Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Ronnie Earl!!

Thread: Ronnie Earl!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ronnie Earl!!

Man alive, how have I missed hearing this guy up until just a few days ago?? I had heard the name a couple of times, but I finally heard one of his tunes on a CD that a coworker & fellow guitar player recorded from a local college radio station's weekly blues program. The tune is San-Ho-Zay, an old Freddie King blues instrumental, recorded by Ronnie and his band, the Broadcasters, live on tour in Europe in the mid-90's. In any case, Mr. Earl just flat tears it up--brilliant playing and a gorgeous, ringing Strat blues tone. I'm definitely going to order a couple of his CD's, including the one this tune came from, Blues Guitar Virtuoso Live In Europe. Any of you Fretters have any other particular recommendations from his catalog?
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

They play Ronnie Earl quite a bit on Sirius Blues 74 and I got to agree with you on his total awesomeness.
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

I'd read about him in guitar mags years ago but had forgotten about him, having never heard any of his stuff. On a lark a while back I bought his Arlen Roth instructional video "Hot Licks: Ronnie Earl - Blue Guitar With Soul" and I was flat-out floored by it. (it was only available on vhs when I got it, its out on dvd now). I wound up buying "Blues Guitar Virtuoso Live in Europe" shortly thereafter and it was one of my favorite cd purchases made last year (and I boiught a lot of cds last year). I also got "Plays Big Blues", a studio album...its great too, but I like the live cd a lot better. Get the Hot Licks dvd, you'll be glad you did!
    Electrics: Epiphone Les Paul Standard (w/S.D. pups - JB-4/bridge, SH-'59 neck), Fender Fat Strat (Mexican), Squier Fat Tele, Squier '51, Agile Valkyrie III, Ibanez Artcore AF75, Washburn OS OE30 Delta King, Dean Vendetta XM (w/ Dimarzios, D-Sonic/bridge, Air Norton/neck), Silvertone archtop (late 60s/early 70s), Titan EG-1 strat, Gibson G-3 bass, Fullerton strat

Acoustics: Sigma DM-5 (Japanese), Silvertone archtop (early 50s), Yamaha FG-110 (Korean), Alvarez RD20 12 string, Silvertone (60s)

Amps: Alamo Capri (early 60s tube), Alamo Challenger (late 60s tube) Epiphone Valve Jr. Head (w/Peavey 1x10 cab & Realistic 2x6 cab), Fender Yale Reverb, Vox Pathfinder 15R, Marshall Lead 12, Behringer G110 V-Tone, Marshall MG15CD, Vox DA-5, Pignose 7-100, Marshall Bass 12

Post Thanks / Like

You wanna talk about missing this guy? I LIVE in the state the dude's from, and I supposedly am a big fan of blues guitar, and have never been to see him! Pretty lame of me. Ive got a CD he recorded a couple years ago with Duke Robillard, the guy who preceeded him as guitarist for Roomful of Blues way back when. Duke is a monster too, a bit more on the jazz side than Ronnie. Oh yea its called "The Duke Meets The Earl". Pretty good!
    Might forget your birthday, might not tell you that your pretty, but baby that dont mean that I ain't been thinkin bout me...

www.myspace.com/jamieoue

Post Thanks / Like

Ronnie Earl & Duke Robillard are both fantastic.

"The Duke Meets the Earl" is a pretty cool title.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Ronnie Earl & Duke Robillard are both fantastic.

"The Duke Meets the Earl" is a pretty cool title.
    I wonder if they were inspired to name it that by "The Count Meets the Duke" album? (Count Basie & Duke Ellington).

Yep, Duke Robillard is a great player too....his Hot Licks video is well worth checking out...he's really got the T-Bone Walker style down.
    Electrics: Epiphone Les Paul Standard (w/S.D. pups - JB-4/bridge, SH-'59 neck), Fender Fat Strat (Mexican), Squier Fat Tele, Squier '51, Agile Valkyrie III, Ibanez Artcore AF75, Washburn OS OE30 Delta King, Dean Vendetta XM (w/ Dimarzios, D-Sonic/bridge, Air Norton/neck), Silvertone archtop (late 60s/early 70s), Titan EG-1 strat, Gibson G-3 bass, Fullerton strat

Acoustics: Sigma DM-5 (Japanese), Silvertone archtop (early 50s), Yamaha FG-110 (Korean), Alvarez RD20 12 string, Silvertone (60s)

Amps: Alamo Capri (early 60s tube), Alamo Challenger (late 60s tube) Epiphone Valve Jr. Head (w/Peavey 1x10 cab & Realistic 2x6 cab), Fender Yale Reverb, Vox Pathfinder 15R, Marshall Lead 12, Behringer G110 V-Tone, Marshall MG15CD, Vox DA-5, Pignose 7-100, Marshall Bass 12

Post Thanks / Like

Mr Intensity has been around a while and released a ton of albums with the Broadcasters, solo and guests, and I don't think you could go wrong with any of 'em. I read somewhere he has been thru some self inflicted tough times, but his newest releases are just a sweet. Here's some old and new to tide you over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiNeE...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BEZ5...elated&search=

Soul Searching (late 80's I think) and his newest Now My Soul are worth a listen. I also recall reading he has a few dates this summer in MA and CT, for those lucky one's in the area.
    "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa

Yamaha G240
    Epi Dot Deluxe, Squier '51, G&L S-500
    Vox AD30VT, PODxt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guitartist
    I wonder if they were inspired to name it that by "The Count Meets the Duke" album? (Count Basie & Duke Ellington).

Yep, Duke Robillard is a great player too....his Hot Licks video is well worth checking out...he's really got the T-Bone Walker style down.
    Yes, I'm sure that they did.

I love T-Bone. I've got the MOSAIC records T-Bone set.

They call it stormy Monday, but Tuesday's just as bad...
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    ....I'm definitely going to order a couple of his CD's, including the one this tune came from, Blues Guitar Virtuoso Live In Europe.
    I picked up this CD and am very glad I did. Ronnie plays strong material with just a killer Strat blues tone, and his band, The Broadcasters, are great, too. About the only drawback I can think of for some folks would be the fact that this is a purely instrumental album, though probably not an issue for most of us here! I've seen YouTube videos with a vocalist, but nobody singing here.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice quackin' on them vids.....thanks for posting those Hog.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz