Thread: Working With My New Compressor Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Working With My New Compressor Pedal

I received $70 in Long and McQuade gift cards from my boss for "Administrative Professionals Day (or whatever PC term they are using for "Secretary's Day" now - LOL!) - which I found really funny because I'm a Project Manager. However I do help out with some IT, proposals and technical writing, bill processing and general office stuff.

So yesterday we were in the city and I just had to swing by L&M. I've always wanted to try a compressor pedal and ended up bringing home Marshall's ED-1 "Edward the Compressor" (because it was exactly $70 before tax ).

I've been playing around with it a little bit and re-organizing my pedal board. Still lots to learn about setting this one up. Here's what I've got so far. Any tips, tricks, advice would be appreciated.

Guitar > ED-1 Compressor > Behringer Blues Overdrive > Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion > Behringer EQ > Peavey Bandit.

I have my RP-80 in the effects loop for modulation, delays, reverb etc. I use the Fender Deluxe Reverb amp model with the clean channel of the Bandit to simulate some country twang, but other than that I turn amp modeling off with most of my patches. I had the EQ in the effects loop as well, not sure where it is going to end up yet. I moved it to the incoming effects chain for cable management more than anything. It helps open up the tone of the amp, though it is a bit noisy.

With the Fender amp model, lots of 'verb, compression and a wee bit of OD for some tube-like break up, I get a pretty spanky Dwight Yoakam-ish tone - shooting for Brad Paisley, but can't afford Dr. Z's, custom Bill Crook teles and various other boutique gear

How, when and where are you using compression?

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes (uhmm, read "rarely") use compression first in the pedal chain going ino my Hellhound, using a clean amp sound. The only time I do this though is for country songs. I personally don't like compressors much - that squished sound doesn't sound good to my ears. I'd rather use a clean boost pedal to get a fatter tone. Even an OD pedal with some grit and the volume knob rolled off a bit. This is just my personal view and as always, let your ears be the final judge!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use an MXR Dyna Comp first in my chain (after the wah) for many years. I loved having a little extra kick if I needed it and instant good feedback too.

Now days I'm like Robert and use a clean boost or a little overdrive with the tube amph tuned up so that it just starts to sweat.

I got rid of the Dyna and have a vintage Ibanez CP9 but I almost never use it except for when I play bass. I guess I let the tubes do the compressing and I don't care if my sound has a little grind to it even if I'm trying to play clean.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.