Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok I don't get it (Heart Attacks)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Just found this little morsel of information. It only applies to those that want to improve their health or stay healthy.

Oat vs. Wheat

Here's a fascinating study by Dr. Brenda Davy and colleagues at Colorado State University that examined the NMR lipoprotein differences between a diet enriched in oats and one enriched with wheat. (Davy BM, Davy KP, Ho RC et al. High-fiber oat cereal compared with wheat cereal consumption favorably alters LDL-cholesterol subclass and particle numbers in middle-aged and older men. Am J Clin Nutr 2002; 76:351-358.)

36 sedentary, overweight men (average BMI around 30--obese), aged 50-75 years, were given a diet enriched with either oat bran (as oatmeal and oat bran, providing 5.5 grams of beta-glucan) or wheat (as a hot cereal or Frosted Mini-Wheats), with equivalent calories in each group. All underwent baseline NMR lipoprotein analysis.

Three months later, there were no differences in "anthropometrics" like weight, waist size, or BMI (though there was a trend towards larger waistlines in the wheat group). The NMR lipoprotein analysis was repeated.

Comparison of the lipoprotein changes revealed:

--LDL cholesterol: Down 2.5% with oats, up 8.0% with wheat.

--LDL particle number: Down 5% with oats, up 14.2% with wheat.

--Small LDL: Down 17.3% with oats, up 60.4% with wheat.

--Triglycerides: Down 7.6% with oats, up 22.0% with wheat.

The across-the-board differences between the wheat and oat effects were astounding. In particular, note the extraordinary effect on small LDL particles: wheat triggered a 60% increase.

Similar studies yielding similar results have been conducted elsewhere, including Dr. Ronald Krauss' group at University of California-Berkeley.

Now, this was a study conducted under the somewhat artificial circumstances of a study. But imagine this sort of habitual intake continues, not for just three months, but for years. After all, wheat has expanded and metastasized to all three meals, snacks, every day, 7 days a week in most Americans' diet.

What a wonderfully graphic representation of the undesirable effects of wheat products. When you see Mini-Wheats, Shredded Wheat, whole grain bread, whole wheat bread, whole wheat crackers, Raisin Bran, and the thousands of other wheat-containing products that promise health, run the other way. Grab some oat bran on the way out.

Being half Italian on my mother's side (the FOOD side), I absolutely love Italian foods, that are mostly wheat based - pasta and pizza in particular. So, cutting back on wheat has been a real challenge for me, but one that has been worth it. That diet change alone has been worth -15 lbs.

As to the jogging for health...

I think if one has been a jogger since they were young, then continuing it into one's 50's shouldn't be a problem (with certain exceptions). Walking has been proven to offer nearly the same health benefits for people over 50, without the cardio vascular strain that jogging often causes. When you consider the level at which a middle aged jogger would be running - which is undoubtedly far below that of a much younger and more fit individual - the risks of jogging far outweight the health benefits for the middle aged.

My wife is an avid walker (insanely dedicated might be more appropriate), and she weighs less now than she did at 25. She used to jog, but gave it up for walking after a foot injury. It's been since she's started walking that she has experienced not only greater weight loss, but a quantifiable reduction in body fat (BMI) as well. She's 2-1/2 dress sizes smaller now than when we we married, and that isn't just about weight, it's fat loss as well. She doesn't eat oats though (despises oatmeal), but she eats little wheat as well.

Bicycle riding is also really great because it's low impact (on the joints), and at a normal, comfortable pace, isn't as stressful to the cardio-pulmonary system as jogging is.

Another interesting little side note. Wheat and dairy products top the list of food alergies according to nutritionalists and holistic doctors. One of the ways that these allergies manifest themselves is in preventing the body from properly metabolizing foods, which often leads to weight retention.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so what kind of bread is better then? So whole wheat bread is now bad for you?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    Ok so what kind of bread is better then?
    Bread that is green and has dead presidents on it - relieves GAS.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Bread that is green and has dead presidents on it - relieves GAS.
    Ah of course! Bread.....the relative of dough! LMAO
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    Ok so what kind of bread is better then? So whole wheat bread is now bad for you?
    Like so many things, it's not so much that eating wheat is necessarily bad for you in moderate amounts. It's that in the American diet, there's way too much of it. Whole wheat, whole grain, rye, pumpernickle, - all are certainly better than white bread made with bleached white flour.

It's a little like wine. A little with a meal is ok, and maybe a little beneficial. Too much can kill you.

BTW: Green back bread makes lousy sandwiches...

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat

I agree, especially later in the day when you start to make change
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    Like so many things, it's not so much that eating wheat is necessarily bad for you in moderate amounts. It's that in the American diet, there's way too much of it. Whole wheat, whole grain, rye, pumpernickle, - all are certainly better than white bread made with bleached white flour.

It's a little like wine. A little with a meal is ok, and maybe a little beneficial. Too much can kill you.

But Green back speakers are the schnitz. ude:

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I missed this thread. I'm jumping in by mentioning a US top marathoner died in the US olympic marathon trials last weekend. Very sad. Not sure why he died.

Some people are born with heart defects, and sometimes they find this out at an autopsy... kinda too late then, huh?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I missed this thread. I'm jumping in by mentioning a US top marathoner died in the US olympic marathon trials last weekend. Very sad. Not sure why he died.

Some people are born with heart defects, and sometimes they find this out at an autopsy... kinda too late then, huh?
    That is sad sorry to hear that too. You see Rob that is primarily why I started this thread to begin with. It's ironic that even people who are in good shape can still get heart attacks. But like you said it's usually because of some pre existing condition that isn't seen until it's too late. *gulp* I guess life is a game of chance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12