Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Floated bridge - tricks to stay in tune
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floated bridge - tricks to stay in tune

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Floated bridge - tricks to stay in tune

What tricks do you use to keep your floated tremolo bridge in tune?

My strat seems to catch the strings a bit when I release the tremolo bar after having pressed it down. Some strings go sharp, and if I grab them and pull on them a bit (or bend a lot), they go back to being in tune again. Where lies the problem?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Where lies the problem?
    The NUT! Especially those plastic ones...but just about any non-roller nut will cause the string to bind or stick.

My trick is to pull on the strings as Im tuning. Turn the machine head, check with your tuner, alot of times I'll end up a little sharp, but then once you tug it it gets past the nut and tuning is stablized. Id really suggest trying this.

Post Thanks / Like

Just rub some pencil graphite under the strings at the nut and on the string tree. Also use at least 4 springs. 5 is probably better but 4 works good.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

5 springs and a floated trem? How's that possible?

I see I forgot to mention that I have the trem bridge floated, so that I can pull the bar up a bit.

If the bridge is fixed, this problem doesn't really happen, since the the bridge can't go "up".
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

If you put 5 springs on the claw you'll have to back the main screws out to compensate for the added tension that's why I use only 4. I can see a problem with the claw screws being backed out too much though with 5 springs. Use only 4.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    If you put 5 springs on the claw you'll have to back the main screws out to compensate for the added tension that's why I use only 4. I can see a problem with the claw screws being backed out too much though with 5 springs. Use only 4.
    And how does this help with tunnig stability...and if its floating, then your 4 or 5 springs with the screws backed out would still have the same spring tension(as my 3 springs)...so I still dont understand the benifit??? BUT it does make sense for string bending...hmmm

Post Thanks / Like

Adding another spring ...even with the same amount of trem angle on the bridge from the body will make the trem block more stable and faster because of the added spring tension. It will fall "in place" faster and more consistant thus keeping things in better tune when floating. For me having 4 springs helps if I put them on the outer edges of the claw. 2 springs at each edge. 3 springs in the V shape (one in the middle and the 2 outer springs angled toward the middle spring on the claw) seems to be less stable than the 2 springs per outer edge way. At least it is for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Locking tuners couldnt hurt either.
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

well...I have my Strat set up with non floating...but I can dive bomb her out and she will fall right back in tune....but I always go with a graph tech string tree, saddles and an LSR roller nut. A good set of Sperzels (I put on every guitar I own) helps too

But other than that you can get a better nut and get some graphite in the nut, on the saddles, and make sure there are absofreakinluty no burrs on the metal.
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what works for me:

#1. Locking tuners - Here are the two models I use. Both work excellent and make a night & day difference.

Schaller

Gotoh (vintage)

#2. 3-in-1 weight oil - When changing strings I apply a minute amount on all friction points. Using a Q-tip I lubricate string trees, saddles, and on the bridge screws. I also take drop and rub it along the string where it will lie against the saddle to aid in reducing stickage and possible string breakage.

3. LSR / Graph Tech / Tusq nuts - LSR nuts are fantastic as they are virtually frictionless. The only downside is that they do require some modification and skill to install. Graph Tech & Tusq nuts are a Strat's best friend. These can be purchased precut and make a world of difference in tone and tuning stability. I'd never own a Strat or Tele without one of these three nuts.

LSR Rolling Nut

Graph-Tech / Tusq

Hope this helps!
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

What about string trees? The vintage ones seem to "catch" the string a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a set of GrapTech strings trees. Only $5 a pair at StewMac. The string trees in my Fat Fully squeaked something fierce, and this cured it immediately.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Rob don't order any I'll send you a pair of mine. I don't use them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tone! (Send that Suhr you saw too please )

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tone! (Send that Suhr you saw too please )
    LOL Suhr why not!

Post Thanks / Like

you could always employ a hip shot which will maintain a zero position so the bridge always returns to the right place.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

What tricks do you use to keep your floated tremolo bridge in tune?

My strat seems to catch the strings a bit when I release the tremolo bar after having pressed it down. Some strings go sharp, and if I grab them and pull on them a bit (or bend a lot), they go back to being in tune again. Where lies the problem?
    I mount a block of hardoowd flush against the back of the block on the trem in the cavity. Then the thing only goes down. Rather than pull it all the way back with tension, the hardwood allows for better sustain, and you can use any gauge strings you want without having to re-intone. Not to mention if you break a string on stage, everything stays in tune just dandy.

I've been doing it for years, and I read in an interview awhile back EVH has been doing this as well for many moons.

I also graphite all contact points and stretch the strings beyond belief....over and over and over.

Last edited by 333maxwell; June 12th, 2007 at 02:31 PM. Reason: ooops

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Floater works

I use 3 springs, Locking tuners and a graphite nut. My MIM stays in tune surprisingly well. The tuners are Planet Waves with the built in cutter. I also have the "big" steel block on the trem.
    Agile AL3000 Lefty
    Alvarez RD20L Lefty
    Blueridge BR-70 Lefty
    FenderMIM Strat Lefty
    LTD Viper400 Lefty
    Fender 50th Deluxe Lefty
    Fender MIM Telecaster Lefty
    Line6 Spider lll 75 righty
    VOX AD50VT 212 righty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast