Thread: Prince on SNL...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prince on SNL...

Anybody happen to catch Prince on SNL this past Saturday.. I've never been a fan or purchaser of his music, but i caught his apparence on snl and was truly impressed eith his chops and the tone he had ..played a strat with what looked like emg's and a floyd ..man he played the frets off that thing, actually a pretty good tune too ...just wondering ..6S9L

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see it live.....here's a link to the first song he did on the show.

http://www.youtube.com/w/prince?v=ho...&search=prince

ww

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, daugher and I saw it. Rippin'. I've always been a fan of Prince. He's talented as heck and a fine performer. Smart guy too. He deserves all the recognition he's received.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

nice video link warren thanks! was well worth watching.. I sit and watch his purple rain movie now and then... always liked Prince..

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, prince is a great guitarist... He has LOTS of boss pedals on stage. I remember watching a tv show about him a few years ago and they showed his gear, must have been 10-12 pedals connected
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Great link Warren. I tried to watch his fingers. Was the main chord progression a G at 3rd position, C 1st position and D7 at 3rd position? He played the scales too fast for my eye. I will review the link several more times and try to discern.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, just awesome. The guy is a musical genius. Cool guitar, too!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I liked his old guitar, really weird design!
    I think ESP built it, but I dont know if it was available for purchase from them.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

i really haven't followed his music much...i didn't realize really how good a player he is. Might have to revisit some of his music and watch purple rain again.

ww

Post Thanks / Like

Or take a dip in the cleansing waters of Lake Minnetonka.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

I missed the show but I have a DVD that he put out titled, "Prince LIVE at the Aladdin Las Vegas." In it he plays a tele, an Ibanez semi hollow Artcore, and a couple of custom-built guitars. Yes, he's a fretboard wizard, that there is no doubt. He's also a musical genius and a bandleader extraordinaire!

I have not seen such precision choreography since I was in the military!

In addition to Prince himself, the DVD features Nikka Costa, Maceo Parker, Sheila E., Rhonda Smith, Renato Neto, Greg Boyer, and Eric Leeds.

Rhonda Smith's bass work is really hot. Check out her "Intellipop" CD.
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I'm a big Prince fan! I saw him in Edmonton a few years ago on his "One Nite Alone" tour, and boy what he and the boys played. One of the best concerts I've ever been to. That link that was posted didn't work, does anyone have it somewhere to share? I'd love to check out that clip.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

It's still there Robert.. just search the word Prince

http://www.youtube.com/results?search=Prince

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.