Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
How old were you when you picked your first guitar up and what kind was it?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How old were you when you picked your first guitar up and what kind was it?

pes_laul Guest

Post How old were you when you picked your first guitar up and what kind was it?

I first started skiddle diddling on my dads whatever brand acoustic then when i was 8 he got me a squire affinity strat wich is still the one i use today.
    Last edited by pes_laul; July 6th, 2007 at 08:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Type: Fullerton Strat clone
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

17 (about 100 years ago). On a borrowed Harmony acoustic.
    One of these days I am going to learn to really play.
    Dave
    "You don't have to act your age to feel it."
    DaveO

Post Thanks / Like

44; 1 & 1/2 years ago: Godin Radiator & Godin SD. Still my only guitars.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

19 and a mid- 60's Fender Mustang
    Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

About 38, having a received a Joshua acoustic as a gift. Plunked on that awhile then basically put it away a few years until starting lessons about a year and a month ago. Playing nearly every day, if only for just a little, since.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thirteen, and I picked up a guitar from a post order company called "Hobbex" (http://www.hobbex.se/). Complete piece of crap, but I was bitten by the guitar bug, and I upgraded to what I think was a black Stagg, a Les Paul copy.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I was thirteen, and I picked up a guitar from a post order company called "Hobbex" (http://www.hobbex.se/). Complete piece of crap, but I was bitten by the guitar bug, and I upgraded to what I think was a black Stagg, a Les Paul copy.
    Ok, the question is begging to be asked. How long until you switched to primarily strats from the LP copy? This is fun! Good to know some of this history about each other.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, good question, Steve! I don't really know. I had a bunch of different type of guitars until I got a strat. I had a strat when I was 17 or so, then I got rid of it and didn't get one until I was in my early twenties. I need to sit down some day and write down all the guitars I can remember I've had.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It would be fun to see that list sometime!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I don't even know the name of the acoustic, but it was bigger than I was and it was the same year that man first walked on the moon...that we know of.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was 13 my uncle Freddy Ray gave me a really cool but old Stella acoustic (made by Harmony)...it was a black and reddish sunburst with wonderful tone. He taught me how to tune it and from there I learned how to tune my guitar to the "radio" to play along with songs I wanted to learn.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

13/14 years old

White Synsonic STRAT-type guitar with Maple neck and black pickguard

Squier 15w amp - one channel

one curly cable

no strap

three picks

Book for starters with a felxible vinyl, if you remember those LPs....
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. Those little flexible records that came in books. I haven't seen one of those in years.
    "You don't have to act your age to feel it."
    DaveO

Post Thanks / Like

I was 13, I think. The guitar was a POS rental acoustic from the music store. I hated it, it hated me, and my parents wouldn't get me an electric. I eventually got my own cheap POS acoustic that gradually fell apart. When I was 18 I got my first bass, which was also a cheap POS that weighed a ton. A couple of years later, I traded it in for a Peavey Fury p-bass. I foolishly sold that upon graduation from the Sem. Duh! I got my first electric when I was 31.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I was about 8 or 9...Id gotten bored with (breaking the strings on)the plastic toy novelty guitars and begged my parents to get me a real one...which I had to agree to leasons and that Id take it seriously. The dreams of being a rockstar came early for me...I agreed to the leasons, but had no idea what I was getting myself into. My first guitar was a nylon stringed beginner acoustic, the leasons followed. At first I was realy anxious to begin...but Mel Bay ruined whatever fun Id previously thought playing guitar would be...all the songs that Id hated as a kid I was now being taught how to play...wonderful songs that inspire children to takeup musical instruments, classics like Kumbiya, Shell Be coming Around The Mountain...terrible songs that annoy me to this day. I tired of the lessons, but not quite as soon as my teacher had...then he made a deal with me, that he wouldnt tell my parents I hadnt been practicing if I didnt tell them I wasnt learning anything...but I guess his concious got the best of him, because it wasnt long before he told my parents and the gig was up.

Bout 3 years later I was intorduced to the music of Motly Crue and Ratt and was inspired to buy an electric guitar with my own money(actually my parents matched my funds)...but this time without strings attached and on my own terms. Lessons did follow, but this time around learning songs I wanted to with the aid of "tabs" which seemed like a relitively new way of learning at the time. I played till I was 16 or so and then moved on to other hobbies and past times...I felt like Id hit a plateu and wasnt getting any better, my tastes in music were evolving. Id pick up my guitar every once again, but only as a temporary escape or challenge to test my memory and see if I still had the dexterity.

It wasnt till my birthday last year before Id even considered buying another guitar and taking it seriously again. I dont think Id be as into it if it werent for the internet and great places to learn stuff quickly, like here at the Fret or the Telecaster forum...or the hundreds of readily available tab sites.
    AND people like ROBERT and DVM!

Post Thanks / Like

My first was a total POS Kay acoustic with an action so high you could fly a small airplane under the strings and not hit the body. Sunburst finish, I remember. I was 15, and the first song I learned the chords to was Louie Louie, mostly 'cuz Smoke on the Water hadn't been written yet! LOL!! After that, I had an Epiphone acoustic for a while, then sold that and bought a Guild flattop that I had for several years; nice guitar. I didn't get my first electric until I got out of college and started working--an antique white Strat with a maple neck; real Hendrix-y guitar. Too bad I couldn't play like him!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

My first a Kent single pickup, sort like a strat. Got it around age 13. Once, I was waiting for my guitar teacher, he shows up with three guys who had vapor locked their van. They got his interest because of the guitar cases in back and invited them to see the guitars he built. I visited with the first guy, his name was Tommy Shannon, then Stevie Ray came back out after the drummer went in to get him. He played a few licks on it. They werent famous yet. Crappy cheap guitar but will never part with it.

Post Thanks / Like

12 years old when I bought my first guitar, a Framus Jazzmaster copy. I played the hell out of this guitar for years before I moved on..............

...........................and I still own it:

Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast