Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New VG Strat

Post Thanks / Like

Default New VG Strat

Does anyone have experience with the new virtual Strat, which does tonnes of modeled tones and tunings? Reviews in GP are pretty good. Anyone checked one out? (I know, it's high treason to talk about modeling our tone, but what the heck ...)
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

It's apparently good 'nuff for Andy Summers...

From the reviews I've read, Line 6 still has an edge in this market, and at a more affordable price point, but if you're in the market for a strat-plus, it may fit the bill.

It's still a niche market. Heck, Steinberger Transcale guitars have received glowing reviews, but I've yet to see anyone playing one.

But what do I know. Getting back to your question, no I haven't checked them out yet I only know what I've read to date. Probably not my cuppa tea, but you never know when GAS will hit.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I played one just unplugged, and I loved the feel of it. Like a real quality strat. I bet it would be a fun guitar to have! I want one! But can't afford one right now...
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

i played around with one for a half hour or so at my buddy's music shop....pretty impressive!

Could see where it would be a great tool for a working musician. I especially liked the 12 string mode and some of the alternate tunings, The best thing is that if the batteries die you still have a regular strat to play without the virtual effects!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

This may get you some more info on the VG Strat.
    I've watched one of the Fender Frontline videos of Greg Koch and on one of them, I'm not sure which, he demonstrates the guitar very well. It may be this one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akJJ8cajMQQ

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I played one just unplugged, and I loved the feel of it. Like a real quality strat. I bet it would be a fun guitar to have! I want one! But can't afford one right now...
    You need to concentrate on that Suhr savings account Robert
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

It is a very cool guitar though! See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA442Cqzaxk

It is very appealing to be able to go to open tunings, great for slide work!

I'd love to get one - seems like a great purchase. You get a great American Strat with all these cool sounds. I'd pick that anytime before a Line 6 ugly-azz guitar.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVgg9VlKfz8

more of the same.. this one is nice too!

Post Thanks / Like

mmm--yep, most of this is what I've heard, too. I can't afford another GAS attack right now, but am mightily tempted, though I haven't played one yet. The idea of having an axe that could go from standard to open G and D for slide is pretty cool. I may be sniffing around Long &McQuade on this and will report back.
    GAS, bet behind me, please.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool guitar however a few things to think about...

I was checking them out at my local store. It's really just an American Strat with the Roland gear onboard and quite pricey too boot. All the extra money is going most likely (according to my good friend at the store) to Roland for the proprietary hardware.

He indicated that not too many people are buying them because of the cost factor, it's really way overpriced. What he felt would end up happening in the near future is that Fender will realize that it's not selling too well and produce exactly the same hardware on a MIM.

That will drive the price way down and make the guitar more affordable for the those that really want them, so in my eyes if I was eyeballing one of these because they are pretty cool and offer a lot of tonality options, I would wait a little while and see if Fender indeed does offer this on a MIM.

My .02 Cents...

:-)

Post Thanks / Like

I was considering a modeling guitar for a while and thought about this one. I've tried both the Line6 guitars and this VG Strat. They each have their pro/con.

The VG Strat is a better-made guitar and more familiar feel which is nice. However I think that they made a couple of key design decisions on this guitar that make it a no-go for me. The biggest issue is that there is no battery eliminator. This means that you will need to put fresh batteries in for nearly every gig. The batteries last 10 hours according to their specs, but this would be a big pain to have that to worry about at every gig. However, the sounds and features of the guitar work great. I especially like the re-tunning features. I would use that for slide especially. The other knock I have with the guitar is that they didn't model a Les Paul for the humbucking sounds. They modeled a Strat loaded with a Humbucker. This seems kind of lame. They should have modeled a Les Paul and 335 in my opinion.

The Line6 Variax's biggest weakness is the guitar itself. It doesn't feel as high quality as the VG Strat. (But I didn't try the Variax 700 which is supposedly the best one). However, the Variax has some great features that they should have put into the Fender VG Strat, IMO. First, it has a battery eliminator so you don't have to worry about keeping fresh batteries on hand. In addition, they have a separate output on the guitar for acoustic sounds. This allows you to send one output to your amp and the second output to the PA for acoustic sounds (for example). That's a great feature if you plan on going from acoustic to electric tones alot. Lastly the Variax has lots of good Les Paul, 335, and Jazz box models in addition to the Fender tones. I think that VG Strat does a better job of the Fender tones but the Variax sounds fantastic for the Gibson sounds.

In my opinion there is not a perfect modeling guitar yet, but they're getting closer. If Fender would fix a few things then they would have the clear winner. They already build a good guitar, now they need to take a look at what people would use the modeling for and nail it with some usability features. They almost have it.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Good points, Jim! Thanks for comparison. I'd go for the VG I think. I'd just use rechargeable batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeifer
    The other knock I have with the guitar is that they didn't model a Les Paul for the humbucking sounds. They modeled a Strat loaded with a Humbucker. This seems kind of lame. They should have modeled a Les Paul and 335 in my opinion.
    my guess is that gibson would have not stood for that....kinda like how thew vox amps use names that are not the names of the actual amps....

just a guess...it was a fun guitar to play and sounded good....and having a standard strat to play if your batteries die is cool too

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I still want that thing. What a useful guitar! It was a really nice "normal" guitar too!

Must.... Resist....G.A.S. ... At....All....Cost.... (or else my wife will slit my throat)

Post Thanks / Like

Must.... Resist....G.A.S. ... At....All....Cost.... (or else my wife will slit my throat)
    A slit throat you can live with, but if she really knew what to cut then your playing days are over.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you're talking from experience, hope not! And you are still playing...

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you're talking from experience, hope not! And you are still playing...
    I am the king of my castle, er...guitar warehouse. Unfortunately we have decided together that no more guitars are to be bought (ya right). WE want a motorcycle instead.

That VG Strat is going to have to wait for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I am the king of my castle, er...guitar warehouse. Unfortunately we have decided together that no more guitars are to be bought (ya right). WE want a motorcycle instead.

That VG Strat is going to have to wait for me.
    Well then in that case you should consider the greatest bike ever... well I'm pretty happy with mine anyway...and wait until Fender offers that VG strat on a MIM... :-)

The VFR!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I may get rid of some of my cheap guitar to make room for another good one. Maybe a VG Strat, maybe something else. Time and compulsive behaviour will tell!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast