Thread: Neck mounting inserts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Neck mounting inserts

Hello,

I ran across this on the Warmoth site and thought it might be interesting for the Fret.Netters to see.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=163.0

M29

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen this done before, but I've yet to try it myself. I really like the idea though. In fact, I liked the idea so much that I used smaller brass inserts like these for the pickguard screws on my Squire 51. The body on that guitar is basswood, which is soft and strips out easily. The inserts were a great improvement.

I know that this may be splitting hairs (and perhaps entirely unnecessary), but with the neck inserts you could easily torque each screw as well. It probably wouldn't make even the slightest iota of difference in the final tone, but I'll bet I can convince myself that it does...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    I've seen this done before, but I've yet to try it myself. I really like the idea though. In fact, I liked the idea so much that I used smaller brass inserts like these for the pickguard screws on my Squire 51. The body on that guitar is basswood, which is soft and strips out easily. The inserts were a great improvement.

I know that this may be splitting hairs (and perhaps entirely unnecessary), but with the neck inserts you could easily torque each screw as well. It probably wouldn't make even the slightest iota of difference in the final tone, but I'll bet I can convince myself that it does...
    well....it would prolly improve sustain because of the added clamping force on the body/neck pocket. As far as tone, I agree that I wouldn't have the slightest clue on what it would do.
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.