Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Tele Hum grounding problem - need help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tele Hum grounding problem - need help

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tele Hum grounding problem - need help

My beloved Squier Tele with DiMarzio Virtual T pickups seem to have developed a grounding problem. It hums like crazy now if I don't put my hands on the strings or on the control plate.

I took a look at the soldering, and it looks fine.

I have had some problems with my 3-way switch, and I think I'll replace it and see if this solves the problem.

Anything else I should check?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Check the input jack.

Post Thanks / Like

For sure, check the ground wire connection to the output jack. Have you tried playing it in several different locations to make sure it's not an environmental factor? Does it still hum when in the dual pickup position? Any chance you did something that affected the bridge ground wire connection under the bridge plate?
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Just a WAG: check to make sure the ground to the bridge is still secure.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Marnold, I did that and it was all good.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

might want to check continuity between the back of the volume pot and all the ground connections to ensure that you don't have a cold joint or a joint that has worked loose somewhere....
    Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Post Thanks / Like

I checked everything - looks fine. What should I do next? Start replacing one part at a time?

DVM - No, I didn't mess around with it when this started happening. How do I check "ground wire connection to the output jack"? It looks fine, no bad solder joints or loose cables. I think I've checked everything mentioned so far.

Maybe I should start replacing the output jack? This bothers me - it's my #2 guitar!

Post Thanks / Like

Does it buzz in all three positions? You could try hot-wiring one of the pickups directly to the jack. That would help isolate it. Did you test with a meter to make sure the grounds are all good?

I read on the TDPRI that some Fender wiring schemes end up creating a ground loop. Basically, the tone pot is grounded both through the control plate and by a connection to the volume pot. The result: a ground loop and hum.

For a real WAG: are you using the same guitar cable with all of your guitars? If it's a separate one for the Tele, that might have a short in it.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, all 3 positions. No, I didn't test with a meter - how do I do this?

Cables are good - I tested several - no hum on other guitars.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Robert,

Man I am stumped, everyone has pretty much covered anything I would have thought of. It is something that just happened and has not been acting up for a while. I would suspect the jack. This gets the most abuse and is usually problematic. Nothing else moves much other then the controls...hmm this is a tough one... Try taking the jack out and plugging the cord in with an amp on and move the jack around and see if you get trouble by moving it. This will show a bad connection or other problem.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'd have to agree that the prime suspect would seem to be the jack. Doesn't seem to be switch or pickup related, since all three positions do it. And as M29 states, the jack gets significant wear & tear. I'd go after that next.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to snug up my jack atleast once every 2 months...I totally suspect the jack...all your other connections are sealed and arent as prone as the jack.

Its almost worth the $6 bucks for the Switchcraft jack...I mean you kinda gotta disassemble your current one to check the connections anyways.*shrug*

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I'll try replacing the input jack.

R

Post Thanks / Like

I spent all $%^& night trying to fix this *&#$% thing. I give up! I replaced the input jack and the 3 way switch, still the ZZZZZ buzz is not going away. I'd better hand over the guitar to a "real guitar tech" before I end up performing a big "Smashing Of Guitar" show a la Hendrix or Townshend...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I spent all $%^& night trying to fix this *&#$% thing. I give up! I replaced the input jack and the 3 way switch, still the ZZZZZ buzz is not going away. I'd better hand over the guitar to a "real guitar tech" before I end up performing a big "Smashing Of Guitar" show a la Hendrix or Townshend...
    Could you please do it in front of the camera? I mean if you decide to wreck the guitar
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried different cables? My strat had a hum with one set of cables and none with another.
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

WackyT - yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    ROBERT SMASH!

I thought all you Canadians were peace-loving hippie types?

I'd say turning it over to a tech would be the only way to go now. I hope it doesn't come back that you have a bad pup. You could try to desolder the pups one by one and see if the buzzing disappears if one or the other is gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to dredge up the old thread, but did you ever figure out what your problem was, Robert? My tele has lately developed the same symptom. Buzzes like a fridge when I'm not touching anything, and all my wiring connections look sound. I'm perplexed.
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast