View Poll Results: Floating or Fixed tremolo bridge?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Floating bridge

13 54.17%
  • Fixed bridge

11 45.83%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you set your bridge - floating or fixed?

Post Thanks / Like

All my strats are set up non floating except the '76. I installed a graph tech trem nut on it recently and decided to let it float a bit about 1/16. Also, they all have 5 springs.

Cheers,

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

I have had my bridge fixed against the body for 3 years. I am ready to try floating it and learn how to work the tremolo arm. Can I just loosen it or do I have to go through the hole set up from scratch? Any ideas on how far to float it?
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

pes_laul, you just loosen the two spring screws at the back of guitar. There is usually a plate that you have to take off first.

It should work for a Squier too. It will probably be harder to keep the guitar in tune if you do this, especially on a Squier.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    pes_laul, you just loosen the two spring screws at the back of guitar. There is usually a plate that you have to take off first.

It should work for a Squier too. It will probably be harder to keep the guitar in tune if you do this, especially on a Squier.
    but the two screws how far do they go out and since their wood screws wont they pull out of the body

(im a little paranoid cuz this is my only guitar right now)
    Last edited by pes_laul; July 6th, 2007 at 07:36 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Post Thanks / Like

mine was floating... not that I really used the vibrato bar all time.. actually, I almost never used it.. it was set that way mainly because of my inexperience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I like to have my tremolo bridge floating, so I can pull the bar up as well as push it down, to make tremolo effects. The drawback is it goes out of tune easier, and I also think the sound might be a little thinner. I guess that's why some people prefer the "hard tail way", a fixed bridge so you can only push the tremolo bar down.

Which do you prefer?
    I block my Floyds with a piece of Hardwood so they only go down.

Keeps them in tune better, intonation dead on, string guage changes are a snap, and any string breakage on stage can be played right thru without loss of tuning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12