Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Dillion Guitars?

Thread: Dillion Guitars?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dillion Guitars?

What do you think of these? There's this beautiful Dillion Paul clone guitar hanging at a local shop. It looks quite beautiful, with inlay work on the fretboard and binding, and is reasonably priced.

Does anyone own one of these, and if so, how would you compare it?
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

RA
    I've got a Dillion Fat tele with maple neck and black pearl finish. Very good guitar. Most that I've heard is that they are quality instruments. If the price is $300 or less you're probably in good shape if the axe is in good shape. Otherwise I would look into an Agile from Rondo Music www.rondomusic.net. I've had 2 Agiles and they are on par with Dillion in my opinion.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

This particular guitar is going for $500.00, but it has a very fancy top (Koa I believe) and one of the most beautiful inlaid fretboards that I have ever seen. It also has real abalone binding on the face. I didn't get a chance to plug it in, but it featured real Grover Imperial tuners and what appeared to be a bone nut.

To me, these are indications of quality. That combined with the fact that it weighed about as much as my LP Studio. Unplugged, it seemed to have plenty of sustain.
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That sounds worth drooling over. $500 for a decent LP isn't that much especially one with finish and trim that nice. What cha gonna do?

Post Thanks / Like

Dillions are great!

I have a tele thinline clone, it was so good out of the box, I have never had to do anything to it. It's a nice axe. I also have a Dillion PRS Hollowbody clone, that I have modified with DiMarzios, Tone Pros studs and adjustable bridge, Grover locking tuners, coil tap electronics. It's fantastic except the DiMarzios are a bit hot.

Bottom line, I think the fancy L.P. clone would probably make you pretty happy.

(Check out the Agiles, too)

Good luck with whatever you decide. Dillions and Agiles are bang for the bux.
    GUITARS: Fender Teles and 50s Strat, Squier Jazz Bass & '51, VooDoo clone, Dillion Tele Thinline, G&L Tribute ASAT, Agile Les Paul clones, Rogue 335, Robelli D'Angelico, Danelectro Hodad 12, Larrivee Koa Parlour, Blueridge 00028, Ibanez Hummingbird, Takamine EC132C, PRS McCarty IRW.

AMPLIFICATION: Carvin Bel Air w/ext cab, Behringer ACX1000, Vox Brian May, Fender Bronco tweed, Rogue 30 Bass, Roland Cube 30, modded Epi Valve Junior w/ Scumback 1x10 cab.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a buddy who has a Dillion LP copy, and I thought it played very nicely. Had a sunburst flamed maple top, and a nice inlaid, bound neck. I think he paid around $275 for it on Ebay. Comparable to my own Epi LP - hmmm, tough question. Overall, I think the build quality and overall feel is there with Dillion. The factory p'ups seemed a little flat, though, which is easy enough to change. As most of us already know, these days it doesn't take a boatload of cash to get into a decent axe. At (5) Benjamins, it sounds like a pretty good deal, esp. with the features you've described.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the guitar I saw is called the DLExtreme.

http://www.dillionguitars.com/guitar...rem/index.html

The one I looked at was finished like this:

Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

Post Thanks / Like

Dang! That's a cute one. Looks like a keeper. Nice art.

Post Thanks / Like

My only problem Spud is justification. I can't see getting rid of a genuine Gibson Les Paul to get it, and I can't justify the need for it to the other half. Oh doesn't G.A.S. just suck???!!!
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!