Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Joe Says Hello! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe Says Hello!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe324
    anything that makes it sound better
    Better pickups would be the obvious first upgrade. If you don't want to spring for a full set, maybe you'd want to upgrade the pickup you use more often, which tends to be the bridge for most folks.

What do you play most often? Do you want a vintage PAF tone or are you looking more a more contemporary aggressive sounding distortion?
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Joe.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Better pickups would be the obvious first upgrade. If you don't want to spring for a full set, maybe you'd want to upgrade the pickup you use more often, which tends to be the bridge for most folks.

What do you play most often? Do you want a vintage PAF tone or are you looking more a more contemporary aggressive sounding distortion?

personally i'd prefer something cleaner but with abit of overdrive can get "dirty"

my favourite music is indie such as weezer and kings of leon although i do Like some heavy rock and country and folk and even hendrix (the V Stuff he played)

if thats any help
    "Then God Said....LET THERE BE MUSIC!"

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if you want to stay on the clean side, I'd stick with the more vintage model humbuckers and avoid the very high output models, especially those with ceramic magnets. I'm most familiar with the Seymour Duncan models, because I have them in my two humbcuker guitars. The Pearly Gates model should be a good fit for you, since it fits your description of what you want very closely. If you want something a bit hotter than that, then the Custom 5 would be a good choice. There are, of course, many other good pickup brands to choose from. DiMarzio has a broad range of humbuckers available and the Pickup Picker feature on their website should let you zero in on a couple of models that match up well with your guitar's characteristics and the type of tone you're looking for. Many of these pickup maker's websites have sound clips that you can check out, too.

BTW, there are always a few used pickups for the more popular models available on eBay at any given time, so you don't have to pay the full "new" price.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if you want to stay on the clean side, I'd stick with the more vintage model humbuckers and avoid the very high output models, especially those with ceramic magnets. I'm most familiar with the Seymour Duncan models, because I have them in my two humbcuker guitars. The Pearly Gates model should be a good fit for you, since it fits your description of what you want very closely. If you want something a bit hotter than that, then the Custom 5 would be a good choice. There are, of course, many other good pickup brands to choose from. DiMarzio has a broad range of humbuckers available and the Pickup Picker feature on their website should let you zero in on a couple of models that match up well with your guitar's characteristics and the type of tone you're looking for. Many of these pickup maker's websites have sound clips that you can check out, too.

BTW, there are always a few used pickups for the more popular models available on eBay at any given time, so you don't have to pay the full "new" price.

I did the pick up chooser on dimarzio and it reccomended...

humbucker from hell
    paf
    air classic neck

Post Thanks / Like

As I said, I'm really not personally familiar with the DiMarzio line. You'll need to read through the descriptions of those individual models that are recommended and see which matches up best with the sound you're looking for. There are audio clips posted for many of the models, so by all means check those out, too. The Seymour Duncan site also has audio clips for many of their models.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

As I said, I'm really not personally familiar with the DiMarzio line. You'll need to read through the descriptions of those individual models that are recommended and see which matches up best with the sound you're looking for. There are audio clips posted for many of the models, so by all means check those out, too. The Seymour Duncan site also has audio clips for many of their models.
    thsnks d.v.m for all your help!
    listening to the audio clips i like the sound of p.a.f
    nice clean and equally as nice dirty

Post Thanks / Like

listening to the audio clips i like the sound of p.a.f
    nice clean and equally as nice dirty
    Well, that's DiMarzio's version of the original Seth Lover "patent applied for" humbucker, so you can't get much more vintage than that! For grins, you might want to check out the Duncan Seth Lover and '59 models, too. Same church, different pew....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, that's DiMarzio's version of the original Seth Lover "patent applied for" humbucker, so you can't get much more vintage than that! For grins, you might want to check out the Duncan Seth Lover and '59 models, too. Same church, different pew....

it was the seymour duncan '59 i looked at

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    Welcome Joe !

Hey Joe, where you goin' with that kustom bullet in your hand ?
    Man! ted_s...beat me to it.

Welcome Joe! It's great to get more of the young'uns hangin' 'round.

Damn, I sure wish I started at your age!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

man if i started when i was 14, i don't even want to imagine the possibilities. oh well, at least now we know joe and i can only imagine what he'll be like at our age. welcome to the fret joe, and as far as guitar playing goes, welcome to the greatest addicition of them all. i wish you many many years of happy playing.

hello all!
    my name is Joe and i'm a budding musician!
    i'm 14 been playing guitar 17 months with 3 guitars and 1 and 1/2 amps.
    my equipment is;

yamaha f310 acoustic (set up by the luthier who sets up the guitarist from dire straights)
    epiphone les paul special II in heratige sunburst- my first electric
    a non-descript 3/4 spanish acoustic-my first guitar

my amps are ;

kustom bullet 10fx - good little amp (i'm a bedroom player)
    and a 1w smokie amp deluxe! pall mall packaging!

i'm interested in upgrading my les paul any feedback welcome! and im in yorkshire , uk!
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Hello Joe! Welcome. Good to have some youngsters to balance out us old f*rts.

I've had the pleasure of visiting York on an all-too-brief day trip a couple decades ago. Lovely town.

As far as upgrading your LP, the next logical step would be getting a setneck, as iirc yours is a bolt-on version. If you buy used your pound will go a lot further. Epiphone is a pretty good bet (as you know) if you can't afford Gibson (which I understand are even more expensive in Blighty than this side the pond). If you can afford more than an Epi, but maybe less than Gibson, you might look into Gordon-Smith, a British company that makes very Gibson-ish guitars. They have a very good reputation, and if you could find one used it would be a step up from an Epi setneck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12