Thread: 4 y.o. Hotrod Deluxe w/issues

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 y.o. Hotrod Deluxe w/issues

My buddy has a 4 year old Hotrod Deluxe that he bought used, never had serviced, and is now having minor issues. Hes got a gig next month and wants to know what he should do. He says while playing at a medium level that the sound will spike. I suggested he have it serviced before his gig approaches...and from what Ive gathered he should replace the caps and tubes and then have it biased...but I dont REALLY know, so if anybody has any suggestions I will be sure to pass it on(forward the link).

Post Thanks / Like

Tubes first. Those are the first things that wear out.

The second thing to check is the input jack. The have it mounted to a PCB and the solder cracks real easy from strain incurred by the guitar cable. That might also intermittently increase the signal, but most likely it's just tubes.

Start there with a fresh bias and check: http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Tubes first. Those are the first things that wear out.

The second thing to check is the input jack. The have it mounted to a PCB and the solder cracks real easy from strain incurred by the guitar cable. That might also intermittently increase the signal, but most likely it's just tubes.

Start there with a fresh bias and check: http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/

I own a Deville.. and

Kudos.. exactly what I would of said.. right down to the soldered on jack directly to the board..

But tubes first.. absolutly.. it's 4 yrs old even.. likely 4 yr old tubes..

Post Thanks / Like

How much do you recon this service would cost at a decent shop?

Post Thanks / Like

Just a bias should be around $30, but call around and see what the rates are around you.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Just a bias should be around $30, but call around and see what the rates are around you.
    They marketed the HRD series as 'self biasing'..

In THEORY.. if one uses closely matched tubes, even of a different output than the ones they replaced, it is supposed to take care of it's self..

I have never had mine biased... but then again, I hardly ever do even with the twins..

Certainly there is a way to get it biased correctly.. but they CLAIM self biasing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 333maxwell
    Certainly there is a way to get it biased correctly.. but they CLAIM self biasing.
    When researching this for him months ago I had found this: Video on biasing Hotrod Deville/Deluxe