Thread: The mad modder strikes again

Post Thanks / Like

Default The mad modder strikes again

I officially became a "Squier '51 modder" yesterday. Since I completely disassembled my Model 7 and am in the process of stripping it (see the blog in my sig for the gory details) I decided to put the Model 7's neck pickup in my '51. As I mentioned earlier, I was never pleased with the response on the high E string with the stock neck. Now with this one in, that problem is gone. Unfortunately, the stock neck cover wouldn't work, so now my neck pickup says "Jackson." Oh well. It meshes nicely with the stock bridge. I think it's also a bit "punchier" (for the lack of a better term) than the stock. I'm happy with it. That's a good thing since my Model 7 will be out of commission for some time.

I made one major blunder in this. I didn't realize that the leads for the neck pickup went through the bridge pickup route. I should've taped a length of wire to the old leads, pulled it through, and then used that same wire to pull the new leads through. Normally that wouldn't have been a big deal, except I was trying to do all of this without removing the strings.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Cool!
    Any pics? Or maybe clips?
    Glad to hear you're enjoying the pu swap.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Hello marnold,

Good to hear some positive progress on your '51. I have the same issue with my neck pickup but have not addressed it yet. It may not be as bad as yours was but it is something I want to address non the less. I get to liking my '51 more and more all the time, what an interesting axe.

Keep on Moddin!

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I made one major blunder in this. I didn't realize that the leads for the neck pickup went through the bridge pickup route. I should've taped a length of wire to the old leads, pulled it through, and then used that same wire to pull the new leads through.
    Try a peice of thread and a vacuum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBuSX
    Try a peice of thread and a vacuum.

What a bloody good idea.. *hits head*

You CAN teach on old dawg new tricks!!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=676362

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet ShortBuSX!!! What an idea

M29