Thread: Ive_been_living_under_a_rock!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ive_been_living_under_a_rock!

I just found out about Wes Montgomery. OMG!!! WHAT HAVE I BEEN MISSING???

Wes Montgomery - Round Midnight:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAtNJdnaEGY
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, he's one of the greats! If you haven't heard "Smokin' At the Half Note" I highly recommend it, its a classic. He's influenced my playing a bit, especially his use of octaves.

His early stuff was GREAT - his later recordings (from the mid 60s on) with A & M though tend to be a lot more pop-sh and overproduced (although he did record a lot of interesting covers during that time). Just something to keep in mind if you seek out some of his cds.
    Electrics: Epiphone Les Paul Standard (w/S.D. pups - JB-4/bridge, SH-'59 neck), Fender Fat Strat (Mexican), Squier Fat Tele, Squier '51, Agile Valkyrie III, Ibanez Artcore AF75, Washburn OS OE30 Delta King, Dean Vendetta XM (w/ Dimarzios, D-Sonic/bridge, Air Norton/neck), Silvertone archtop (late 60s/early 70s), Titan EG-1 strat, Gibson G-3 bass, Fullerton strat

Acoustics: Sigma DM-5 (Japanese), Silvertone archtop (early 50s), Yamaha FG-110 (Korean), Alvarez RD20 12 string, Silvertone (60s)

Amps: Alamo Capri (early 60s tube), Alamo Challenger (late 60s tube) Epiphone Valve Jr. Head (w/Peavey 1x10 cab & Realistic 2x6 cab), Fender Yale Reverb, Vox Pathfinder 15R, Marshall Lead 12, Behringer G110 V-Tone, Marshall MG15CD, Vox DA-5, Pignose 7-100, Marshall Bass 12

Post Thanks / Like

Also, Wes played by ear. He could not read music at all. Amazing!

Cheers,

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rkwrenn
    Also, Wes played by ear. He could not read music at all. Amazing!

Cheers,

Bob
    Truly amazing
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Rob
    Truly amazing
    One thing about Wes..

Folks purchase their expensivfe archtops these days, and oft use him as an example of why they need one..

Wes was quoted as saying that he never got to attached to any box (guitar) because that way if it got lost or stolen, he could borrow another without being confined to the need or securitys for a particular type of box (guitar).

He also rolled his treble on his guitar all the way down and prefered the neck pup... or so I have been told.

Good stuff indeed!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=676362

Post Thanks / Like

Wes, is one of my favorite players.

When you listen to him you can see how he influenced almost every modern Jazz guitar player that came after him, George Benson being the most obvious example. Pat Metheny was also a big Wes Montgomery fan as well as Lee Ritenour, you can hear his style in their playing.

I think that the thing that sets Wes Montgomery apart was his beautiful tone, and bluesy feel along with his whole octave thing. I didn't realize that there were clips of him on Youtube. Thanks for sending these along! This is great!

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

You can add Charlie Hunter to the list of guitarists influenced by Montgomery. Welcome out from under the rock, Wes rules.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer