Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Do you use batteries or power supply for your pedals? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Do you use batteries with your pedals?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, all the time

4 19.05%
  • No, never

9 42.86%
  • Yes, but only at home, not at gigs

3 14.29%
  • Sometimes

5 23.81%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you use batteries or power supply for your pedals?

Post Thanks / Like

I heard Swede brought back a lot of beer from his trip. We could all meet there and do this blind taste test? And we could try the battery thing too.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Tone, that sounds like a great idea!

DVM, you are right. Take everything with a grain of salt, including me!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    I heard Swede brought back a lot of beer from his trip. We could all meet there and do this blind taste test? And we could try the battery thing too.
    Best idea put forth in this thread! And after a few beers, nobody will care about the battery thing anyway....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see some true double-blind tests done on things like this, SS vs. tube, various caps in tone pots, heavier vs. lighter strings, etc. Thus far I have seen no one attempt this. It would seem to be an awesome experiment for a guitar magazine to do.

One of my other hobbies as you know is beer brewing. I want to train to be a judge. You learn that everybody tastes things slightly differently. Some can pick up certain off-flavors in very trace amounts. Others can't detect it even if it's about to knock over a mule. You have to train your palate to "look" for certain things. When the judging is going on you know nothing other than the style of beer attempted. This is to eliminate as much prejudice as possible. So not only are you trying to educate yourself, you are also trying to remove any preconceived notions you might have.

While I have not studied the matter, I would have to believe that there are similar differences in people's sense of hearing. My questions on these subjects would be: are there any real, perceptible differences in all of these things? If so, how many favor one over another? Are those favorites in keeping with what is generally accepted to be true (e.g. tube amps sound better)? Are certain differences in tone only perceptible by a certain minority of the population? Can professional musicians tell the difference? (How about record producers/mixers? Hard-core music fans? Causal audience members?)

Until such double-blind tests are run, we'll never even begin to know the answer. I've a feeling that some musicians and equipment companies might be afraid of the answers.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have a good source for NOS carbon batteries?
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to say it but in a few of my non modulation pedals I can really tell a difference between AC and DC. However, that doesn't sway me to NOT plug my stuff into a power adapter. The difference doesn't outweigh the convenience.

The main difference for me is touch and response. I can more feel a difference than hear a difference. The feel is more consistent for me if I leave everything plugged in....so I do.

By the way...I'm looking for some new old stock filtered AC adapters with the oil paper wrapped transformers. If anyone has any or know where I can get some then PM me.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that Eric Johnson raised this whole discussion some time ago. This man knows a lot about sound and I believe that he has the most educated ears in music biz. Listen to his album Venus Isle, it took him 7 years to get that sound!

Here's some interesting stuff Eric said - can't believe that with the Fuzz Face screw.....hell yeah:

Eric Johnson started it all with the talk about batteries having an effect on the tone and so on...
    Now everybody is careful about what batteries to use on vintage pedals, here are some more tips and rumors from EJ tone bag:

-Pre-amp tubes for Marshall and other three pre-amp tube amps (Bassman..): First Yugoslavian EI 7025 then 2 Chinese 12ax7's (neither is made anymore).
    -Cables don´t sound the same both ways!!! Take your guitar chord and plug it into your amp and listen to it with your guitar's volume all the way up (doesn't matter what the amp volume is, but it should be to where it is clear), then take the chord, plug the end that was in your guitar into your amp and vice/versa and you will notice the VERY ANNOYING FACT THAT IT DOESN'T SOUND THE SAME!!!!! I wish they'd never told me that..... (thanks Rick)
    -Fuzz Face: If you take the bottom screw out from the Fuzz Face you get a better tone, EJ had the bottom of his Fuzz Face tied with rubber-bands on ALC summer tour!! (now it´s also on Guitar Player but you read it here first .)
    Last edited by Jimi75; June 27th, 2007 at 08:21 AM.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man, I've using my cables the wrong direction all these years!

No wonder I have always had bad tone...
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert

Hey Rob, I bet that everybody who's reading this tries the cable thing at home!

Ya know what I'm gonna do when I come home..........it's turning cable time!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    -Pre-amp tubes for Marshall and other three pre-amp tube amps (Bassman..): First Yugoslavian EI 7025 then 2 Chinese 12ax7's (neither is made anymore).
    -Cables don´t sound the same both ways!!! Take your guitar chord and plug it into your amp and listen to it with your guitar's volume all the way up (doesn't matter what the amp volume is, but it should be to where it is clear), then take the chord, plug the end that was in your guitar into your amp and vice/versa and you will notice the VERY ANNOYING FACT THAT IT DOESN'T SOUND THE SAME!!!!! I wish they'd never told me that..... (thanks Rick)
    -Fuzz Face: If you take the bottom screw out from the Fuzz Face you get a better tone, EJ had the bottom of his Fuzz Face tied with rubber-bands on ALC summer tour!! (now it´s also on Guitar Player but you read it here first .)
    Hehhehe I think you got that from the Custom-Sounds website! I read it before... anyway, first time I heard him I thought "that's a really different tone" (and playing) but I highly doubt anyone else but him would hear a difference on his tone with the cable turned the other way. Same stuff about the fuzz-face bottom screw..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert

My tone gotta improve...my cables come with arrows so I can't put them backwards!!
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; October 11th, 2008 at 02:50 AM.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Lol... 240 cans baby.
    Ah well, to get back on topic..

I know by experience that a battery that gets low on power changes the sound of a pedal, no problems there. But a full (or near full) battery should output 9v just as an adapter? Perhaps the low-quality batteries that Robert speaks of outputs slightly less or more voltage?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguyin_nc
    My tone gotta improve...my cables come with arrows so I can't put them backwards!!
    Wow, look at the length of that cable... you must be keeping your amp on your lap!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Power Supply!

Rather be safe than sorry! :
    God Wants Spiritual Fruit, Not Religous Nuts!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12