Thread: I'm debating.....

pes_laul Guest

Question I'm debating.....

Right now i play a squire affinity strat from the 80s or so and i'm getting a new guitar soon i'm a gibson les paul guy my self but im not pulling that kinda of cash and i was wondering would a epiphone be out of the hand for a nice guitar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    Right now i play a squire affinity strat from the 80s or so and i'm getting a new guitar soon i'm a gibson les paul guy my self but im not pulling that kinda of cash and i was wondering would a epiphone be out of the hand for a nice guitar
    Well. Les Paul himself has been quoted as saying that he wouldn't let his name on them go unchallenged if he didn't think they were a fine guitar.

Only thing a decent end Epi will short you on is electronics..

You will likely want to replace the pups down the road.

Epi, new pups, new tuners.. a perfectly playable beast at less than half the price of a Paul.

Thats my opinion anwyas.

One note, all Epis are not created equal.. as with Squire they both have their upper and lower end pieces.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to me that Epiphone is turning out some pretty amazing guitars these days. I've played a few LP's recently that were great guitars and pretty tempting. As with any guitar though, choose wisely.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't agree more. After hearing about Voodoo's new acquisition I've acquired more G.A.S. for another Les Paul. It could very well be another Epi. Those Gold Tops are really nice looking.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I have two Epi Les Pauls. The most recent is a made in China birdseye limited edition. It needs nothing changed on it. I think the new ones are just fine, but certainly play them before you buy if you can. It's best to find one that you fall in love with.

The other one I have is a late 90's made in Korea. These you would have to find used but are probably worth the effort...if you can play it first. Otherwise...you never know.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

You May want to take a look at this one on Musiciansfriend,it is a Epi Les Paul Custom.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=518073

I recently recieved an order from them and they always throw in a close out flyer with the order.their regular price is 599.99 and now the close out price is 399.99.if you place an order.. call their toll free number and use the source code 706T you can get it for that price.For some odd reason it doesn't work when you place an order online,so just call them and do it that way if you decide this is what you may want.Not a bad deal!!.I am seriously thinking about getting one myself.

Guitars: 99 Gibson ES-335,1985 Gibson Les Paul 59 Reissue,Schecter C1 Artist,Squire 51,Peavey Generation Triple/single EX,Fender Deluxe Fat Strat, Cortez Acoustic,Epiphone Acoustic.

Effects: Arion SCH-1 Chorus,Boss BD2,Bad Monkey,Boss DD3 Delay,Boss GE-7 EQ ,Arion SOD-1 overdrive,TC Electronic Nova Repeater Delay,Ibanez Tone-Lok DE7 Delay/Echo.

Amps: B52 AT-212 100watt all Tube ,FMJ SS(being restored),1=Epiphone Valve Junior Head and 2 matching Cabs, Hughes& Kettner Edition Blue 15DFX, Crate V18 112,Fender Super Champ XD,Fender 25R Frontman Series II.

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ET335
    You May want to take a look at this one on Musiciansfriend,it is a Epi Les Paul Custom.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=518073

I recently recieved an order from them and they always throw in a close out flyer with the order.their regular price is 599.99 and now the close out price is 399.99.if you place an order.. call their toll free number and use the source code 706T you can get it for that price.For some odd reason it doesn't work when you place an order online,so just call them and do it that way if you decide this is what you may want.Not a bad deal!!.I am seriously thinking about getting one myself.
    Have you played a epi black beauty if so how does it sound and how does the pickup selector work?

Post Thanks / Like

no I have not played one of those Kris,but have played several other models of Epi's and some are better than others as far as what I like,as Spudman has suggested it would be a good idea to go and play several different models to find one to fit you

Guitars: 99 Gibson ES-335,1985 Gibson Les Paul 59 Reissue,Schecter C1 Artist,Squire 51,Peavey Generation Triple/single EX,Fender Deluxe Fat Strat, Cortez Acoustic,Epiphone Acoustic.

Effects: Arion SCH-1 Chorus,Boss BD2,Bad Monkey,Boss DD3 Delay,Boss GE-7 EQ ,Arion SOD-1 overdrive,TC Electronic Nova Repeater Delay,Ibanez Tone-Lok DE7 Delay/Echo.

Amps: B52 AT-212 100watt all Tube ,FMJ SS(being restored),1=Epiphone Valve Junior Head and 2 matching Cabs, Hughes& Kettner Edition Blue 15DFX, Crate V18 112,Fender Super Champ XD,Fender 25R Frontman Series II.

Post Thanks / Like

Default black beauty

My best freind owns the Black Beauty, and wow amazing guitar the selector switch got top middle and bottom for each pick up, im sure that sounds retarded but i couldnt figure out a better way of saying it. But yeah the guitar beats all of the gibson les paul studio's ive played and is just amazing.
    Random Gear
    Ibanez S470(sold)
    Fender Strat MIM (sold)
    Ibanez Iceman ic300(sadly sold)
    Ibanez Iceman X
    Squier afinity strat
    Fender 12 String Acoustic
    Conn 12 String Acoustic
    Old 70's Tiesco Electric
    Old Silvertone steel Guitar (50's)
    Samick Bass stingray copy
    Fender bassman (73)
    Peavey Bandit 112 (sold)
    Jordan entertainer 110 (72)
    Fender usa strat (stolen)

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme (Qotsa)