Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New Guitar Day: Whole lotta Rosie

Thread: New Guitar Day: Whole lotta Rosie

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up New Guitar Day: Whole lotta Rosie

Thanks again to forumite Highway_61 over at Harmony-Central for sussing me to this Music123 deal. These Daisy Rocks (sister company of Schecter) are made in Indonesia and usually street for $299 (I've seen small music stores sell them for $375, iirc the msrp is $428 or thereabouts). $120 shipped:

It's far from perfect but certainly playable and presumably giggable dead stock (I have a side-band practice Thursday night and will try her out then, plus maybe with my second side band at a Friday night show). There are a couple very tiny dust specs under the clear coat, a little space (I've seen worse) on the treble side of the neck pocket, and the paint missed a stripe inside the f-hole (see last pic). Eventually I'll pick up some pink nail polish and touch the f-hole up, but it's not noticeable unless one is really looking. If I'd paid full price I might be miffed, but for this deal no worries. The color in some of these makes it appear to have a slight violet cast, but it's actually a metallic Pepto Bismol pink. I may make a Pepto Bismol sticker for it!

I was gonna call her "Pinky," but my daughter, who hates the whole "pink for girls" bit nixed that and suggested "Rose" instead. So Rose she is.

Stock pickups sound fine. I do hafta concentrate on fretting the high E string given the slightly narrow neck so as to not pull the string south off the fretboard, but after a few minutes of getting used to it becomes automatic, kinda like playing a Ric. Tuners are Grovers and fine. The pots and switch feel surprisingly solid, I love the all-metal switch tip on the pickup selector (reminds me of the all-metal one on my 1960 Duo-Sonic).

Gotta go take the van in for service but will pop back in later. Questions if any answered then!

PS: It's my 20th Wedding Anniversary today!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a nice deal, Brian. Will be interested to hear your impressions after you've spent more time with it. I've read very good things about some of those Daisy Rock guitars. Apparently quite well made. One of their models--the Rock Candy Custom Special--did very well in a comparison test of 35 guitars under $500 that was in Guitar Player mag a couple of months back. AAMOF, it was one of eight to win their Editor's Pick award.

P.S. Congrats on the 20th anniversary!
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; May 24th, 2007 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Accurate numbers!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congrats man! Both on the guitar and also on the big milestone in your marriage! Happy Anniversary!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats.. its always nice with mini humbuckers!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy Anniversary!

Nice color! You will look like a real man playing that one.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Congrats.. its always nice with mini humbuckers!
    That's the real reason I got her. I only have one other guitar with a mini, a Frankentele with a neck Seymour Duncan mini-HB. So I wanted a two-mini guitar. Plus I only have one other semi-hollow.

Here's Rose with her sister Corinne:

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Nice color! You will look like a real man playing that one.
    Haha, I hope I'll be able to put Rose through her paces Friday with my "new" second side-band (they only play a half-dozen times a year or so), but I have no idea how they'll react to her. I've known the lead singer/songwriter/guitarist/leader guy for like 18 years, so he's not a prob, and I'd guess the bassist in that band just kinda shows up (the times I've played with them over the last few years were to sub for him), so that leaves the drummer.

Though I've known him for probably 5 or 6 years, and played at least a dozen shows with him, he has this kinda weird deal where everyone hasta play "pro gear." He's a vet of the 80's hair band circuit so he'll probably flip when he sees that guitar. At any rate I'll bring a passel and have several to choose from.

Oh, the new second sideband can be seen/heard here:

http://www.myspace.com/dynamitecharade

Post Thanks / Like

Happy anniversary. Is that 20 years with the same person? I can't even imagine.

Beautiful color on the new axe, but...how do you set the intonation?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Happy anniversary. Is that 20 years with the same person? I can't even imagine.

Beautiful color on the new axe, but...how do you set the intonation?
    Yep 20 years, same person. Actually we went out for at least 3 or 4 years before getting married so it's really longer than that.

As for intonation, the bridge isn't adjustable. Though it is compensated (see the lttle zigzag in it). It's very close to being dead-on, fortunately. Numerous places make replacement wrap bridges that are adjustable as well. I have an adjustable upgrade that came on my Gretsch Electromatic Special Jet I bought used. Shouldn't be necessary on this'un.

In the pic above of Rose with her sister Corinne, the other guitar also has a one-piece bridge, though hers is both adjustable and string-through.

Post Thanks / Like

congrats on the new guitar and Happy Anniversary.......
    Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Big K
    congrats on the new guitar and Happy Anniversary.......
    Thanks, I'm very blessed on many levels.

Hopefully the guys in the "new" side band won't freak out over the guitar. But I'd bet there's a good chance they will.

BK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Hopefully the guys in the "new" side band won't freak out over the guitar. But I'd bet there's a good chance they will
    Happy Anniversary! I'm hitting 14 years this July, but we dated for 2 and were engaged for 2, so it's pushing 20 yrs together We'll both be hitting the big 4-oh this year too!

And Rosie, I think she's a beauty! If your bandmates freak out, all the more reason to bring her - it would be very punk of you
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    Happy Anniversary! I'm hitting 14 years this July, but we dated for 2 and were engaged for 2, so it's pushing 20 yrs together We'll both be hitting the big 4-oh this year too!

And Rosie, I think she's a beauty! If your bandmates freak out, all the more reason to bring her - it would be very punk of you
    Haha, true dat. But this side band is more like power pop than punk.

At any rate I put Rosie through her paces last night at band volume, at practice with the other side band, that does roots rock, and she did quite well. Our drummer in particular was very impressed with the the tone. Once I tightened up the Grovers she held tuning fine and withstood my usual abuse.

I'll see if I can't get her onstage tonight.