Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
6/8 Blues

Thread: 6/8 Blues

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 6/8 Blues

Been practicing slow 6/8 blues tonight. Here are two takes - which is better?

Take 1

Take 2
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Take 1:
    Very good take. Intelligent. Maybe too intelligent.

Take 2:
    That thing was real - a little more Highway 61, if you know what I mean. Especially 01:44-01:50 had balls and the beginning was fresh and surprising.

It is good to hear that you are always able to follow the chords, which is lightyears away of guys who only stay in th same position.

Robert, what is is that you are diving so deep into the blues lately - this fits your playing so well my friend!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,
    Your blues phrasing is really well executed on both of these fine cuts, I really enjoyed both of the cuts, keep up the fine work!

Post Thanks / Like

man that's a hard choice....both were excellent!

take 2 was a little less complex which i think works well with the blues....both are going on my ipod!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! I love blues. I am really a blues player at heart, and I usually don't have so much time to "practice", but the last 2 evenings, I've been having some time available so I figured I should make attempts at recording something.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for #2
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Can you put up the bare backing track in case anyone else wants to mess with it?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Robert,

These are both really great takes. But having listened to both. I like the first take. There's some good flow to that take especially. There's great ideas in both but the first take flows better. I really like these changes you're playing over, kind of the "Stormy Monday" changes. There's some good places to depart from the Blues scale to do some more jazzier things over those minor chords. You're doing great ideas over those changes!

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like them both and think they each are good takes. My personal favorite of the two was take 2. Felt a little looser right away and conveyed more feeling sooner to me. I can learn tons from both though. I am putting both on my iPod too! Thanks!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I'm conflicted. They are both great!

#1 has a great smokey feel (Jim nailed it with the Stormy Mondays reference).

#2 is looser & more playful.

I'd say it was #2 by a nose.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Both sound very good Robert.. If one would have to chose.. depending on the time of day... I pick Number 1, it has a great flow to it and some BB king in it.. Number 2 if later in the evening.. has a mild srv sound to it.. and they both have a Robert Renman to them.. well played.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

both are awsome but #2 was my favourite, it's a bit more bluesy to my ears.
    +1 for Spuds suggestion on the backing track. Great work Robert!
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, glad to hear you like me blues!

Here is the backing track - http://www.box.net/shared/static/4s8xjguk0f.mp3

Post Thanks / Like

man....correct me if I'm wrong, but your use of the 2nd postion in the pentatonic is great....phrasing is spot on, and yeah, you deff know your scale structure's......ace job. I would have love to have herd a flattened fifth in there with a heavy pick attack...you know, lay some grit over the rhythm guitar, and maybe you could have dabbled with a tri tone.....

But any way you cut it, your blues chops are a-ok by me!
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

Both tracks sound great, but my favorite is number #1. Very cool sound, and nice melody.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009