Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bashing the skills of a pro ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default bashing the skills of a pro ?

I observe other guitar forums, hardly ever post, mostly reading.
    I have noticed in other forums (not the fret ) the tendency for some to bash legendary artists (lately Clapton).
    His tone sucks.. his best days are gone.. too predictable.. nothing good in the past 25 years blah blah blah.

I realize that these are opinions, we are all entitled to them and that opinions are like a$$ho7es, everybody has one.

I would be quite happy to be as predictable and suck as bad.

I don't get it, someone enlighten me please.
    Perhaps I aswered my own question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    I observe other guitar forums, hardly ever post, mostly reading.
    I have noticed in other forums (not the fret ) the tendency for some to bash legendary artists (lately Clapton).
    His tone sucks.. his best days are gone.. too predictable.. nothing good in the past 25 years blah blah blah.

I realize that these are opinions, we are all entitled to them and that opinions are like a$$ho7es, everybody has one.

I would be quite happy to be as predictable and suck as bad.

ted ,those kind of people have nothing better to do,and thats very sad,negative about everything and always putting someone down.I never go to other forums like those anymore.the fret is THE place to be my friend.All Positve here and Great people,always sharing and helping each other.can't get any better than here

Guitars: 99 Gibson ES-335,1985 Gibson Les Paul 59 Reissue,Schecter C1 Artist,Squire 51,Peavey Generation Triple/single EX,Fender Deluxe Fat Strat, Cortez Acoustic,Epiphone Acoustic.

Effects: Arion SCH-1 Chorus,Boss BD2,Bad Monkey,Boss DD3 Delay,Boss GE-7 EQ ,Arion SOD-1 overdrive,TC Electronic Nova Repeater Delay,Ibanez Tone-Lok DE7 Delay/Echo.

Amps: B52 AT-212 100watt all Tube ,FMJ SS(being restored),1=Epiphone Valve Junior Head and 2 matching Cabs, Hughes& Kettner Edition Blue 15DFX, Crate V18 112,Fender Super Champ XD,Fender 25R Frontman Series II.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ted s

We Fretters just don't go there!

Golden rule ... if you have nothing good to say about someone, don't say nothing at all. I believe that is a quote from a Disney movie.

Here at the Fret Net, if we think we said something wrong, we apologize. I know I did way back a few years. OMG has it been that long????
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Envy. Plain and simple. They all probably live in their grandmother's basements also.
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

The ones that always put Clapton down are usualy the same ones that have no soul of their own in their playing. They just don't get it and why waste time trying to change somebody's taste its only their opinion it ain't godsend...but those debates usualy ruffle feathers on forums and no good ever comes of it, I always like to think every guitar player has something to offer in some fashion and try and keep an open mind....its a style choice and thats all.
    Cannuck on a mission
    Guitars: Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Roadstar 2, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Gibson Flying V, Yamaha 12 string, some beat up old classical
    Amps: 1969 Fender Twin Reverb, 2002 Line 6 Flextone 2
    Effects: Digitech GNX4, Boss ME30, and a whack of pedals

http://www.myspace.com/zeussethegod

Post Thanks / Like

It's kind of like this:

How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb?

7 - One to change the light bulb and six to tell each other how much better they could have done it.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    It's kind of like this:

How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb?

7 - One to change the light bulb and six to tell each other how much better they could have done it.

Cool Spuds! I like it.
    Guitars:

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to find this I was checking out a Clapton is crap thread. The problem is they want him to stay in a time capsule and sound like he did 40 years ago. Not to mention personally Eric is one of the nicest and most humble guys you'd ever wanna meet and he's in his 60's! I wanna see the chops on the bashers when they turn 60 let alone now. So to sum it up 40+ year successful career, battled his personal demons and won, numerous gold/platinum albums all this doing what he loves to do. Theres a real failure huh!

How many guitarists does it take to change that bulb...............

one to change it and 7 to figure out how Clapton would do it.
    Last edited by Mark; July 23rd, 2007 at 12:35 PM.
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the Beano Lightbulb much better than the sucky 80s era one.....
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I think the biggest diff between the Fret and other forums in this regard is that when we Fretters have something "negative" to say about an artist, (a) we don't use words like "sucks" to describe other musicians, and (b) we offer specific criticism [ie. not "clapton sucks now," but "i am not a fan of clapton's specific tone on such and such specific song"]. I have no problem critiquing an artist, because nobody is beyond criticism, that's just part of being a musician. However, as a musician, I recognize how difficult it is, and I seldom criticize something without offering up something positive to say about it as well. For instance, I have criticized Clapton before because, quite frankly, I have never found his tone that spectacular, however, I have never failed to say that (a) tone aside, his playing is incredible and full of genuine soul, and (b) he is a great songwriter. That to me is the difference between Fret posts and those I have seen elsewhere. Here, we show respect for our fellow musicians and each other's opinions.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    I think the biggest diff between the Fret and other forums in this regard is that when we Fretters have something "negative" to say about an artist, (a) we don't use words like "sucks" to describe other musicians, and (b) we offer specific criticism [ie. not "clapton sucks now," but "i am not a fan of clapton's specific tone on such and such specific song"]. I have no problem critiquing an artist, because nobody is beyond criticism, that's just part of being a musician. However, as a musician, I recognize how difficult it is, and I seldom criticize something without offering up something positive to say about it as well. For instance, I have criticized Clapton before because, quite frankly, I have never found his tone that spectacular, however, I have never failed to say that (a) tone aside, his playing is incredible and full of genuine soul, and (b) he is a great songwriter. That to me is the difference between Fret posts and those I have seen elsewhere. Here, we show respect for our fellow musicians and each other's opinions.
    Bingo!! It called having some class........BTW checked your site Jayson nice work!
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Im just in awwww of anyone that can pick up a guitar and get sound out of it.. so.. picking on artists that make a living at it...aint gonna happen.. just common sense.. I can make myself look stupid in other ways than that!!

Huh..Uhh...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

...song by the firm, who, IMHO sucked.
    Im not such a big fan of this forum any longer, not since my difference of opinion about Hendrix...and then getting called on the carpet by the management about it. Id like to think I was very civil about my difference in opinion...even gave constructive reasons why I dont think hes god-like.
    I hardly even wanna post here anymore...not even in non-subjective posts.

I understand milk and cookies is quite palletable...but yall agree so much is somewhat annoying...especially if you cant form a constructive difference of opinion without hearing about it from the mods. And in the mods' defense, one was very nice and the other was a bit aggressive...the whole incident really left a bad taste in my mouth...and I dont know exactly how much longer I'll be posting around here...not that I will be missed, but eh *shrug*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBuSX
    Im not such a big fan of this forum any longer, not since my difference of opinion about Hendrix...and then getting called on the carpet by the management about it. Id like to think I was very civil about my difference in opinion...even gave constructive reasons why I dont think hes god-like.
    I hardly even wanna post here anymore...not even in non-subjective posts.

I understand milk and cookies is quite palletable...but yall agree so much is somewhat annoying...especially if you cant form a constructive difference of opinion without hearing about it from the mods. And in the mods' defense, one was very nice and the other was a bit aggressive...the whole incident really left a bad taste in my mouth...and I dont know exactly how much longer I'll be posting around here...not that I will be missed, but eh *shrug*
    I refuse to be baited. Don't like something I said or the way I said, there are recourses. If you don't like how those recourses played out, don't come back to me looking for more. I said what I said in that post and I stand by every word of it. If I were able to be baited I'd suggest that perhaps we can subject that previos thread to a bit of a poll question. You know, figure out once and for all who made their point in a more convincing manner. I doubt you want that, though from this post I doubt I know what it is you want. What you'll get is me not posting after you any longer.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Ive no need to rebuttle...Ive made my points.

Post Thanks / Like

What'd we miss?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm... there must be something wrong with my 'puter, I thought I clicked on the fret...

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

OK this is not cool! Let's keep it friendly guys. If you want flex those finger muscles, do through the PM process. Thank you.
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I'm plenty friendly until someone tries to call me out on something. Then, like anyone else, I defend myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast