Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
How old were you when you picked your first guitar up and what kind was it? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How old were you when you picked your first guitar up and what kind was it?

Post Thanks / Like

erm, i think i was about 7?

played a classical guitar my cousin gave to my dad.

been heavily influenced into blues by my cousin, and his USA strat that he never plays any more (he plays a washburn acoustic mostly...)
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

I was 6. My elementary school principal told my parents I had to much energy and I should have a hobby (yes, I was THAT much trouble). My grandfather said he would take care of it. We went to a music store (under a furniture store and looked around.

I came home with a 3/4 scale Kingston Folk guitar and lessons. I still have it in my closet. How I played it is beyond me.

I got my first electric (Toyota Barney Kessel semi-hollow) a year later after my instructor said I needed a better guitar.

I have been playing ever since (38 years)... and still SUCK! :
    -- Joe --
    Guitars:
    Gibson: '08 Longhorn DC HS
    Martin: '09 OM-1
    Ovation: '07 Elite-T 1868T; '95 Celebrity Deluxe CC257; '95 Balladeer 1751 12-string
    Fender: '91 Stratocaster Plus; '69 Mustang Competition; '08 Squier Telecaster CV50
    Other: '77 Bradley Les Paul Custom; '03 Michael Kelly Patriot Q
    Bass: '08 Dean EABC
    Effects:
    MXR Dyna Comp; Dunlop Crybaby; DOD TR3R; Ibanez MT10; Rockman Soloist
    Amps:
    Genz Benz Shenandoah Jr.; Peavey Studio Pro 110; Tascam MP-GT1

Post Thanks / Like

28, which was last year. It was a PRS Tremonti SE, which I still have and now has PRS USA pickups and a push pull pot.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was about 3 or 4, my mom let me play her guitar laying across my lap. In 3rd grade, I got my own no-name classical guitar and took lessons for about 2 years from a cool hippie guy named Michele.

After that, I pretty much only tinkered with the guitar until my wife bought me my Takamine in 1984 so I could sing and play at a friend's wedding (the Paul Stookey "Wedding Song." Yecch!) I put a pickup on it and it's my only acoustic guitar.

I only took the guitar out once or twice a year after that to let our kids play and to noodle around.

I started playing again in earnest almost 3 years ago when my youngest went off to college. I've been playing constantly since then, taking lessons on and off (back on now) and playing with our church worship band.

I love the guitar — it's officially my passion.

Guitars: Takamine F-349, PRS Mira
    Pedals: Line 6 M13 Stompbox Modeler, Boss TU-2 Tuner
    Amp: VOX Valvetronix AD30VT, Ultrasound AG-50DS4

Post Thanks / Like

I'm too old to remember that, I was very young , it was an acoustic of some sort that's been about 47 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I was about 13 and had a fried who had several guitars. The one I made noises on most was a Klira strat-like instrument with a strange red vinyl finish. In fact it was more like a cheaper Hofner Galaxie.
    I got my own first guitar for my 14th birthday, a horrid Jedson tele look-alike. http://jedsonguitars.net/ scroll down to "Tele-style B" to see one in its full horrific glory.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I was probably 14 and it was a Silvertone and the case was an amp.
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

For my 14th birthday my mum hunted down the cheapest guitar she could find on the internet, I played it without knowing what the hell I was doing for a while, and didnt touch it again until about a month ago. God I can't wait 'till I get a new guitar.. :S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaLovesJak
    For my 14th birthday my mum hunted down the cheapest guitar she could find on the internet, I played it without knowing what the hell I was doing for a while, and didnt touch it again until about a month ago. God I can't wait 'till I get a new guitar.. :S

you mean you didnt touch it again till i let you play on my gear and you want to get into it now?

=]

ahh im getting you your new amp for your bday =] cus im so awesome to you.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I took a stab at it when I was about 12 or 13 with a guitar my parents purchased from Western Auto (it was more on line with a hardware store)

It looked just like this.

Equal it weight to this

Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I started playing my dad's Yamaha classical when I was 11. I bought my first electric at 13. It was a Series 10 Strat copy that I bought from this 16 year old skater kid for $50. I played it for a year until it was stolen (by the skater kid I bought it from).
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

1969 or 70 Framus Acoustic (still have). I was 8 and influenced by my fathers music taste (country) and more specific, Johnny Cash. Got the guitar from mom and dad for Christmas. First teacher was very good except for the dreaded Mel Bay torture! Got my first electric from my parents a year later. Heit with a Checkmate amp (still have also). I had found The Doors! Went away to school in 74 and the playing fell silent till the late 80's. Got the bug again, bought a 1979 ES335 and got acquainted to the blues. Been playing ever since!
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Think I was 11 or 12. Had a plastic Roy Rogers guitar I think it had nylon strings. Then one year my Dad got me a cheapie electric (Sorrento). I was hooked after that.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm always late to these threads ....

I was 13 when I first started playing. My first guitar (that I owned) was a Fender acoustic. It was a crappy guitar but I played it all the time. I also borrowed guitars from other people. The school where I went would lend out classical guitars over the summer break. I did that a few times.

Then I saved up and bought a used Ibanez Les Paul copy after I had played for a couple of years. It was my first electric. I played that guitar all through high school. It was also a crappy guitar. It wasn't one of the really "good" Les Paul copies that Ibanez had made in the early 70s.

Come to think of it. I owned low-budget guitars until I graduated from college. This is when I bought my Martin and my Fender Eric Clapton model. These were the first "good" guitars I owned.

The one lesson I learned is that you will never regret buying quality guitars. But I do have some low budget ones that I regret owning, they seemed like a good idea at the time :-)

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Hey K! I was 16 and the git was a 59 I think, Les Paul Junior.

M

Post Thanks / Like

Well, as long as the thread is being revived anyway...

I think I was about 15 or 16, and I found my mom's old classical guitar somewhere. Man did that thing suck! I kid you not, it must have had about 1/2" clearance at the 12th fret.

I tried to play whatever I could on that thing, mostly my favorite rock tunes at the time (on a classical guitar...). I bought an acoustic through a mail-order catalog that was 36" from end to end and had horrific fretwork. Somewhere in there my parents bought me a Fender acoustic for my birthday, which was my only guitar until I was ~24. Its primary function involved sitting in corners.

I bought a Squier strat off of ebay, started playing a bunch more, bought a Seagull, bought an Agile, sold the Squier, and I was off to the races. That probably started around age 26.

Wow...5 years gone since then??
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I got hooked on the guitar by looking in the Sears catalog when I was about 8 years old. All those Strat, Explorer, and LP copies!

My Dad bought me a little Hondo nylon string acoustic that same Christmas. I got bored and didn't touch it for a long time, because I couldn't make sense of the instructional books at the time (especially with no instruction).

Fast forward to age 15. I ran into more people who played, and had a buddy at school that had a Les Paul who let me play, and showed me a few things. My Dad had a buddy who played in his own country band professionally, and he showed me my first chords, using the Roy Clark Guitar Method book.

It was all downhill from there. My mom got me a Strat copy from the Sears catalog, along with a solid state amph that weighed a ton, and had a switch for fuzz tone.

I don't have the old Hondo anymore. I had put regular acoustic strings on instead of nylons, and pretty much destroyed it over the years.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

About 15 when my parents bought me a cheapo no-name acoustic guitar with baling wire for strings and that good high action I've seen mentioned above. Talk about callouses! I eventully saved up some money and bought a Harmony Sovereign when I was 18. That was my only guitar until about ten years ago when I traded my truck for some cash and and a couple of electric guitars and an amp. Then I bought my Taylor 310 and pretty much retired the Harmony.
    Guitars: Charvel/Jackson CSM-1G, DeArmond M-75, DeArmond Starfire Special, DeArmond S-73, Epiphone Collegiate UK, Squier 51, Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, Harmony Sovereign, Taylor 310, Takamine 12 string, SX thinline, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez JTK30,
    Amps: Earth Sound Research G-2000 Super Guitar head into Avatar G212H cab, Fender Sidekick 20 Chorus, Peavey Classic 20, Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Express 112, Fender Super Champ XD, Vibro Champ XD
    Effects: Digitech EX-7, Digitech RP-250

Post Thanks / Like

Well since we are digging up threads from a year ago I will chime in. I was about 7 and my Grandmother bought me a really cheap red acoustic guitar. My aunt put me through classical lessons for a couple of years. I hated it. I wanted to play like Ace Frehley. I still have the guitar under the bed. Thank goodness for my Washburn D46 because it is so much easier to play than that old piece of crap.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast