Thread: Bill Frisell

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bill Frisell

The man is, in my opinion, the absolute master of guitar tone. His playing is spectacular, and between his own work and his work as a sideman, he has played in every genre from bluegrass to speed metal. Of living guitar players, he is behind only Marc Ribot on my list of favorites, and it is a close call.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I love him too. Fantastic player and with a unique sound. I think he uses Lexicon LXP-5's for his effects.

I love his way of chording. To say that he knows what he's doing would be a grave understatement!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Just picked up Good Dog, Happy Man & East/West. Both are fantastic.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed! The range of his playing is astonishing - you can always tell it's him, but he plays with so many different - and so varied stylistically - musicians.

"Good Dog' is among my favorites, along with 'Gone like a Train' (to my ears, a kind of quitessential American music), and a great international brew on 'The Intercontinentals'. And he did a couple of interesting albums with Ginger Baker (yes, that Ginger Baker - I hadn't known he was still alive).

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the rest of you fretter brother should really check him out. He's not a shredder, no instead he is a incredibly tasteful player who knows how to play the notes that count.

Listen to him here play a classic Dylan song "Just Like A Woman", played the "Frisell" way. Beautiful!

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we already spoke about Bill once, didn't we?

He's such a great player and it his use of the whammy bar is incredibly melodic.

His compositions and arrangements are high class.

Love this guy's music and tone.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Robert]Yeah, the rest of you fretter brother should really check him out. He's not a shredder, no instead he is a incredibly tasteful player who knows how to play the notes that count.

Listen to him here play a classic Dylan song "Just Like A Woman", played the "Frisell" way. Beautiful!

However, the man can shred like no other when it's called for [check out John Zorn's "Naked City" to hear some fine examples of Frisell playing all out.]
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

I remember checking "Before We Were Born" out of the library many years ago. I really enjoyed that CD.

Frisell is a fantastic player.

I do own "Nashville" which I like a great deal, but then again I like bluegrass and some country.

I also got "Smash & Scatteration" by Frisell and Vernon Reid a few weeks back. I like that CD as well, although the drum machine sounds are dated, IMHO. OTOH, great guitar playing is never dated.

If I wanted to increase my Bill Frisell collection, what are the essential recordings for a beginner like me?

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Yeah, the rest of you fretter brother should really check him out. He's not a shredder, no instead he is a incredibly tasteful player who knows how to play the notes that count.

This almost sounds like a Renaissance lute piece, the way he plays it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan

If I wanted to increase my Bill Frisell collection, what are the essential recordings for a beginner like me?

tung
    Tung,

If you like the country/bluegrass sounds of "Nashville" I would def suggest you pick up both "Good Dog, Happy Man" and "The Willies." Other essential Frisell I would suggest would be "Have a Little Faith" "Ghost Town" "Gone Just Like a Train" "Blues Dream" and "East/West" [which is a fantastic 2-CD live compilation].

Post Thanks / Like

R_of_G,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.

Regards,

tung

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    Tung,

If you like the country/bluegrass sounds of "Nashville" I would def suggest you pick up both "Good Dog, Happy Man" and "The Willies." Other essential Frisell I would suggest would be "Have a Little Faith" "Ghost Town" "Gone Just Like a Train" "Blues Dream" and "East/West" [which is a fantastic 2-CD live compilation].
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$