Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My first backing track - blues in E

Thread: My first backing track - blues in E

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My first backing track - blues in E

I finally got around to play with Cubase tonight. This is a short blues in E. Using Groove Agent for drums; one guitar is playing the "chunka-chunka" shuffle thing, the other guitar is playing chords.

I used the Vox AD50VT and a SM-57. Using Boutique clean for the "chunka-chunka" part, and AC 15 for the chords.

Honest feedback wanted! How is the mix? I mixed it in head phones.

http://www.box.net/shared/o4aumayvqn
    Last edited by Robert; March 19th, 2010 at 07:29 AM.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Honest as always: It sounded very good. A bit muddy bass and crisp top, almost like a old blues record.

I also mix in headphones, mostly because my speakers color the sound too much.

The end of the song was very unexpected
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede

The end of the song was very unexpected
    Well I got bored and cut the thing short. It was just a test to see if I could get the software to work, but I think it'll work as a practice blues. I can make it longer if need be.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Was pretty neat to me... The drum beat at the beginning was kinda in your face loud leading to the song..and the ending was pretty abrupt.. Drums got a pretty good thump to them.. your playing blends well into them.. Suggest a fade into the beat at the beginning and add a fade out at the end... other then that...its a renman special.. well worth the play time...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't figured out yet how to get the drums to have a count-in, sorry! I also haven't learned yet how to do the fade at the end, but as I said, it was just a test to see if I could get something recorded. It's a start!

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

Dang man! You should record an instrumental CD. That really sounded good. I envy you guys who are recording your talents.

Three questions please. What settings did you use for the Boutique and AC 15 amp modelers? How did you record the music into the computer? Is Groove Agent software for drums?

All you experienced and skilful players are really sparking a desire in me and I am becoming obsessive in increasing my playing skills. I am on the verge of pushing ahead my retirement, just to spend more time on the guitar. I might just have to go see a shrink to learn how to control this addiction. Boy am I a late bloomer for the ax. Where were you guys 30 years ago? Never mind. I must learn to overcome my worries and become one with my guitar. I must be in harmony with my guitar. Grasshopper you are a guitar. Remember wax on …. wax off.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey tim... I know the feeling on the retirement deal... I could have been retired 3 years ago.. but trying to make another year.. This Guitar stuff and the need and want to learn has me feeling the same..just push it up and woodshed a few years... Least we have something to piddle with in our OLD age huh...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey robert .. set yourself up with a click track 1st , i think cubase has the option of embeding a click track ( a metronome that clicks the beats for you )then use that to count in your drums and everything should be in sync ..I hate learning new software , i tend to race ahead use the gear and figure it out as i go , then i do the man thing and read the manual later .. but hey it sounds good man nice groove and a good solid recording , nice job ..get that cubase figured out then you can tell us all how to use it..6S9L

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, when I use the amp, I just turn the knobs until I think it sounds good. I don't know exactly what settings I used.

Groove Agent is really cool. It's a drum program that integrates with Cubase as a VST plugin. It makes it easy to get drum tracks down.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert – You’re a tough cookie to keep up with. Can you maybe try to remember those settings in the future? I’m still searchin’.

Warren - Looks like we must get together and help each other to learn this recording stuff.

Can someone please take this needle out of my vein????
    Guitars:

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, maybe you are using a humbucker guitar with higher output pickups?

Post Thanks / Like

YES I am!! How did you know? I have been turning dials for sometime now. I know humbuckers produce a higher (hotter) output. I am not sure where I should be adjusting for the hotter signal. Do I turn down the volume, gain, master, or the variable on the back. Do I also need to tweak the EQ?
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like

Try keeping the gain lower, and maybe the volume too. You can try turning the knob at the back way up to get more overall volume. Then you get cleaner sounds. EQ can stay around 12 o'clock somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Warren - Looks like we must get together and help each other to learn this recording stuff.
    absolutely...and then figure out how to play well enough to want to record!

ww

Post Thanks / Like

the drums at the beginning remind me of a certain bob dylan number...
    Guitars: Fender Telecaster MIJ :: Fender Stratocaster MIJ :: Gibson SG Special Faded :: Washburn Acoustic D10 :: Martin Arts & Craft :: Little Martin Acoustic LXK2 :: Musicman Stingray Bass
    Amps: VOX ad50vt
    Pedals: BOSS digital delay :: BOSS DS1 :: MXR overdrive :: CryBaby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

That's one way I tell me the link broken... ok I fixed it.

http://www.box.net/shared/o4aumayvqn

Post Thanks / Like

I thought you'd appreciate that. :-D

Thanks!
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.