Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Fixing a broken headstock
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixing a broken headstock

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fixing a broken headstock

A friend of mine wanted an acoustic guitar, and I mentioned SX acoustics. He wanted one, so I ordered one for him.

A week after he got it, it fell over and landed with strings down. Crack - the headstock broke. It's a cheap guitar, and from what I've researched around here, it's not worth having a guitar tech fix it, since it would cost almost as much as buying a new guitar.

I figured with some help from you modding experts, maybe this SX can be put together good enough for him to play on. Any suggestions?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

You said a cheap guitar, so here a go, I would pull the strings off, go and get some gorilla glue, get that crack damp apply the glue and clamp, it will expand and try and make a mess on you wipe as needed with a damp throwaway rag this stuff is narly, the next day sand that area down and try to restain the wood, if the glue wont stain try and find a sharpie close to the stain color, it should work.
    It wont be that bad.
    Keith.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll defer to the woodworking experts here (of whom I am definitely not one!!), but that looks like a nice clean break, so I'd think some good quality wood glue and some clamps for a couple of days and it would at least be functional again....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of clamps and some Elmer's Carpenter's glue (yellow) or Titebond. Don't clamp it too tight or you'll squeeze too much of the glue out.
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

titebond premium wood glue, couple of clamps, and possibly a thin brass plate to aid in preventing the same fracture from opening again.

just my 2 cents worth, carp3nt3r.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh yes, the old "friend of mine." Robert just doesn't want us to know that he secretly broke yet another guitar neck As others mentioned, the break looks nice and clean, so the fix should be straightforward.

It reminds me of when I took my Charvel in to get it set up after I bought it. It slipped as I was taking it out of the gig bag (mental note: always lay the guitar down before removing from said gig bag) and landed strings-first on the hardwood floor. Thankfully it landed perfectly so no damage was done. Scared me to death, though. I could just see that reverse-swept pointy headstock snapping off.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

ROB! What did you do NOW!!!

Oh wait...it wasn't you this time. LMAO Hope your friend gets it fixed that sux. It looks like a real clean break I bet you could fix that fairly easily.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

LOL- I can see how you would expect that to be me! Honestly, it wasn't (this time...)

I found this photo story - http://www.timeelect.com/blsg.htm
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    LOL- I can see how you would expect that to be me! Honestly, it wasn't (this time...)

I found this photo story - http://www.timeelect.com/blsg.htm
    hahahaha I was just kidding ya man.

Hey that link is cool. They sure fixed that puppy up huh.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I would use Tightbond (Original) and clamp it tight. Give the glue plenty of time to dry. Patience patience patience...This should be a very successful repair with a clean break like that.

Robert did you break this one Just kidding.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

No need for a couple of support dowels? I was thinking I could drill holes and glue in dowels to help support the headstock so it doesn't "give" at the break?

Post Thanks / Like

Rather than dowels, I would be tempted to countersink a couple screws... but.. I am not a carp3 .. If it was ironwood I would weld that puppy

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, carpenter's glue and Titebond are stronger than the wood itself.
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Alesis NanoVerb
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

How many clamps would I need?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say at least 2.
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Alesis NanoVerb
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

I did it. I glued the darn thing together! I works great. I almost feel proud I managed to fix the guitar for my friend. He sure is happy now. As for me, I now have more feathers in my guitar-fixer-wannabee-hat!

Post Thanks / Like

Yea Yippy

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent! Glad to hear the repair went so well!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Yee Hah

Luthier Rob

M29

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast