Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newest song from my peanut gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newest song from my peanut gallery

Ok.. be gentle..

It's my first experiment using the 'mixer' (novel idea.. I know)

Until now I have invidiualy recorded wavs, then mixed them together and the biggest controls I have had is being able to increase or decrease each tracks db level by 3 db's.

Well, turns out this way is a lot more efficient, not that the end results are noticibly much different..

Thanks for the ear..

The song is 'To You'

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=676362

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it is safe to assume, that from the amount of listens, and not one reply, that the song sucks..

Thats the problem I find.. one gets so involved with a song, they themselves become tone deaf to it..

Well, back to the ol drawing board.. thanks to those who did give it a listen, and were kind enough not to thrash me over it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think that at all. I rather like it, esp. the base instrumentals. I just hadn't got to listening to it til now. The vocals are a bit echoey for my taste, and the lead solo a little too. Made the solo sound a little distant. The song is nice though. Please take that as it was intended, helpful comments from one who can't do what you did yet.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty neat actually...would agree with the to much echo on the voice... but in a way... it reminds me of "The Beatles"... enjoyed the lead riff at the beginning too.. and then the build at around 2:00... thought it all was pretty good..

Heck, I would be happy to do half as good..!

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I don't think that at all. I rather like it, esp. the base instrumentals. I just hadn't got to listening to it til now. The vocals are a bit echoey for my taste, and the lead solo a little too. Made the solo sound a little distant. The song is nice though. Please take that as it was intended, helpful comments from one who can't do what you did yet.
    Thanks for taking the time to feedback!

Likely what you here is not reverb (aside from teh doubling on the vocals) but a strange anomaly I get when I convert wav to mp3 and then upload them to soundclick.. if you listen to a few of my other songs like Junkyard Blues or After Hours, they all have this strange swishing swirling ambinet thing I can't get rid of..

Perplexing and frustrating..

thanks again!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguyin_nc
    Pretty neat actually...would agree with the to much echo on the voice... but in a way... it reminds me of "The Beatles"... enjoyed the lead riff at the beginning too.. and then the build at around 2:00... thought it all was pretty good..

Heck, I would be happy to do half as good..!
    You are very kind, thanks..

I was just going in to take it down.. guess I will leave it on a bit longer and see if it passes the mustre.. after hearing them so many times I never know if they suck or not.

thanks for your time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 333maxwell
    Thanks for taking the time to feedback!

Likely what you here is not reverb (aside from teh doubling on the vocals) but a strange anomaly I get when I convert wav to mp3 and then upload them to soundclick.. if you listen to a few of my other songs like Junkyard Blues or After Hours, they all have this strange swishing swirling ambinet thing I can't get rid of..

Perplexing and frustrating..

thanks again!!
    Oh ok, I get it on the swishing. I listened to Junkyard also to compare and noticed a little of the same thing. I think I would turn down the doubling on the vocal just a bit as well. But I agree with Justa, I was reminded of A Beatle: John.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Oh ok, I get it on the swishing. I listened to Junkyard also to compare and noticed a little of the same thing. I think I would turn down the doubling on the vocal just a bit as well. But I agree with Justa, I was reminded of A Beatle: John.
    No shame in Beatles comparisons..

Heck...

They once had me outnumbered 4 to 1.. now it is down to 2 to 1..

Not that I wish anything bad on Ringo!!

Thanks for the ear.. I do enjoy the feedback so!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the support everyone who listened.. as a result the song went to #7 in the pop category, which is a tough one to climb up in..

All downhill from here, but thanks to those who took the time to have a listen!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job on the track! I also hear some Lennon influence. What is involved in doing "VST horns"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pickngrin
    Nice job on the track! I also hear some Lennon influence. What is involved in doing "VST horns"?

VST horns means I used a VST host program, to use a VST program that allows me to transfer midi files that I create, into 'samples' or 'patches' of various 'soft synth' (Software synthesizers).

There are FREEE VST host programs (The program that lets you utilize the 'stuff') available on the net, and there are a million samples to be found all over the net, or you could create your own samples and trigger them..

____

In My case for Spy music, VST Horns means I used a 'sampler' device to trigger 'single horn hits' ..

Much like a SOUND FONT?? If you are familiar with soundfonts, then you get VST instruments..

Post Thanks / Like

VST horns means I used a VST host program, to use a VST program that allows me to transfer midi files that I create, into 'samples' or 'patches' of various 'soft synth' (Software synthesizers).

There are FREEE VST host programs (The program that lets you utilize the 'stuff') available on the net, and there are a million samples to be found all over the net, or you could create your own samples and trigger them..

In My case for Spy music, VST Horns means I used a 'sampler' device to trigger 'single horn hits' ..

Much like a SOUND FONT?? If you are familiar with soundfonts, then you get VST instruments..

I'm not familiar with sound fonts (other than having heard the term before). I had heard of VSTs before, but didn't really know what they were. Impressive that you incorporated those but are new to using a mixer...
    thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pickngrin
    I'm not familiar with sound fonts (other than having heard the term before). I had heard of VSTs before, but didn't really know what they were. Impressive that you incorporated those but are new to using a mixer...
    thanks for the info
    "Impressive that you incorporated those but are new to using a mixer..."

Well.. not really.. counter impressive actualy *G*..

I had been 'mixing' per sey, but only by taking each individual track, making them wav, and then 'incorporating' them..

It served my purpose well enough until revently when I have tried to do a bit more.. hence the virtual 'mixer'..

No stranger to real HARDWARE mixers, but I have never used a 'software' one before.. and my machine resources are bad enough that I can't do any actual 'real time' fading of volume increases (I have to DRAW) them instead.. because the knobs move, but the sound doesn't represent those movements until I play back.. in other words I have no clue how much I turn something down or up until I play it back.

As for VST, well I had no clue they even existed until a few months ago..

It is MORE than just 'instruments' it is also FX and room simulotors etc.. pretty exciting stuff.. I can't believe they were right in front of me all the time, and I had no clue about them.

Being a bit of a keyboard player I had used 'Fonts' for several years.. but VST is a WHOLE other world..

Like I say (and when I get more time if you are interested I can get you links).. one can get a FREE host (vst program) off the net, and there are literally THOUSANDS of free FX and Instruments and samplers available all over the web.. they are not of the 'quality' of the 'real thing'.. but for free they are DELIGHTFUL for the budget hobbiest.. they could be the last free, fun and useful frontier on the net left standing..

All one needs is a Midi Keyboard (I use a childs toy I got at Wallmart) .. it will have midi in and out on the back.. then one needs a midi to USB (or com port) cord.. available at most any music store..

With the keyboard and the cord and the free VST stuff, a guy could be composing small symphonys if he had the time and inclination..

As I get time I will come up with some links for you.. you sound curious, and if you are like me you will be AMAZED you had no clue about them, and a mini expert a few days later.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

"Impressive that you incorporated those but are new to using a mixer..."

Well.. not really.. counter impressive actualy *G*..

I had been 'mixing' per sey, but only by taking each individual track, making them wav, and then 'incorporating' them..

It served my purpose well enough until revently when I have tried to do a bit more.. hence the virtual 'mixer'..

No stranger to real HARDWARE mixers, but I have never used a 'software' one before.. and my machine resources are bad enough that I can't do any actual 'real time' fading of volume increases (I have to DRAW) them instead.. because the knobs move, but the sound doesn't represent those movements until I play back.. in other words I have no clue how much I turn something down or up until I play it back.

As for VST, well I had no clue they even existed until a few months ago..

It is MORE than just 'instruments' it is also FX and room simulotors etc.. pretty exciting stuff.. I can't believe they were right in front of me all the time, and I had no clue about them.

Being a bit of a keyboard player I had used 'Fonts' for several years.. but VST is a WHOLE other world..

Like I say (and when I get more time if you are interested I can get you links).. one can get a FREE host (vst program) off the net, and there are literally THOUSANDS of free FX and Instruments and samplers available all over the web.. they are not of the 'quality' of the 'real thing'.. but for free they are DELIGHTFUL for the budget hobbiest.. they could be the last free, fun and useful frontier on the net left standing..

All one needs is a Midi Keyboard (I use a childs toy I got at Wallmart) .. it will have midi in and out on the back.. then one needs a midi to USB (or com port) cord.. available at most any music store..

With the keyboard and the cord and the free VST stuff, a guy could be composing small symphonys if he had the time and inclination..

As I get time I will come up with some links for you.. you sound curious, and if you are like me you will be AMAZED you had no clue about them, and a mini expert a few days later.

Cheers!
    Very cool, thanks so much for the information...
    I don't have a MIDI controller or keyboard, nor do I play keyboard, but I'd like to be able to mess around with some of the synthesized instruments. I could keep my eyes open for a cheap keyboard.

Post Thanks / Like

Its a great song and I wish I could sing half as good as that...on the swirling it could be a soundcard issue especially with the latency issue, what sound card do you have?
    Cannuck on a mission
    Guitars: Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Roadstar 2, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Gibson Flying V, Yamaha 12 string, some beat up old classical
    Amps: 1969 Fender Twin Reverb, 2002 Line 6 Flextone 2
    Effects: Digitech GNX4, Boss ME30, and a whack of pedals

http://www.myspace.com/zeussethegod

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeusse
    Its a great song and I wish I could sing half as good as that...on the swirling it could be a soundcard issue especially with the latency issue, what sound card do you have?
    thanks for the response..

As for soundcards, don't laugh..

I use one of these http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ace?sku=702540 into my laptop.

The 'swirling' that seems to dominate all my MP3's DO NOT exist on the mixed 'wav' I 'convert to MP3.. once I convert it to MP3 (I have tried converting them using 3 different programs, Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, Magix 11 and Sony Music studio..

Both Magix and Sony make a much larger MP3 file size than cakewalk, yet cakewalks sound just a tad less swirly.

then when I upload them to Soundclick,t he swirly sounds like it met a flushing toilet.

It is really frustrating me because the first few songs I did didn't have this issue.. and using the same exact gear and methods, it just seems to be getting worse.

If you have any ideas or suggestions I would be DELIGHTED for any feedback from you or anyone else who has experienced this kind of anomaly.

It's kind of a drag.. I spend enough time trying to get them right,.. and while I am green I know enough to get a decent enough mix.. and then people just assume I dropped the ball and put a toilet flusing sound on top of everything with intent..

On some songs like "after Hours' It makes the vocals almost hurt, and the sibilance is horrible, where as on the wav there WAS NONE.

ACK!

Any ideas would be much appreciated.. I am real new to this home recording on a PC stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

you may want to upgrade your soundcard it makes all the difference in the world I use this one http://www.soundblaster.com/products...&product=14065 since getting this baby all my swirling issues went away the usb interface I can't see as the issue it just relays signal but the soundcard does the processing so I'd look at that issue. When you compress the wav. file to mp3 format especially around 160 or higher a lower grade soundcard will have latency issues....just my 1.5cents worth...LOL
    Cannuck on a mission
    Guitars: Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Roadstar 2, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Gibson Flying V, Yamaha 12 string, some beat up old classical

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeusse
    you may want to upgrade your soundcard it makes all the difference in the world I use this one http://www.soundblaster.com/products...&product=14065 since getting this baby all my swirling issues went away the usb interface I can't see as the issue it just relays signal but the soundcard does the processing so I'd look at that issue. When you compress the wav. file to mp3 format especially around 160 or higher a lower grade soundcard will have latency issues....just my 1.5cents worth...LOL

Did you have 'swirling' issues too????????????????

As for the soundblaster youo linked to, again I am on the go with a portable laptop..

And while I thought I could convert to MP3 even with the soundcard unplugged.. you may just be on to something, as I STARTED HAVING THE PROBLEM when I quit using the stock laptop soundcard, and got the USB one..

On the other side, the USB card got rid of all the clicks and pops and severe latency issues I was having with the 'recording' end..

Dang man.. I am gonna try mixing the MP3 with the stadanrd laptop card I was using when I wasn't having this problem..

You could very well be on to the right direction..

I'll try some this afternoon and get back with you and tell you how it works out for me.. if it seems to make a difference I suppose I could transport the song to my wifes Tower as she has a very nice one, and then burn MP3 from there..

Crossing the fingers.. if it works you will be the first to know..

Thanks bud!

Post Thanks / Like

Your welcome even when using recording and mixing software a substandard soundcard can kill a recording I'll have to look and see if I can find an old post somewhere around the net when I had my old soundcard and then the difference with this one its like night and day...cheers

Eric
    Cannuck on a mission

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast