Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time playing out with a band!

Post Thanks / Like

Great job Steve. That's what it's all about. Just get out there and play. That's one of the best teachers in the world. I learn a little something every time I play out. When you play out it really helps you focus since there's no do-overs. You just put it out there and try to do it the best you can. There's always an element of fun to doing that unless you get bored with the songs or something. But then you just add more songs to keep if fun.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Got to play out again tonight. This time with a different keyboard player. It was fun to see how he affected the mix as he plays with more flourishes and can be heard more in the mix. Also, we did not have the assistance of a sound guy and a PA covering the hole band allowing a balancing of the mix. I, and the other student guitarist and the drummer were not mic'd. Next time, if I am not in the PA and others are, I will turn up the amp just a bit more to give me a little more range with my guitar volume knob when I am not adding overdrive/distortion via pedal. I was set only at 3. The audience said they could hear us and that we came through, but we could have been brought up a bit. Hard to tell when you are playing. I could hear myself fine , right next to the drummer. It was very fun and well received, and I was very happy with my rhythm playing and pretty happy with my solos. A bit strange playing with the canopy of smoke turning the sunset a burnt red. At least the smoke was up wind a mile or so.

Oh, I also didn't wear the crocs this time. Black shirt, black jeans and vans this time. Though I did play for a while in bare feet on the grass!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12