Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
$29.99 Bass at Music 123 - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: $29.99 Bass at Music 123

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thankful that at least some of you got a usable bass. Mine wasn't. With the exception of the fret sprout, the neck did seem to quite nice actually. It's just that the body was a POS. Mine was set up very oddly too. The action was VERY high, but still the saddles were pretty low. The pups were also set high. I had a hard time imagining that someone could have checked the box marked "setup" with a straight face. The intonation was pretty good on all but one string. Even that one wasn't far off.

I can definitely see how it would be neck-heavy. The body on that thing is teeny, especially compared to a massive Fender Jazz. The top horn might be long enough that if you use a strap with it the neck-heaviness wouldn't be killer.

Even with the plywood body, I would have considered keeping it if I hadn't had the problem with the control cavity cover. That was basically the straw the broke the camel's back. Herein lies the problem with getting ultra-cheap gear--no quality control whatsoever. Sometimes you hit the jackpot, sometimes you don't.

In a somewhat related story, I saw a sweet Spector bass on eBay that I immediately starting GASsing for. Unfortunately, I don't have the money right now--or for the foreseeable future. The low-end Spectors are relatively affordable. I figure when the time comes for me to actually get a bass, I might as well save up for that and get something I've been lusting after since college.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I'm thankful that at least some of you got a usable bass. Mine wasn't. With the exception of the fret sprout, the neck did seem to quite nice actually. It's just that the body was a POS. Mine was set up very oddly too. The action was VERY high, but still the saddles were pretty low. The pups were also set high. I had a hard time imagining that someone could have checked the box marked "setup" with a straight face. The intonation was pretty good on all but one string. Even that one wasn't far off.

I can definitely see how it would be neck-heavy. The body on that thing is teeny, especially compared to a massive Fender Jazz. The top horn might be long enough that if you use a strap with it the neck-heaviness wouldn't be killer.

Even with the plywood body, I would have considered keeping it if I hadn't had the problem with the control cavity cover. That was basically the straw the broke the camel's back. Herein lies the problem with getting ultra-cheap gear--no quality control whatsoever. Sometimes you hit the jackpot, sometimes you don't.

In a somewhat related story, I saw a sweet Spector bass on eBay that I immediately starting GASsing for. Unfortunately, I don't have the money right now--or for the foreseeable future. The low-end Spectors are relatively affordable. I figure when the time comes for me to actually get a bass, I might as well save up for that and get something I've been lusting after since college.
    Sorry that one didn't work out. Hope you have a great Father's day anyhow, even if the gift didn't work out this time.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Sorry that one didn't work out. Hope you have a great Father's day anyhow, even if the gift didn't work out this time.
    Hehe. It'll take a lot more than that to ruin a day for me After all, I still had beer! That does bring up another point . . . now I have to come up with another guitar-related Father's Day present! But that's another story for another thread.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Hehe. It'll take a lot more than that to ruin a day for me After all, I still had beer! That does bring up another point . . . now I have to come up with another guitar-related Father's Day present! But that's another story for another thread.
    Well, maybe a different hobby needs some luvvin. Maybe you need a carbonation/refrigeration outfit for the homebrew to take care of that nasty bottling job!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Yup. 5 gallon microkegs really speed up the "bottling" process. I haven't done microbrewing in ages. Used to love to make a good Porter.
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

Other gift idea thread can be found here. That way, this one can stay on the subject of these basses.

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to give this thread a bump to see what those who got a Fully bass thought about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't know if I have much more to say than I did before. The neck is pretty nice. The body is light and appears to be plywood (looks like layers under the paint in the control cavity). The guitar is a slight bit neck heavy, but not bad. The black finish isn't bad, and the controls feel pretty solid and work smoothly and quietly. I fixed the intonation (which was pretty close to begin with), and raised the E string to get rid of some rattling. Beyond that, it seems to make fairly nice thumpy noises. So it definitely seems worth the $30 I paid! But not having any experience with playing basses--good, bad or otherwise--I'm afraid I can't provide anything approaching definitive feedback!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I got one for my son (11). He is certainly happy, so I am too. I thumped on it some and did a little adjusting and must admit it is probably worth more that the $40 paid. They were sold out out of the silver/black ones so I picked up one that is a P copy. Not to bad and the price was very right.
    Dave
    "You don't have to act your age to feel it."
    DaveO

Post Thanks / Like

So now do we all get out our basses and do a track of just bass and bass soloing?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

/\ which basses, the $30 ones, or our other ones?

but yes, it is now our responsibilty.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234