Thread: Next big amp purchase in a year...planning now.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Next big amp purchase in a year...planning now.

Bad cat.....or Mesa Boogie Roadster combo OR.....Chicago Blues Box?

I played both the Bad cat combo and the Roadster but I really cant get a hold of a CBB....their custom ordered....

Its either that or buy a kit and build them.......I do mainly Junkyard style Blues and rock.....

if you want to hear my setup..... www.myspace.com/secondchanceateden
    Its with the full band and my level is a little off (stupid me and a mixer mishap) but I was using two mics....one on the 15" speaker and one on the Celestion super 8 as well.

My current rig is a Peavey Delta blues 1x15 with 2x8 closed back ext. cab loaded with celestion super 8's.....a zack wylde wah...Digi Delay and a BBE Green screamer.........It sounds great for what it is. Its not really lacking anything I want tone wise. I just need an excuse to get another amp and I do know thats a crappy excuse to drop a few stacks but hey, we all have our vices and gear is mine....along with pixie sticks.
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

Just my opinion if you have the desire and aptitude building an amp is the shizzle! First off you get a savings$$ because your building it, you can go with top notch components where applicable and it is very rewarding. You will also own an amp you know inside and out that you can work on and tune it to what YOU want not the factory.

I have my old 60's Fender that I have refurbed and tuned up which are a joy to play. Then I have a DeLuxe 5E3 and a Dumble ODS clone that I have built and they are without a doubt spectacular amps. The 5E3 can run 6k6's for 7 watts low power situations or 6V6 for 15 watts and the ODS runs two 6V6's or 6L6's for 22 or 35 watts respectively. It really is a great thing to crank on a box you built! Heres a link to my album of builds if you wanna look around.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ite/?start=all
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie