Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Bought an old Univox Hi-Flyer bass!

Thread: Bought an old Univox Hi-Flyer bass!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Bought an old Univox Hi-Flyer bass!

Pretty nice old thing, apparently was built around 1974 (still researching the serial number). Was incredibly badly setup...I basically dissassembled the whole thing, adjusted the neck, polished frets, intonation, etc...Now it plays very, very nice! Came with nice flatwound strings. THe thing is pretty light (I think these are made of poplar), and the maple neck has a pronounced D-profile, never had a neck like this and it feels nice to have so much "shoulder" on the edges of the neck. Tuners work nicely, surprisingly so. Pickups are two huge single-coil thingies that sound nice, kinda unique.

Here's a quick clip testing bridge, neck, and both pickups, with tone and volume on 10.

http://cyberjamarchive.com/uploads/M...flyer_test.mp3

And some pics:

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! It's got a 60s sort of vibe to it.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey, way cool! Put it in your AMC Pacer and head to the gig!

P.S. I mean this in a good way, just cause I think it picks up that 70s design vibe.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

/\ yeah, I agree, very vintage, like a rick 4001 mixed with a fender jazz mixed with a gibson EB-0. Pretty sweet!!
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey, I just listened to your clip that I missed earlier. Way, way cool! Total 60s-70s vibe to the sound too.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice!
    That looks like a keeper. A very nice slice of Japanese guitar history.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

pes_laul Guest

wow i dint know they made those anymore my dad has a old early 60s univox i dont know what model it is but it looks like a 335

Post Thanks / Like

Ah... my friend uses one of these almost exclusively in her band. Always sounds good, looks great on stage, feels reasonably well made. Definitely a cool bass. And the reason it has a "60s" vibe is because the univox hi-flyers are patterned after Mosrites (think: Ventures, later the Ramones). Eastwood makes a modern copy of this bass as well. Good find there Kerc!