Thread: Acoustic "Brazil"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Acoustic "Brazil"

Inspired by the melody lines in Django Reinhardt's 1953 version of "Brazil," this is my first ever recording of anything other than noodling for tone purposes. There are some rough spots for sure, but overall I am fairly pleased with how this turned out, at least as a roadmap for myself of which parts work and which parts need work.

http://www.box.net/shared/zgx2j15me9
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Killer tone there Rex (how're them Griffins? )

Izzat your 135?

How did you record it?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, though I dunno who Rex is or which Griffins you speak of.

This was played on my Burnside acoustic. I love the tone it gets in that slack-key. Sounds Hawai'ian, doesn't it? Recorded straight from acoustic into MAudio FastTrack into my G4 laptop. Not bad for a first try.

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Killer tone there Rex (how're them Griffins? )

Izzat your 135?

How did you record it?
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is very nice! I like it very much. Did you connect up your MAudio FastTrack via USB? What type of G4 Laptop do you have if I may ask? I have an old PB Ti 400 that I was thinking of dedicating to a knockabout recording, travel laptop. I think it just has USB 1.0 if I remember correctly. The MAudio fastTrack seems to say that it requires USB 2.0, but my local computer guy thought it might work anyway. Wondering what your system is and what your experiences have been.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Its a nice deep tone what mic are you using?
    Cannuck on a mission
    Guitars: Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Roadstar 2, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Gibson Flying V, Yamaha 12 string, some beat up old classical
    Amps: 1969 Fender Twin Reverb, 2002 Line 6 Flextone 2
    Effects: Digitech GNX4, Boss ME30, and a whack of pedals

http://www.myspace.com/zeussethegod

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, appreciate it.

Yes, I went directly from the MAudio box into Apple Garageband straight through the USB [which is 2.0] on my laptop a 1.6 GHz Power PC G4. The only thing that needed post recording tweaking was the volume and a little bit of equalization to brighten up the high as i am tuned down fairly low to get the slack-key feel. I lent the MAudio box to a friend once to try recording on his pc, and he reported no luck with the USB 1.0 port, but your mileage may vary. As far as with current macs, I am pleased with the device, specifically with recording from my electric and amp.

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    That is very nice! I like it very much. Did you connect up your MAudio FastTrack via USB? What type of G4 Laptop do you have if I may ask? I have an old PB Ti 400 that I was thinking of dedicating to a knockabout recording, travel laptop. I think it just has USB 1.0 if I remember correctly. The MAudio fastTrack seems to say that it requires USB 2.0, but my local computer guy thought it might work anyway. Wondering what your system is and what your experiences have been.

Post Thanks / Like

Default No mic

Quote Originally Posted by zeusse
    Its a nice deep tone what mic are you using?
    Not using a mic on this recording, just acoustic [with built-in pickup] straight to the MAdudio box which connects via USB to my laptop. Simplicity at its finest. Just needs some tweaking afterwards for volume. Now, that said, I am looking to pick up a mic in order to record my acoustic playing in more of a live room environment. Though I have yet to get one, I used to work in radio and am a big fan of Senheisers. We'll see come bday time when I go to purchase one. The MAudio FastTrack does have an XLR input as well as stndard guitar jack input, which is one of the reasons I purchased it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    Thanks, though I dunno who Rex is or which Griffins you speak of.
    Just me being goofy R.

The rest have wisely learned to ignore me.

Go back & read the Marc Ribot thread if your aren't concerned about your sanity.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Just me being goofy R.

The rest have wisely learned to ignore me.

Go back & read the Marc Ribot thread if your aren't concerned about your sanity.
    Looking back on the Ribot posts and I do recall your guess as to my identity. Had never heard of Rex of Griffins before, but looking back at it, it sounds interesting. And goofiness, not a problem for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    Had never heard of Rex of Griffins before, but looking back at it, it sounds interesting.
    How could you have? I made it up on the spot. Wales is real, however

...or so I've heard.

I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How could you have? I made it up on the spot. Wales is real, however

...or so I've heard.

Dylan Thomas and Roald Dahl would think so I believe.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson