Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Are you a Strat or LP kind 'a guy?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you a Strat or LP kind 'a guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Are you a Strat or LP kind 'a guy?

Okay friends, Sunnvalleylaw inspired my to post this thread....

Honestly, are you more of a Strat player or a Les Paul player. Everybody knows that this is kind of a religious topic in the musical scene, Clapton or Page, Slash or Hendrix, we could go on and on.

Here's my stand:
    I am a Strat guy! I also love my Les Paul, but I feel the most comfortable with my Strat. If had to chose on instrument for the rest of my life, the Strat would be the guitar I would pick and I do not have to think twice. The sound of the neck pu gives me still goosebumps, the versatility of the Strat is unbeatable (subjectively spoken). The body shape is so comfortable, and I think that when learning new stuff and licks I can better translate them to the Strat. I like the creamy HB sound of the Paula, but my Strat gives me a more tidy distortion so I can connect more with what I play what results in a more original and straightforward way of playing. It's easy....if I close my eyes and think of me playing guitar, I see myself with a Strat in 99 of 100 times. It's a friendly "open minded" guitar that easily get along with every kind of amp. Sparkle....sparkle.....

By the way, one thing that interests me much:

Do you play a)with the guitar volume on 10 always and rather change channels on your amp to get another sound, or do you b) play with the guitar volume at differnet positions and tap the full potential of what the Strat/Paul can deliver?

I am definitely an alternative "b" guy.

"A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Maaaaan, whachu trian to do? Make me think???

Although Ive got my amp/bad monkey/reverb combo set up right now so both my Strat and my Ibanez AS73 semi hollow are sounding equally sweet.

The Strat feels better in the hand, but the Ibanez has that oh so good FAT humbucker sound.

Now with that said, the new pups in my Strat have put a fresh breath of fire into my Strats tone.

So Im in a major quandry right now.

And Im a "B" guy but do "A" when need be
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old School

I think I'm neither - I'm a tele-guy At least this far into my guitar experience, so I have a few years to explore. I just love the rock & roll and/or country versatillity of the instrument.

I've played LP's a bit and like the power of their tone. My Strat experience is very limited and to me they feel overly comfortable - like something this good is too much guitar for my meager skills

I guess I'll just have to buy one now and figure this thing out

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Guess what I am!? (Not many Les Paul's in my house... )
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm both actually. And throw in a Tele kinda guy too.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75

Do you play a)with the guitar volume on 10 always and rather change channels on your amp to get another sound, or do you b) play with the guitar volume at differnet positions and tap the full potential of what the Strat/Paul can deliver?

I am definitely an alternative "b" guy.

Interesting, on my starts (single coil settings) I tend to use the volume control alot for different sounds. However on my PRS and also with my HSS strat on the humbucker I usually just crank the volume to 10. Maybe it's just the guitars I've played but I find HB's work best with guitar volume at 10 whereas single colils tend to be a bit more dynamic in the that way.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Oops forgot to comment on the other question. I'm type b). I love the Strat volume knob on around 7 for most things. Not too gainy, not too compressed. Bell tones come out nicely there. On my Les Paul I'm anywhere from 1 to 10 depending on what I'm playing also. The Gibson volume pots are linear so when you turn down the volume it doesn't really go down like you'd expect. So even at 2 or 3 it's sounding like 7 or 8. Full on 10 though on the Gibson for soloing and general 80s shred when I'm in the mood for that.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. I'm a Strat and a LP guy and I use my volumes. My preference usually depends on which has fresher strings.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess if I had to pick between the two for an all around guitar, I'd pick the Strat. You just can't Strats for versatility and also comfort. You can cover almost any style of music with a Strat, but you can't really say the same about a Les Paul.

However, I've always wanted to have a good Les Paul also. I don't currently own one but would like to have one, or a 335. I actually think that 335's are a little more versatile than Les Pauls though, so I'd probably go for one of those.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I'm a Strat guy, seeing that's all I have. I'm thinking my next electric is going to be a Tele.
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

As the question is stated, I guess I wouldn't call myself a Strat or LP or any other kind of guitar "guy". I love my Dot and my Tele, too, because they do different things than the Strat and the LP. Heck, I even love my $30 Fat Fully for some things! And I hope to be loving some P90 guitar later this year!

Now if the question was stated a bit differently, like "If you could only have one of your guitars on a desert island (which happens to have electrical power and a warehouse full of vintage amps), which one would it be?", then I'd have to go with my Strat. Reasons:

• Tonal flexibility, esp. with a couple of p'up wiring mods
    • My first electric was a Strat, so they hold a special place in my heart
    • My Strat Plus is my best guitar (though my Epi Elitist LP Std. is a close 2nd)
    • If it was good enough for SRV....

I tend to keep the volume dimed on my guitars most of the time, and control tone through the amp and (when used) pedal settings. Then again, I play in a fairly small room and can literally just reach over to the amp controls. Guess I've been spoiled by the flexibility of my Vox AD30VT; if I want "clean", I just spin the amp model dial over to "Boutique Clean" or "Black 2x12"!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for starting it off Jimi75. I have been playing guitar seriously for only a year, and have owned an electric only since October 06, so it is probably premature to say.

However, I think I am a strat guy for if I could only have one. How I got there was when I was shopping originally for a guitar, I started thinking I wanted a Fat Strat and was looking at the Fender with the special switch. I was influenced in that frankly by Billy Joe Armstrong's Fernandes Fat Strat. Because I like punk and a lot of other stuff, I thought if Greenday could punk out on a strat, plus I could do other types of stuff, that was it.

Then, I decided I wanted to go purist on the strat and go SSS config. I started playing guitars and have mine as a result.

In looking for another electric, I have been thinking I want something that sounds different than a strat, and have been leaning to the LP world. I recall Tone extolling the virtues of having access to one of each. But, when I played a couple at Spud's, it was clear I would want a thinner profile neck version. I don't yet get the shorter scale thing, and the modern C strat necks, ( and some of the shredder ibanez necks) seem right to me. So, I want to add a humbucking guitar, probably an LP, but a strat is my first love, and I am a loyal guy. I would welcome comments on how I am approaching this.

Oh, also I am a guitar volume knob guy. Largely due to learning from the great people here, especially in this area, Spud and Tone. Thanks guys.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

It would depend on the day of the week some times got to have that sweet glassy strat sound and other if its not dual coil it just don't get it

Must be my multiple personalities com min out

Post Thanks / Like

since I've only been playing cuitar for a year, and only own a tele copy, I don't know much about it, but I'd probably go for the strat, because I just like thelook feel, and versatility.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to say "I'm a tele kind of guy" but somebody used that line before me hehe. I think I should say I'm a Fender guy but I'm looking for a Les Paul for "sonic variety"

Post Thanks / Like

Strat-Tele anything with a decent single coil is my preference with the volume 8-10 most of the time...I like those dang Buckers also...
    Last edited by Big K; June 10th, 2007 at 04:53 PM. Reason: additional comment
    Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Post Thanks / Like

Default can't it be both?

i have a gibson es-135 and a squier strat, and i love the sound of each of them. i use them for completely different things, and they are usually tuned differently as a result, but each serves it's purpose and i wouldn't replace either of them. still looking for that in an acoustic.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to say. I suppose I'm a super-Strat kind of guy which would make it a kung-fu combination.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Of the two choices, definitely LP over Strat. For single coil sounds I like Teles and other options (I have a Gretsch with DeArmond 2000's, 3 P-90 guitars, a funky Bronwsville semi-hollow with three toastertop sinlges, and a Ric with High-Gains).

That being said, I do own a Peavey USA Predator Strat, so I have a twang bar and quack sounds available.

As for the second question, though volume and tone are most often at ten, I do use both tone and volume pots to color sound, as well as the pickup selector. I could never figure out guys with two-pickup guitars who never come off the bridge pup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast