Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
What is the worst amp you ever bought?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the worst amp you ever bought?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the worst amp you ever bought?

Tell us about the bad amp you bought and couldn't wait to get rid of?

I traded a guitar for a Peavey Deuce which I later found out was broken. It would blow a few fuse every 30 minutes...
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've only purchased three amps in my life: my old Peavey Basic 50, my Peavey Blazer, and the AD30VT. I love the AD30VT. The Basic 50 fit my needs very nicely. The Blazer . . . not so much. I've never been thrilled with any tone I got out of it and then all of the sudden any clean tone would sound slightly overdriven. Very annoying.

So why did I get it then? Well, it was after I brought my Model 7 home after buying it on vacation (yes, this was the summer of spending wisely *cough*). I decided I needed an amp RIGHT AWAY. I was going to get a Marshall 30W SS combo. There was only one store open and the only amp they had worthwhile was the Blazer, so I bought it for more than I should have.

Subsequently I have heard that a speaker replacement will do wonders for those amps. Maybe someday. For now it gathers dust in my basement until I start teaching my son to play.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I had so far good luck with my amps.
    would say that the Line6 Flextone III kinda sucks.

But, what I did was, I perusaded a friend to buy a Crate Blue Voodoo Head, because he was a huge Marty Friedman fan and Marty played that amp at the time. This guy took a small credit at the bank to buy the amp and it sounded so baaaaaaad you won't believe it. He sold it later and still likes me :-)
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think I ever got a bad amp, at least for the money, like my solid state. But I had some bad experiences: a solid state 1x12 solid state Crate amp, Marshall MG (1x12 I think) and a friend's of mine practice amp I can't remember.. terrible!

Post Thanks / Like

My first amp was a borrowed Roland piece of crap from the 80's. It was beat to hell, and getting a good sound out of it required laying on its back with the speaker facing straight up. otherwise the sound could kill you. my next amp after that is the VOX that I still play and love. If I ever upgrade it will be to another VOX.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm I've owned a Crate, Ampeg, Fender, Marshalls, Vox and Peavey. They were all pretty good.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I got a cheapo Fender "Hot" SS amp thrown in with my Strat Plus when I bought it. That sucked out loud....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Danelectro Nifty Fifty.
    Probably good for some folks, but not for me.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Danelectro Nifty Fifty.
    Probably good for some folks, but not for me.
    Heard so many good things about that little creamy box.....
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iago
    I had some bad experiences: a solid state 1x12 solid state Crate amp, Marshall MG (1x12 I think) and a friend's of mine practice amp I can't remember.. terrible!
    The worst amp I ever had was a dinky little solid state Crate from the eighties, it was probably a 1x10, I think.
    Not only did it sound just sound so-so, it only lasted about about 7 or 8 years before giving out.

I had a couple of other 20 year old dinky little SS amps which I just recently sold in a garage sale: a Peavey Rage and a Park G10. They weren't all that bad, but I just didn't need them anymore, and they were taking up space. The person that bought them was happy to get them and now my closet isn't quite so cramped.

I've got a Marshall MG amp and have a real love/hate relationship with it. It sounds great at very low volumes, but in the overdrive mode if you turn most of the knobs past about 2:00 it gets a terribly loud buzz. Like I said it sounds really good turned down low...but playing even at a moderate volume is out of the question with this amp, the noise factor is so ridiculously bad!

I really wanted a low wattage ss Marshall so I recently got a Lead 12 combo off of ebay...these were made in England back in the eighties. Unfortunately its distortion is not as saturated as the MG's but at least it doesn't get that annoying loud buzz when you turn it up. Its a keeper.
    Electrics: Epiphone Les Paul Standard (w/S.D. pups - JB-4/bridge, SH-'59 neck), Fender Fat Strat (Mexican), Squier Fat Tele, Squier '51, Agile Valkyrie III, Ibanez Artcore AF75, Washburn OS OE30 Delta King, Dean Vendetta XM (w/ Dimarzios, D-Sonic/bridge, Air Norton/neck), Silvertone archtop (late 60s/early 70s), Titan EG-1 strat, Gibson G-3 bass, Fullerton strat

Acoustics: Sigma DM-5 (Japanese), Silvertone archtop (early 50s), Yamaha FG-110 (Korean), Alvarez RD20 12 string, Silvertone (60s)

Amps: Alamo Capri (early 60s tube), Alamo Challenger (late 60s tube) Epiphone Valve Jr. Head (w/Peavey 1x10 cab & Realistic 2x6 cab), Fender Yale Reverb, Vox Pathfinder 15R, Marshall Lead 12, Behringer G110 V-Tone, Marshall MG15CD, Vox DA-5, Pignose 7-100, Marshall Bass 12

Post Thanks / Like

Funny thing Guitarist, I think I had that same Crate POS. Now laying in pieces in the garage. I think I will use the cabinet for something though.
    Dave
    "You don't have to act your age to feel it."
    DaveO

Post Thanks / Like

Crate must be the hands down winner so far. I would agree that the worst amp I ever owned was a Crate with the Flexwave distortion. It must have been the late 80's or early 90's when I owned it. The cleans sounded like I was playing through a cardboard box, and the distortion setting was that paper-thin, raspy sound.

Crate really redeemed themselves though with the Palomino amps. Even some of their solid states sound pretty decent now.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

The worst amp I ever had was a Heathkit 120 watt solid state head that I bought many moons ago. At the time, I owned a Strat that was made in January 1966, but didn't have enough sense (or knowledge) to get a good tube amp to go along with it. Solid state was the new "modern" format. Tubes were a thing of the 40's and 50's. I couldn't understand why this state-of-the art, solid state amp sounded so bad compared to the Fender amps some of my friends had ...duh!

Ah, yes... the Grasshopper...had much to learn...

Post Thanks / Like

My worst amp was the Behringer V-Ampire 112 combo I bought about four years ago. It sounded like a toneless amp with a blanket thrown over it. No matter how many hours I sat twiddling knobs, I could not get a decent tone out of it. I returned it within the 30 return policy.
    Guitars: Ibanez SCA220BP, Modded Squier Bullet Strat, Ibanez ARX100CA

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

Videos/messing around with gear:
    http://www.youtube.com/wwwdwhite
    My Music:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=498962

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OK, I know this will be controversial but I'm gonna say my Vox AD50vt. I know Robert, Vood and other can create magic with these amps but they just don't do it for me:

Reasons:
    - Lack of their own distinctive voice
    - Extremely noisy fan system
    - No FX loop (okay I knew this when I bought)
    - Really doesn't like modeling FX in front of it. I really was disappointed with this - with a choice of clean models I thought it would work sweetly with a POD or my Zoom up front (an FX loop may help)
    - Seems like you need to do plenty of DIY (speaker swaps etc.) to get a good tone.

It made me appreciate how good my Fender HR DLx really is. Sorry Vox fans
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    OK, I know this will be controversial but I'm gonna say my Vox AD50vt. I know Robert, Vood and other can create magic with these amps but they just don't do it for me:
    As a Vox user I promise not to take your post negatively. It is curious though as one of the things I love about Vox amps is, what to my ears, is a distinct Vox sound. For example, my Gibson ES-135 straight in with all effects bypassed has a great round tone to it. Then again, hearing is subjective, and no two of us will ever hear the same thing the same way.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's the distinctiveness that Lev mentioned is the reason for his comment. The AD series amps model very well and I enjoyed mine while I had it. I just was looking for a small amp that sounded like....a good small amp...and not like other amps. I traded mine in for the Peavey Classic 30.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev

Reasons:
    - Lack of their own distinctive voice
    - Extremely noisy fan system
    - No FX loop (okay I knew this when I bought)
    - Really doesn't like modeling FX in front of it. I really was disappointed with this - with a choice of clean models I thought it would work sweetly with a POD or my Zoom up front (an FX loop may help)
    - Seems like you need to do plenty of DIY (speaker swaps etc.) to get a good tone.

It made me appreciate how good my Fender HR DLx really is. Sorry Vox fans
    Although it was not my worst amp, I agree that the Vox AD**VT left me scratching my head as well. I could not get a decent medium (forget high) gain tone form either the 50 or 30. I owned both for several weeks until I had to bail on them. The only things I really liked about the AD**VT were the clean Vox settings and the built in attentuator. Everything else for me had an irritating brittle fuzziness mixed into the tone.

As per his posted videos, Robert was able to get some incredible tones out of his VOX AD50VT. This led me to a lot of head scratching and knob twiddling. But the tones I was after were more high gain, which to my ears the Vox did terribly.
    Guitars: Ibanez SCA220BP, Modded Squier Bullet Strat, Ibanez ARX100CA

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

Videos/messing around with gear:
    http://www.youtube.com/wwwdwhite
    My Music:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=498962

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    I think it's the distinctiveness that Lev mentioned is the reason for his comment. The AD series amps model very well and I enjoyed mine while I had it. I just was looking for a small amp that sounded like....a good small amp...and not like other amps. I traded mine in for the Peavey Classic 30.
    Thanks Tone - that's what I was trying to say. My opinion was somewhat coloured also by the fact that I've always used Fender amps and 'my style' if I have such a thing was developed using fender cleans as my base. Then if I need crunch I can use modelling FX and pedals but still always have a distinctive clean to go back to. That's what I miss on the Vox - I have no distinctive starting points to go back to. Don't get me wrong I would never discourage anyone from buying this amp and I do love many Vox products. It just didn't Wow me.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast