Thread: Compression: When To Use Or Not Use

Post Thanks / Like

Default Compression: When To Use Or Not Use

I am trying to figure out “compression”. I understand what it does both with compressing a sound and producing a common volume from easy or hard picked notes or chords. It can also be used to add sustain to a note or chord. I am having a problem understanding when to use it.

Case in point! I was at a practice session last night. I had compression selected on the AD30VT. There was a time when the musicians where asked to play very lightly while and individual was speaking. I was playing some arpeggios over a keyboard player who was playing chord progressions. My guitar volume was way down low and the notes where on the brink of note being heard or breaking up. If I struck the string hard the note was heard. If I lightly picked the string it could not be heard. The hard picking (at that particular time) was too loud.

So the question is: When do you use compression and when do you not use compression?

As always … thanks.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tim, you can use compression to even out the volume so that light picking and hard picking end up being pretty much the same volume. A bit of compression often makes it easier to play with a clean sound. I don't use compression with distortion or overdrive - it's not needed and can sound very artificial.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim,

I agree with Robert. Compression is best used with a clean sound. Creates a smooth even level when picking. On the Vox, compression sounds and reacts cool with a lot of the clean models in that the harder you pick the attack is compressed BUT the gain it produced on the attack still manages to come through sweetly. This is typical of a real tube amp when all the tubes react to picking attack as tubes/valves naturally compress in their own beautiful way. I really gotta hand it to the Vox's "Valve Reactor" in this case. What we mean by "even level" when using compression is that the actual volume output should stay about the same. An uncompressed signal would cause a sound meter to peak in the red as you play with an aggressive attack. With compression the sound is usually pretty consistent in output level.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz