Thread: What makes a Superstar?

Myles Guest

Default What makes a Superstar?

The music scene is constantly flooded with siblings of superstars gaining popularity as well as actors and actresses making the cross over to music. More and more there are concerts where people dance around instead of actually singing and guitar solos that are overshadowed by expensive pyromantic displays.

So what does it take to become a superstar?

1. Connections
    2. Marketing
    3. Physical Appearance
    4. Personality
    5. Talent

Thats the order of importance as far as I am concerned. How would you arrange those 5. Would you add in any other factors?

Does it bother you that this is (atleast my opinion of) the state of affairs in the music industry?

Post Thanks / Like

That list about sums it up completely.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with the list as well. Those of us from the pre-MTV generation can easily see the difference in the music industry today compared to that of the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Real talent has staying power. Many acts disappear once the suits with the cigars have wringed as much $$$ out of the deal as they can. Unfortunately, there are thousands of people with more talent than some of the "stars". Most of these people are on a timecard somewhere and do the "weekend warrior" thing just for the love of it. Right, Robert?
    Last edited by EscalonJon; September 29th, 2005 at 02:05 PM.
    GUITARS: Fender Teles and 50s Strat, Squier Jazz Bass & '51, VooDoo clone, Dillion Tele Thinline, G&L Tribute ASAT, Agile Les Paul clones, Rogue 335, Robelli D'Angelico, Danelectro Hodad 12, Larrivee Koa Parlour, Blueridge 00028, Ibanez Hummingbird, Takamine EC132C, PRS McCarty IRW.

AMPLIFICATION: Carvin Bel Air w/ext cab, Behringer ACX1000, Vox Brian May, Fender Bronco tweed, Rogue 30 Bass, Roland Cube 30, modded Epi Valve Junior w/ Scumback 1x10 cab.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Myles
    So what does it take to become a superstar?

1. Connections
    2. Marketing
    3. Physical Appearance
    4. Personality
    5. Talent
    Now think real hard - how many of these markers do the current crop of superstars have? Ya, I'm thinking Britney, James Blunt, (most rappers). I'll bet it can happen with fewer things going than you think.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Charisma!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A murky personal life that'll keep you on the front page of the tabloids! (adultery, rehab, criminal record, custody battles - no such thing as bad publicity really)
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

To become a superstar I think the initial list is a good summary. However, today you can be a superstar and only last 6 to 12 months. Get a hit or two, show your house on Cribs, and then do a commercial for insurance (life comes at you fast).

My view of a superstar is staying power. A person or group doesn't really have to have a "hit" (Hendrix) to become a superstar, but should be able to be a musical influence and sustain through trends. I consider The Beatles, Stones, U2, Bowie to name a few, as superstars.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

pes_laul Guest

fall out boy is the worst example today. people only like the band because the bass player's appearance. he cant even play bass that good. everything is dubbed up in the recording studio.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    A murky personal life that'll keep you on the front page of the tabloids! (adultery, rehab, criminal record, custody battles - no such thing as bad publicity really)
    Cool. I'm all set for super-stardom. I'm so murky I got catfish in my hair.

Seriously, it is sad that we get subjected to so much of that information. I say please just give me your music and good deeds. Keep your debauchery to yourself like the rest of us superstar regular folks do.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.