gibson LP I've tried. The Elitist series guitars are made by topnotch Japanese luthiers, and rival Gibson USA quality in every respect but the electronics, from all I've read. I upgraded the pickups with Seymour Duncans and did some fancy rewiring with push/pull pots, and it does everything I want it to now. I paid $700 for mine on closeout from MF about a year and a half ago.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

So does anybody here have an SG?

The Epiphone LPs that Im interested in are the Standard and the Standard plain top...any opinions would be appreciated.
    You can't go wrong there. The Standard is the way to go. The plain top is pretty blah in my opinion. Too bad you didn't get in on the Music123 quilt top deal last month. I'm loving mine and play it all the time.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Got any pics posted of it?

Post Thanks / Like

So I went to Sam Ash last night...to my dissapointment they dont carry epiphone, but I was able to try out a couple of used Standard LPs...Im gonna bite! By now my delima is where do I get it from? There is no place local for me to get it. I dont want a broken one sent via UPS from MusiciansFriend, I dont trust that combo after seeing my buddys busted SG and the hellish(3 week) wait to get the situation rectified...but I tend to blame UPS moreso cause they recently lost a package of mine from MF in the same week.
    So whos a good mail order outlet...or do you believe these to be isolated incidents?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a B-stock Epi LP Std. with the flame maple "Plus Top" from Music123 for $400 and free shipping:

http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-Les...-i102841.music

These B-stock guitars generally have very minor flaws and are an excellent value. Music123 ships by FedEx and from what I've seen, the vast majority of those Fullerton and Aria close-out guitars they've been shipping have been arriving in good shape....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Every transaction I've had with Musician's Friend has been positive. I ordered my SG and both Les Pauls from them - no hassles, no broken / bad instruments, no lost orders. The only issue I have with MF is backordering - sometimes it takes a while to get what you order if it's not already in stock.

Considering my experience, and the flood of orders MF takes every day, I think your buddy's experience was the exception.

One caveat - every guitar I've ordered from MF shipped with a hard shell case. That in itself is major shipping protection.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    Considering my experience, and the flood of orders MF takes every day, I think your buddy's experience was the exception.
    You know I tend to agree with you to some degree...I really feel its UPS thats the problem, and more specificlly its likely just the Jacksonville facility, I KNOW thats where mine got lost...and I suspect his was damaged there too.

One caveat - every guitar I've ordered from MF shipped with a hard shell case. That in itself is major shipping protection.
    I think you might be onto something...that I wouldnt have even considered, as I would have waited to get a case for it. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Here's a B-stock Epi LP Std. with the flame maple "Plus Top" from Music123 for $400 and free shipping:
    Whats a "plus top"?

These B-stock guitars generally have very minor flaws and are an excellent value. Music123 ships by FedEx and from what I've seen, the vast majority of those Fullerton and Aria close-out guitars they've been shipping have been arriving in good shape....
    If I could see the damage before purchasing, Id likely do it.

And I like the idea of knowing that they are consistantly arriving in good shape...as opposed to 2 botched orders in a matter of days.

Post Thanks / Like

Whats a "plus top"?
    Just denotes an upgrade over the standard maple top. Flame maple is prettier.

If I could see the damage before purchasing, Id likely do it.

And I like the idea of knowing that they are consistantly arriving in good shape...as opposed to 2 botched orders in a matter of days.
    B stock is usually not damaged, but rather minor imperfections as manufactured. A lot of people who buy them end up saying "I can't even find the flaw." I've read that comment again & again....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

So its flame maple? That I understand...I think

Post Thanks / Like

Im currently looking for a buyers guide for LPs...Im browsing the forums, and interestingly enough I found this.
    First off I just bought a Les Paul Standard in Vintage Sunburst. I love the thing but you see, I ordered it off the internet...

I usually avoid this but Musicians Friend has treated me good in the past so I opted to go with them again. I have had terrible luck with this one though. First time it was the wrong finish, second time one of the pickups was sunken into the guitar. Third time, one of the tone knobs did not work at all. I just got my fourth replacement yesterday and it seems fine so far.
    But then I found this(sorry no link)
    I purchased my last ANYTHING from Music123! I ordered a '57 Les Paul Junior reissue from them on May 2nd and it's still sitting in their warehouse. When I contacted their customer service they are very unresponsive at best (rude at worst). The market is too competitive for them to act like this. The salesman that I worked with originally said that they have been purchased by Guitar Center.
    So I dunno, I guess every place has thier horror stories...but I did just get a healthy line of credit form 123...so its all over but the decidin! B stock Plus Top or Standard in black???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast