Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

VJ Combo Cab
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VJ Combo Cab

Post Thanks / Like

Default VJ Combo Cab

Hello,

With all the talk of the new VJ cab I thought I would toss a pic up of my combo cab. I bought the head version of the Valve Junior because of the 4/8/and16 ohm speaker taps but really wanted the combo version. Once I had the head I got tired of moving it around separately with the speaker cab and decided to make my own combo cab. I also wanted to put a larger speaker in it and decided to go with a 12 inch. I don't know what it will sound like as it is always crap shoot mixing things up with no engineering but I think I will be content with it. I bought a Weber 12 inch California speaker which should be here this week for my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and will use the stock Eminence speaker from that for my VJ combo cab. It will be a start but I don't know what it will sound like, I didn't like the sound of the stock Eminence speaker in the Hot Rod
    I just ordered some vintage Marshall dark green toilex and will some tan weaved grill cloth my dad had laying around since the 60's he used on his home stereo cabinets. It is nice grille cloth and should look great with the Marshall dark green. In the picture there is some greenish blue filler which is Bondo body filler to fill screw holes and what not. Bondo works great with wood, it drys fast, doesn't shrink and sticks real good as long as you make sure there is no sanding dust on the wood.

Here is a pic. The cab has been screwed and glued and is getting somewhat heavy, which I was trying to avoid but ya gotta build them tough and tight. I was going to use plywood but decided at the l last minute to use poplar board. I was kind of in a hurry (not a good thing to do) with this stuff but this is what I came up with, I have way too many projects going and I just want to get this back to where I can use it.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great idea M29 !, I like that cut out along the front top.
    Looking forward to seeing some more pics.
    Maybe you could post pics at different stages of progress ?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

My oh my! First custom guitars and now custom amps. Have you ever thought of going into business with your own label. Yes, please show us the finished product.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Ted S and Tim,

Thank you for the kind words on my work. I have done a little of this stuff over the years but I am not very good at it. My dad taught me a lot of this stuff when I was younger and helped us build cabs for our bands every now and then. I remember our guitar player back around 1970 wanted to have two SUNN 1000 cabinets instead of one and my dad showed us how to build it and made up a SUNN logo plate that looked just like the original our guitar player was overjoyed, now he could straddle his 1000 head across two cabs. Boy the things that thrilled ya when we were young
    It is hard to do this kind of stuff for pay as you have so much time involved that you just can't make it worth while. Some store bought cabs are stapled together with particle board and what not and run down an assembly line and are still kind of pricey but to hand drill and glue and clamp and wait for the glue to dry and then put the tolex on and fit the front and back and cut holes for the speakers and access holes for the amp it just gets too time consuming. I used to like doing this stuff but now I just want to get it done so I can get some time in on the guitar

I will take some picks along the way. I still never feel real confident putting on the Naugahyde oops (showing my age) I mean tolex, I always have a though time with the corners although the covers help a lot to hide gaps. I am going to use the hardware from the Valve Junior head for this cab. I am going to try to keep with the Epiphone theme some with the front of this cab. This is where I used a cut similar to the stock head at the top front like you noted Ted S.
    I am going to take the logo and cut it down to just say Epi instead of Epiphone and mount it off to the left side at an angle. Should be kind of a nice touch, something different. I am anxious to get that Marshall dark green tolex, it should look goooooood http://www.tubeampparts.com/Merchant...olex_green.jpg

Thanks again guys!

M29

Post Thanks / Like

I just noticed that the top of your cabinet is the same shape as the Peavey JSX Mini Colossal. The music on this page is Joe Satriani demoing the amph.
    http://www.peavey.com/flashHome.cfm

Too bad you can't see that shape here.
    http://www.peavey.com/products/brows...i+Colossal.cfm

You can see it here. Click on "Peavey Amp"
    http://www.guitarplayertv.com/

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

A carpenter friend built me a 2x12 cab for my Epi head last winter. (32"x17"12") I attempted to cover it a few months ago, got about 80% and tore it all off, was not going the way I liked, needed another set of hands. Completed round 2 tonight with the help of my brother. I have never done it before but am VERY happy how it turned out. I just have to find some really slick grill cloth. Any advice on grill cloth ?

Post Thanks / Like

Ted
    I think Lopoline sells a variety of grill material.

http://www.lopoline.com/Grillcloth.html

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

Here is where I got my tolex. http://www.tubeampparts.com/Merchant...T&Store_Code=A Not to give them any plug but I am happy with the service I had on two occasions. I did not look around that much but I am sure there are more places.

Thanks Spudman for the link!

M29
    Last edited by M29; May 21st, 2007 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks M & Spud.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some progress shots of my VJ cab.

This pic I am sanding the corners of the front face that goes over the Valve Junior amp with a large tube and 40 grit sandpaper. These front edges will get rounded off similar to the edges of the cabinet.

In this shot I am flat sanding the rough cut from the saber saw with 40 grit sand paper.

This image shows where I am centering the speaker on the baffle board to mark the mounting holes and the area that needs to be cutout for the speaker cone. Getting closer!

Revving her up here, I could not wait so I clamped the baffle board to the cab and let her rip!

I wish that tolex would get here.
    I still need to finish cutting the front face out and I am trying to decide if I want to put a wire mesh in the front between the amp and the speaker or leave it solid. I like the idea for added cooling on the tubes but it may end up canceling some frequencies of the speaker out. You don't want the speakers sound waves to go around the baffle board and cancel out any frequencies and this might happen if I leave an open cooling area between the amp and the speaker.

I played it some but it was about midnight and I could not turn it up. It appears to sound better with the back sealed. It adds a little bass. I am waiting for a Hammond output transformer to get here and that should extend my bass so I might not need the back closed up as much so I will wait and see how it sounds then before I mount the backing board.

Tomorrow I can turn it up

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent !.. thanks for sharing the pics. That's going to look great !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    I like the idea for added cooling on the tubes but it may end up canceling some frequencies of the speaker out. You don't want the speakers sound waves to go around the baffle board and cancel out any frequencies and this might happen if I leave an open cooling area between the amp and the speaker.

Tomorrow I can turn it up

M29
    It's looking great, M29! I do have one added suggestion, per the cooling, FWIW....
    The VJr.'s stock values on R10 and R14 can be changed to help reduce the B+ voltage and reduce dissipation to the EL84. This will help reduce heat and should add some longevity to the little PC board.
    R10-change to a 1K 3 Watt resistor
    R14-change to a 240 or 270 1 Watt resistor

Here's a pic that might help w/ the OT swap also.If you zoom it in you'll see a couple of "handy hints" I added when I did mine. It will save you time.

http://www.box.net/shared/yxze4s56pa
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, looking great there, M! You do quality work!!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Woweee M29! It's looking great!

BTW, I'm with you on the Naugahyde.
    I pick a moon dog.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Suhweet, M29! Very cool to see this!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the kind words.

Here is what the grill cloth looks like. I chose this cloth for sentimental reasons. My dad is 92 now and he used this cloth on his stereo cabinets back in the sixties. I think it will look good with the dark green Marshall tolex or Naugahyde;-) The gill cloth will cover just the speaker area and the rest of the front will be dark green like the rest of the cab. I was thinking of putting a tan tolex in the amp area and maybe some gold piping around the inside of the front.

I am trying to decide how to put the Epiphone emblem on. What position do you guys like? I kind of wanted to go with just Epi instead of Epiphone, just a thought for something different.

Thanks again guys!

M29

Post Thanks / Like

I like #1.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello duhvoodooman,

Yeah I like that one too. It has a little style and it fills in the area nicely.

The gaps around the front boards are to give room for the grill cloth, tolex and piping thickness. It looks kind of nasty right now, they are just setting in there with no screws yet.

I had a chance to turn it up briefly this morning. It sounded a little thin and I do not care for this spiky sounding Fender/Hot Rod speaker in this setup either but I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on this so it will do for now. I am still experimenting with ports and what not to see if I can get a better bass response. My VJ sounds somewhat thin anyways and I am hoping the transformer will help that. I have a 12 inch Weber California coming for my Hot Rod and I will stick it in here first to hear what it sounds like. I don't plan to spend another hundred dollars for one in the VJ but I would like to hear what it sounds like.

Thanks again duhvoodooman for the kind words.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

great idea, should sound sweet in the larger enclosure.....
    Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast