Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Do you use batteries or power supply for your pedals?

View Poll Results: Do you use batteries with your pedals?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, all the time

4 19.05%
  • No, never

9 42.86%
  • Yes, but only at home, not at gigs

3 14.29%
  • Sometimes

5 23.81%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use batteries or power supply for your pedals?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you use batteries or power supply for your pedals?

I have a One-Spot adapter and I really like it. However, I must say I notice the tone is better when using batteries. It can be a pain to gig with though, if some batteries die halfway through the set

If tone is your ultimate quest, try batteries in your pedals if you haven't already!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I always play at home, I keep all my pedals "wall-warted". No need to hassle with batteries.

Robert, I'm curious--in what way(s), specifically, do you find your effects to sound better when run on 9V batteries?
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I find the OD and Distortion pedals sound more smooth with batteries. You get a bit of that sag too with batteries. My Wah sounds better with batteries too, more organic sounding, if that makes sense. With the modulation effects, I notice less differences.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I'll have to try some of my pedals with batteries, just to see if I can hear a difference....

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

What's it been...like maybe a year or more ago that I got into using pedals at all? Since then I've used adapters for them. Before this I used only batteries in the 2 pedals I did have....the Ross compressor and the MXR Micro Amp. I haven't noticed a difference between batteries and adapters Rob but maybe you do because you're using more than one pedal at the same time? I can tell the difference in that respect.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I have a One-Spot adapter and I really like it. However, I must say I notice the tone is better when using batteries. It can be a pain to gig with though, if some batteries die halfway through the set

If tone is your ultimate quest, try batteries in your pedals if you haven't already!

I'm with you...

Absolutly there is a difference in tone in many cases with DC vs AC/DC.. not to mention no chance of the AC/DC cords picking up any stray frequency tangents from lights etc.. I have certainly found batteries to be the quietest way to go.

But my main reason is because it is hassle free and I just always make sure to have fresh batteries in before a gig, they last all night and the next night too.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and another thing - DON'T use alkaline batteries! They don't sound good at all! Use the cheap carbon batteries; Eveready are good ones. This makes a big difference for your tone.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and another thing - DON'T use alkaline batteries! They don't sound good at all! Use the cheap carbon batteries; Eveready are good ones. This makes a big difference for your tone.

Ok Eric thanks.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

batteries always, the non alkaline kind.. I have a stock of them! But mainly because I hate cords all around. They've been lasting a lot.. (I dont use pedals too much.. just and OD and phase 90, and a compressor at home only) same batteries since november!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have batteries in my pedals, but they are alkalines, (Costco pack of Duracells) and usually leave them plugged in to the OneSpot. I hate having to unplug everything all the time when my playing time can be so short at times and off and on. I have not noticed a difference much yet. Will have to try it and see. How long are the non-alkalines lasting you that use them?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Man, call me a skeptic, but I don't know if I'm buying this one quite yet! What is the physical/chemical explanation for this alleged performance difference?? I can understand that a wall wart vs. a battery could possibly make a difference in sound, but one 9V battery (assuming full charge/good quality) vs. another? You're going to have to convince me, Robert! Got any web references to send me to?

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I´m not much of a gambler so I would NEVER gig with batteries
    in my stompboxes. Especially not in crucial effects like OD. The OD
    gets weaker when the battery gets low on juice. I want my sound to be
    consistent and always the same. Hum or not, I want 9 volts of anti-christ/devil-child (AC/DC)
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing about batteries is that they'll start to crap out real fast (modulation pedals like delay, reverb, chorus, flange eat batteries up like candy duh) and if I was gigging now I wouldn't want that to happen. I "gig" in my house and at the neighbor's across the street and I still wouldn't want that to happen. Especially with a multi pedal setup. I'm also not convinced about the difference between alkalines and regular batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey sceptic + see what Analogman says - http://www.tonequest.com/articles/article21.htm (2nd last question)

Here's a "Dying Battery Simulator" article - http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/

I am no engineer as you know, and as always, judge for yourself. The differences are subtle, but I think gain and fuzz pedals sound better with a carbon-zinc battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey sceptic + see what Analogman says - http://www.tonequest.com/articles/article21.htm (2nd last question)

Here's a "Dying Battery Simulator" article - http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/

I am no engineer as you know, and as always, judge for yourself. The differences are subtle, but I think gain and fuzz pedals sound better with a carbon-zinc battery.
    What subtle differences do your ears hear Robert? Esplan.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard there suppose to be a difference, but I use walwarts..onespot etc.. I just can not see unplugging a dozen pedals every nite to save the batteries.. thanks for the tip though..will have to see what the difference in interference is with batteries replacing the walwarts.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    What subtle differences do your ears hear Robert? Esplan.
    Hard to explain in writing what the ears hear... why don't you take your ZYS and try with an Eveready batter and a power adapter and see what you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to explain in writing what the ears hear... why don't you take your ZYS and try with an Eveready batter and a power adapter and see what you think?
    Will Panasonic carbon zincs work? Which brand would be better? Now I'm totally cornfused. LMAO j/k

I think I will try that experiment out. So I'll need what...an alkaline battery and a carbon zinc right? Or is it a war between just the battery and the adapter? The ideal way to do that would be to have 2 Zonkin's side by side with the different batteries in them if you did alkaline vs. carbon zinc. By the time I go to change the batteries out I've bent over to take it out and blood rushed to my head and my ears pop and get stuffed up...then I change the battery out and by THAT time I've forgotten what the pedal sounded like before I change the battery out and.....

Ok so carbon zinc vs. AC adapter then. I'll see what I can do and I challenge Voodoo, Swede and anyone else to do the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I'll have to check out the battery effect for myself in my OD & fuzz pedals. Still smacks of mumbo-jumbo, but I suppose anything's possible. I just like to understand the scientific reason behind a perceived difference.

Now, the dying battery thing I have no problem believing. The physical effect there is clear--dropping voltage level--and it's easy to understand that that is going to affect a pedal's tonal output.

Between us girls, I have to take much of what "AnalogMan" says with a grain of salt. Without a doubt, he is an extremely knowledgeable, experienced guy, and has forgotten more than I'll ever know about pedals. But keep in mind that the guy, in addition to being a master techie, is also a salesman--he has made big business out of pedal modding. When you read comments like one pedal having more "mojo" than another, or making a TS sound "brown" because he used a couple of old carbon composite resistors instead of newer (and far superior, from the standpoint of consistency and low noise characteristics) metal film resistors--well, that stuff just smacks of snake-oil salesmanship to me!

The only way to know if this stuff really makes a difference is to do "blind" testing. The hearer shouldn't know what he's listening to, because the mind will play tricks on him. You begin to hear what you think you're supposed to hear. This is just the nature of the human mind. Unfortunately, setting up such a blind comparison test is complicated and takes a couple of people to do it, so most of us don't have the luxury of running one of these tests at home....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast