Thread: can anyone help me identify this amp?

Post Thanks / Like

Default can anyone help me identify this amp?

All it says is a peavey vintage....with 6 x 10....no other info is given on it. Anyone know anything about this amp?

http://www.gbase.com/Powered/GearDet...8&Item=1638381

If anyone can tell me anything about this amp please do.
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen one of these myself but it is basically a Classic amph like the Classic 30 or 50.

Here is what I could find. The price seems a little high.
    http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...y/Vintage/10/1

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't know anything personally, but this guy lists some details in his craigslist ad.
    http://madison.craigslist.org/msg/372255302.html
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

120 watts SOLID STATE preamp and 6 x 10.. built around '72 and hand wired.

I think I will offer mike at mikes music 250 dollars for it (its been rode hard and put away wet) and see what he says. It would make a killer amp to have
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a really cool looking amp! 6x10 should produce a really interesting sound!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LagrangeCalvert

I think I will offer mike at mikes music 250 dollars for it (its been rode hard and put away wet) and see what he says. It would make a killer amp to have
    That would be very much like the Peavey Mace which is an outstanding amph. Some of the best clean tones available.

Does this one use the combiner footswitch? There would be a multi pin din plug somewhere on the head if it does. If it doesn't come with the switch and you think you'll want that function then you can barter the price down because to get the switch is $60-$80 USD.

All those 6L6's are amazing...but expensive to replace.

Post Thanks / Like

do you think my price is fair?

Post Thanks / Like

do you think my price is fair?
    If it works, no speakers are blown and it doesn' need the combiner footswitch then I say yes.

Post Thanks / Like

ARE YOU SURE IT IS SOLID STATE PRE-AMP?

What I mean is originaly the 'Vintage' teeds had 2 'COMPACTRONS'.. or that is what they used to call them..

They were mini, flat tubes that are on the inside of the back cover, but you can't see them unless you remove the cover, and they rarely go bad, but as of 15 years ago I know as a fact you could still get them on the open market, BUT I had to cut out the back where they stuck out of the back panel a bit, because they stuck out a bit farther than the originals.. but I didn't look real hard for .. but they do glow, and they are in replace of what would be a normal 12ax7 circuit (as I understand)..

Sooo..

Are you SURE it is a Solid State Pre-

I had one just like it, of course mine was modified with a 'master volume' I ran out the back panel too.

They are a fine amp and are built like horses.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.answers.com/topic/compactron

you mean theese?....well I only glanced at the amp while I was at the shoppe...soooo its more than possible that there is a tube preamp. I saw the amp, I saw the price and the wattage/dollar value....plus its just got some mojo goin on......I want it bad!......so 250 is a fair price cause it's low balling him quite a bit....I'm worried since he deals with only vintage gear he will laugh in my face and some dumb kid will take all his saved up money mommy gave him and buy it....grrr!

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.answers.com/topic/compactron

you mean theese?....well I only glanced at the amp while I was at the shoppe...soooo its more than possible that there is a tube preamp. I saw the amp, I saw the price and the wattage/dollar value....plus its just got some mojo goin on......I want it bad!......so 250 is a fair price cause it's low balling him quite a bit....I'm worried since he deals with only vintage gear he will laugh in my face and some dumb kid will take all his saved up money mommy gave him and buy it....grrr!

The compactrons in the Vintage, assuming it had them, are like that, but shorter and stubbier.. maybe 2.5 inches tall.

As for price, I have seen them go for over 6.. but in the recent market anything over 300-350 leaves you a LOT of alternatives.

Worst he can do is laugh at you.. if he is smart, the best he can do is accept and counter offer if he has more into it.

They are pretty hard to move I would think.. fewer and fewer people need a giant amp of such power..

Give him an offer.. he might just accept it no questions asked.

pes_laul Guest

no idea