Thread: A little funk guitar lesson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A little funk guitar lesson

I made video about how to play funky guitar.

Check out my funk guitar lesson and let me know your thoughts.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I must confess that I smiled quietly to myself when I heard you say in a Swedo-Canadian accent, "In order to play funky grooves like that . . ." Of course, I didn't expect you to morph into Bootsy Collins either Good stuff as always. My right hand technique could definitely use some work (no comments from the peanut gallery).

Are you doing something different with the recording of the guitar sounds? It sounds clearer/better. Not that it sounded bad before . . .
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Robert,

I think the essence of your video only starts around 4:34 min. Let me explain my thought:

I figured out that so many people do not have the groove, because they do not understand the right hand technique. Whether you play a left hand lick or not does is not that important for first, if we are talking basics. Creating a percussive pattern with the right hand slowed down is where the basics start. Then for me after having the technique and getting used to the lose ankle movement, I would add a 7th chord, which implements the typical sound. Only after that a lick would follow. So if your lesson is determined for "beginners" I would make it a three part funk lesson, because the rather quick start of your video could be a little confusing to somebody who is not familiar with that technique.

As always, your sound with that new guitar is great and the funky stuff you play is pretty authentic sounding with a very good natural timing.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Marnold - am I doing something different? Yes, I bought a new guitar!

Jimi, good suggestions. I figured the lesson as a whole could be useful since there's a lot of repetition in there.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert

Jimi, good suggestions. I figured the lesson as a whole could be useful since there's a lot of repetition in there.

Great lessons and good comments. Jimi, you have steered me as to how I will approach the lesson. I had learned a "chuck" muting already, so I think I will play with the right hand stuff using the "chuck" and get comfortable before adding the notes. I think I will get less frustrated that way. I have been wanting to learn more about right hand and strum patterns and rhythms, and have been up to now pretty locked into a down, down, up, up, down 4/4 pattern, unless I do a 3/4 bluegrass/waltz type of thing. (that one is very basic. I remember 3/4 from my piano days, but am very basic at it). The next one I was going to try and master was a basic reggae, which I think would lead to this. Thanks guys!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa Robert!! That was one of your best. I like the time that you took to explain everything.

I think 8-15 minute lessons are great.

Killer funk playing, your new guitar sounds incredible.

Thanks!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tot - glad to hear you dig it!

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff Robert, I appreciated the explanations and demo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    The recording sounded like you had the amp mic'd separately. Of course, judging from the fact that I can't see the amp, I assume it was closer to the camera.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't any closer, maybe just at a different angle, or maybe the amp was louder, who knows.

Post Thanks / Like

excellent lesson robert.

funk players like leo nocentelli [the meters] or steve cropper [the mg's] show how a simple two-chord groove can open up so many possibilities rhythmically. i like the groove you got going in that lesson. plenty of room to jam on something like that.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer