Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Need opinions on this Epi LP fretters!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need opinions on this Epi LP fretters!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need opinions on this Epi LP fretters!

This guitar I played at a friends house and kinda liked it...but I was sitting down so I didn't notice the back of it...but the neck was super comfy...I will swap pups in it but I really did dig this axe...I own a bolt on Epi Special 2 that has about 400 dollars sunk into it and its really nice, but I really want a set neck guitar...opinions.

Really read up on this cause its got some Neat and somewhat different features.

Thank you all in advance. PS.. this guitar has a satin finish on the neck only so its buttery smooth even when you start sweating so no sticky finish on the neck

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=518770
    Last edited by LagrangeCalvert; May 10th, 2007 at 11:07 PM. Reason: just remembered something
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll love it. For a once in a lifetime Epi Les Paul purchase check out the Elitist. It will cost a lot more though.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=518401

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    You'll love it. For a once in a lifetime Epi Les Paul purchase check out the Elitist. It will cost a lot more though.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=518401
    That's virtually identical to the Elitist LP Standard I own, even the same color, except I didn't get the fancy flame maple "Plus" top. At the time, the non-Plus model I have had been recently discontinued, and MF had it on a close-out price of $699. About the only thing that didn't just blow me away about it was the pickups, which were good but nothing really special. So I put a couple of Duncan humbuckers in it, and now I'd put it up against almost any LP Gibson makes here in the US.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

i have the special 2 and want help upgrading it help upgrading . help?

p.s im in the uk with no experience whatsoever in upgrading

Post Thanks / Like

LC,

If that guitar is setting your hair on fire, go for it!
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by joe324
    i have the special 2 and want help upgrading it help upgrading . help?

p.s im in the uk with no experience whatsoever in upgrading
    With all due respect to the OP (who had upgraded his before looking for a setneck), you're better off just selling it and buying a different guitar. There's not a big market for bolt-neck LP copies, and unless you're absolutely certain you'd never sell it, keep in mind one never makes back money spent on mods. I would sell it and get a setneck Epi (or other LP-type guitar).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    With all due respect to the OP (who had upgraded his before looking for a setneck), you're better off just selling it and buying a different guitar. There's not a big market for bolt-neck LP copies, and unless you're absolutely certain you'd never sell it, keep in mind one never makes back money spent on mods. I would sell it and get a setneck Epi (or other LP-type guitar).
    I'll second everything BK says.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad

I'll Probably Never Sell It As It's less than 6months old and my first electric guitar and my first guitar i've bought soley out of my own money...i'm only 14 remember

edit: Selling It Really isn't an option but upgrading little bits through time is!
    Last edited by joe324; May 21st, 2007 at 10:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe324
    I'll Probably Never Sell It As It's less than 6months old and my first electric guitar and my first guitar i've bought soley out of my own money...i'm only 14 remember

edit: Selling It Really isn't an option but upgrading little bits through time is!
    wow, I'm doing the exact same thing, except I'll be modding the neck too so its got six bolts instead of four to increase stability and sustain so it is almost like a set-neck.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

well, I have a LP special two with about 700 dollars put into it...along with quite a few man hours into it as well. my advice is know what you want....and plan ahead guys. I've got more mods done to that guitar than to any other (besides my strat) and you need to start off with a great Special 2 to make it work in the first place. I had the sales boy bring out EVERY special 2 they had in stock. Then went through and played them all till I found one that played right (3 hours for a base 150 guitar......). Their necks are a disaster and unless you plan on keeping it, don't bother throwing tons of money at it.

If you want me to go into further detail on the special I have of mine I can start another thread......and help you along with that needs to be done.
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pie_man_25
    wow, I'm doing the exact same thing, except I'll be modding the neck too so its got six bolts instead of four to increase stability and sustain so it is almost like a set-neck.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx
    hey man, ernie ball did the same thing with the stingray (although it is a bass)
    and it increased sustain and neck stability to the point where it pretty much was a set-neck. I think you should do your studying before you laugh at somebody.

-anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think too much is made of the "set neck = better sustain" equation. Its very true in strictly acoustic terms, but as far as playing rock-n-roll electric goes, sustain really depends on your pick ups and your amp.
    I mean, you never hear anyone dis Hendrix or SRV's sustain do you, yet they played bolt ons.

I don't think I'd play old school jazz licks with a bolt on, that warm natural type of sound does rely a lot more on the acoustics of the guitar itself, rather than electronics. But with even a little gain in your amp, the difference in sound between bolt ons and set necks pretty much goes out the window.Yes, Les Pauls do sound a lot different than strats, but its due to the difference between humbuckers and single coils IMO.
    Electrics: Epiphone Les Paul Standard (w/S.D. pups - JB-4/bridge, SH-'59 neck), Fender Fat Strat (Mexican), Squier Fat Tele, Squier '51, Agile Valkyrie III, Ibanez Artcore AF75, Washburn OS OE30 Delta King, Dean Vendetta XM (w/ Dimarzios, D-Sonic/bridge, Air Norton/neck), Silvertone archtop (late 60s/early 70s), Titan EG-1 strat, Gibson G-3 bass, Fullerton strat

Acoustics: Sigma DM-5 (Japanese), Silvertone archtop (early 50s), Yamaha FG-110 (Korean), Alvarez RD20 12 string, Silvertone (60s)

Amps: Alamo Capri (early 60s tube), Alamo Challenger (late 60s tube) Epiphone Valve Jr. Head (w/Peavey 1x10 cab & Realistic 2x6 cab), Fender Yale Reverb, Vox Pathfinder 15R, Marshall Lead 12, Behringer G110 V-Tone, Marshall MG15CD, Vox DA-5, Pignose 7-100, Marshall Bass 12

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guitartist
    Personally, I think too much is made of the "set neck = better sustain" equation. Its very true in strictly acoustic terms, but as far as playing rock-n-roll electric goes, sustain really depends on your pick ups and your amp.
    I mean, you never hear anyone dis Hendrix or SRV's sustain do you, yet they played bolt ons.

I don't think I'd play old school jazz licks with a bolt on, that warm natural type of sound does rely a lot more on the acoustics of the guitar itself, rather than electronics. But with even a little gain in your amp, the difference in sound between bolt ons and set necks pretty much goes out the window.Yes, Les Pauls do sound a lot different than strats, but its due to the difference between humbuckers and single coils IMO.

now they make strats with humbuckers.

but now on a more serious note, you do have a point, although the impedance of a p-90 or a humbucker can be imitated rather closely by using an extremely reactive magnet and extra winding/thicker winding wires, I've once used the magnets from a few 20-year old fujitsu hard drives and some copper wire to make a sort of mini p-90 on my tele copy and it sounds pretty good, it's ferrite core ceramic, not alnico 5 which I think is also a ceramic, but its still pretty good.

-anonymous

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pie_man_25
    now they make strats with humbuckers.

Yeah, I know I've got one...and its got great sustain!
    Electrics: Epiphone Les Paul Standard (w/S.D. pups - JB-4/bridge, SH-'59 neck), Fender Fat Strat (Mexican), Squier Fat Tele, Squier '51, Agile Valkyrie III, Ibanez Artcore AF75, Washburn OS OE30 Delta King, Dean Vendetta XM (w/ Dimarzios, D-Sonic/bridge, Air Norton/neck), Silvertone archtop (late 60s/early 70s), Titan EG-1 strat, Gibson G-3 bass, Fullerton strat

Acoustics: Sigma DM-5 (Japanese), Silvertone archtop (early 50s), Yamaha FG-110 (Korean), Alvarez RD20 12 string, Silvertone (60s)

Amps: Alamo Capri (early 60s tube), Alamo Challenger (late 60s tube) Epiphone Valve Jr. Head (w/Peavey 1x10 cab & Realistic 2x6 cab), Fender Yale Reverb, Vox Pathfinder 15R, Marshall Lead 12, Behringer G110 V-Tone, Marshall MG15CD, Vox DA-5, Pignose 7-100, Marshall Bass 12

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Check this out

You might want to check out rondomusic.com for something similar, maybe a lot less expensive, or a lot more for your money.

I have no affilliation with them.

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help upgrading

Try going to guitarfetish.com they might ship to your area. They have pickups, bridges, tuners, etc., at very, very affordable prices.

I have no affilliation with them. They are well known.

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Building up the Special II

I would think twice about building up that guitar.

The price of the parts, etc. would probably be more than if you went to rondomusic.com and ordered a new guitar.

They have some strat copies for 99 US dollars that are really nice.

They have LP copies for less than 199.

The special II is going to have other problems when you start building it up, like noisy electronics after you put in more sensitive pickups that bring out the inherent weaknesses of the guitar. You will have to fix those problems too, if you want to really upgrade it: like rewiring things and putting in new pots, capacitors, and things like switches and jacks, new ground, etc. No telling what you might get into.

It is better to upgrade a better guitar to begin with.

However, you might be happy upgrading just the pickups from guitarfetish.com or something like that and live with the buzz or hum if you get any. You should be able to find way better pickups really inexpensively and then solder them in just like the old ones were. You might have to solder a couple other wires together to link up the pair of coils if they are set up to split the coils as a more advanced option that you might not want to get into; more parts, special push pull pots, etc. You can just solder better pickups straight in and they will screw right into the pickup rings you already have. Quite simple actually. You could get started for a small amount just by upgrading the pickups to something else that is better. Make sure it is better than what you already have though, first.

Duffy
    Winfield, Pa.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

I own and gig with a LP special 2....Like I stated in an earlier you have to start with a good one to begin with. And in stock guise I have never noticed any humming or anything. The most I had was a scratchy tone pot...

Any Econo axe you upgrade your gonna need to look at all your upgrades (including wiring/grounding to cut down on noise) and start with a good one - usually picked out at the store so you can feel it for yourself.

Duff you make it sound like their horrible guitars (The special 2) and I can say that some are poorly put together and some slip through QC but their not bad.

But I can also see that at that price point there are other guitars that could be modded also. Also IMHO the reason you beef up one of these guitars is to make something that the companies don't....something like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast