Thread: would this work?

Post Thanks / Like

Default would this work?

I am thinking of going to graph tech saddles on my tune-o-matic....and was tinkering with the idea of wraping the strings around the stop tail...would it be possible to put a wrap around bridge piece where the stop tail goes and still use the tune-o-matic?....I really don't like the idea of the string being able to wobble on a stop tail with no way of holding them still...I know you get better sustain the guitar feels a lot more slinky for bends and soloing when you wrap the strings around the bridge, but would I be hurting more than helping by putting a true wrap around with the t-o-matic? I already have a LSR roller nut on my LP and now I want graph tech saddles-like my strat setup cause I don't break strings on the strat - cause they also open up the midrange and help with sustain.....

Thoughts, suggestions, Flames?......

Josh.
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you have a roller nut on a Les Paul? Does it have a tremolo?

The only reason I would recommend wrapping is if your tail piece is set up too high and you can't lower it. Otherwise, screw the posts on the stop tail piece down low and you shouldn't have any problems unless you are breaking strings. In which case I would then install Graphtec saddles.

Changing the stop tail piece height will also affect tone and sustain.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Why do you have a roller nut on a Les Paul? Does it have a tremolo?

Changing the stop tail piece height will also affect tone and sustain.
    I do a lot of overbends so I install them on all guitars I have........Ive only broken one string on my paul and it was on an old set.....I have herd that you get a slinkier feel if you wrap the strings around the stop tail piece.
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.