Thread: Good affordable 100W amp for gigging?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good affordable 100W amp for gigging?

I'm in the hunt for a good 100W amp that is reliable and can play a variety of music from country, blues, rock, and even a little metal.

Recommendations?

I'd prefer to go the tube route, but if there are some good solid state models that faeature a tube-like sound, I'd be willing to give those a try also.

cheers,
    tremoloman

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Vox AD120VTX should do it! I know you are worried about reliability, but it is a great amp for sure. There are also many happy owners who never experienced any problems.

Why do you need a 100w amp? I am actually looking for lower wattage amps myself!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the gigs my band plays are pretty large. The othe guys in my band use 75 & 100W amps, so my measely 50W sometimes isn't enough once you have a few effect pedals connected. Great for small gigs and practice, but large areas can be a problem.

I'll give the Vox a shot this weekend. I could always upgrade the plastic jack to a steel one if I get ambitious.

Post Thanks / Like

Do people not mike their amps up to the PA anymore? Any large venue we ever played in...the amps were miked. Even our 100 watt half stacks. I guess it depends on your sound guy?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

We don't have a sound guy - we're just your regular poor broke band.

I've never miked an amp in my life due to the fact I've always only had access to 1 amp at a time. Maybe I'll let my lead singer give it a try at our next gig and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to give the Vox and Fender Twin a try this weekend. The price is great on the Vox, but the reliability still makes me a bit nervous. My current amp (Peavey Classic 50) has been reliable as a rock for 12 years, but it's too dang heavy and fragile to gig with.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix