Thread: A couple questions

Threaded View

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's see - you mean you want to find phrases that sound good and don't start with the first finger? An obvious idea would to play licks and phrases you already know in reverse order - that might "open up the eyes of your fingers", so to speak.

There are no rules in the phrases you play. I mean, listen to Miles Davis. Man, did he ever play cool phrases! He would start at a different place of the beat than most other players. I think that's why he so quickly had the legendary, older jazz players looking at him. He was doing way cooler things than everybody else.

Anyway, what I suggest I guess is try new things. Force yourself to play new phrases and ideas, even though the fingers might struggle to keep up. It could in itself lead to new ideas and a better grasp of playing good phrases.

Another idea is to play notes of a phrase in different order. For example, if the notes are C, D, A, G - try playing them in all different combinations. D, A, C, G; A, D, G, C; etc.... then try it with a different timing and accentuation!

Hope that helps you some,
    Robert
    Last edited by Robert; June 9th, 2007 at 09:23 AM.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.