Thread: Where to Place the Microphone ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where to Place the Microphone ?

I never placed a microphone in front of my amp before and need some advice. From what I have read being dead center gives you the best bright sound. I also understand as you move further way from center with the microphone the more warmer the sound.

Can anybody verify this microphone placement? Also what is a good distance between the microphone and the amplifier speaker?

Thanks
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim,

I've always placed the mic near the edge of the speaker pointed towards the center. It picks up the outside low end and the crispness from the center cone. Others might have interesting setups too.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Tim
    If you're micing the amp for live reinforcement you don't have to be too picky. If you are doing it to record and want the tone you hear in your head then put on your headphones, strum the guitar and move the mic around. Just listen to the differences in sounds. Off axis, straight on, against the grill cloth, 1 foot away, 3 feet away. They are all good for something so there isn't a real perfect way to do it (for recording). On the other hand for live and some of the best studio tracks that have been recorded a Sure Sm57 was placed lightly against the grill cloth, straight on and half way between the center and the edge of the speaker. Similar to what Tone says.

Good luck.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I've played live where, because of an absence of funds for a stand, we just looped the mic cord through the handle of the amp and let it dangle in front of the speaker. It works fine in a pinch.

For recording, we did a tape once where we experimented by placing a hollow cardboard tube around the mic, and placed the mic about a foot away from the bottom left speaker on my Marshall cab. Instant compressor! It worked great, and gave the tone a midrangey sound. Also, recording with an "ambient" mic several feet away (or, in an upper corner of the room) plus a regular mic in front of the speaker can give you some flexibility when mixing.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40