Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Some kids are cool

Thread: Some kids are cool

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some kids are cool

I have been married for the first time for just two years now. My wife's daughter is almost 9, and this weekend was her first wild camping trip and mountain climb. She made it all the way to the top of this big mountain and had to traverse a very long ridge to get to the 10,750 foot summit. She did it and had energy to spare. She loved it and had a ball. She is now hooked on boulder walking. She's cool!

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey great Steve! We were out there too. Boating at Redfish, and my 9 year old was out on a hike with some other friends. He made it up to over 9000 above Goat Lake. I had to play with my "student band" on Saturday so missed the hike and stayed down at "base camp" at Redfish to help my wife with my younger two and the boat. I really wanted to be three places at once this weekend! Glad your hike/scramble went well. Idaho kids are cool!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Way cool!

I climbed Mt Whitney with my family when I was 10 or so. We also used to take SERIOUS two-week backpacking trips.

No dawdling at the beautiful mountain lake, too many miles to go, & passes to traverse before bed.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Spud, this sounds like she's a really cool little lady!
    Yeah, it's definitley cool when kids give you something and show you that they appreciate what you give them. I love it when my kids enjoy the family trips.

By the way, the pictures are beautiful.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

You make a nice role model there Steve. Those pictures look awesome. That sure is beautiful country out there. She will have fine memories when she grows older. Has she picked up the guitar after you also? Now, who took the picture of the three of you?
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    You make a nice role model there Steve. Those pictures look awesome. That sure is beautiful country out there. She will have fine memories when she grows older. Has she picked up the guitar after you also? Now, who took the picture of the three of you?
    Thanks. I try to be a good role model but it's hard to keep the serious rock-n-roll out of it.

She was walking with her mom a lot and kept saying how much she was enjoying it. However, she is a little hard to wake up this morning.

She does have her own acoustic guitar and Casio keyboard with lighted keys which she plays with a lot. She also has access to one of my electrics but she hasn't asked me to show her any licks yet.

The threesome photo is done on the timer.

Post Thanks / Like

Most excellent Spud... Great shots!
    that's what life is all about!

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Man....reminds me of the time I spent with my father at the grand canyon...awesome stuff. My absolute fav. thing about being on a lone peak or on the edge of the mountain range is being able to see the curvature of the earth...makes you realize how small our little planet really is in the grand scheme of things. Good pics.
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice pictures Steve! I wish that I were doing more stuff like that with my kids. You sure is MY role model
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Good pics Steve, thanks for posting them!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pix enjoy it, before ya know it they're grown up and heading out. Beautiful countryside great for the whole family!

Please clarify boulder walking, are you hiking on a narrow rock ridgeline? No ropes and pins stuff like that though? You might notice I am not any type of "rock climber".
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Mark

Boulder walking is when you have to get from point A to point B and in between is just a huge mess of broken boulders. Every step counts. It requires balance, focus, and persistence because there are just so many of them. Your mind kind of goes into a different state and all that exists is just you and the rocks your breath, the sky and the breeze. It becomes a Zen moment.

For a kid it is a great exercise in many different skills...and it's kind of addictive.

Post Thanks / Like

just remember, they love you NOW, in a few years they'll be screaming I HATE YOU!!!, and that, is when you know you are a truly good parent.

no JK, but they may say that someday!
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

I'm expecting that. That's why I keep a full roll of duct tape around the house and a taser.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Heck, I received a good dose of passive resistance from my oldest (9) last night when he did not want to finish a chore all the way and start getting ready for bed. Some heavy sighs, but no yelling yet. Yikes! I am training myself to be as consistent as I can be, and to not react unduly.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Heck, I received a good dose of passive resistance from my oldest (9) last night when he did not want to finish a chore all the way and start getting ready for bed. Some heavy sighs, but no yelling yet. Yikes! I am training myself to be as consistent as I can be, and to not react unduly.
    Duct tape them securely and hang them from a tree for an hour. Worked wonders on me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Duct tape them securely and hang them from a tree for an hour. Worked wonders on me.
    hahahaha, wow you guys are hilarious!

I love this forum!
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Should that be upside down? I fear that my trees are to weak for a 8 year old, do you think that the flag pole could be sufficient?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Should that be upside down? I fear that my trees are to weak for a 8 year old, do you think that the flag pole could be sufficient?
    Anything that they can't get down from themselves. It will help them understand that they have a reliance on YOU, and that if they want to end their misery they will have to be nice.

Either direction works, but upside down gets the point across the fastest.